Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing rubbish bin

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Taken from: Falmer Village

I think I've picked up on the most important story.

FALMER PARISH COUNCIL
NEWS UPDATE
April 2011

Football Stadium
We have been informed by BHA football club of their intention to submit two planning applications for car parking on the stadium site. This is because they cannot use the Falmer Academy site as they intended, until all the building works there have been completed.
The football club intends to give every household a letter outlining their intentions.

The first application will be to park 650 cars on match days on the small field which is owned by the Bennett family who used to live in the village. This is the field next to the railway line in the west corner of the site. Access will be via the traffic light junction and then around the perimeter of the bus and coach park.

The second application is for car parking for 500 cars on the bus and coach interchange where all the porta cabins currently stand. This will be for non match days when there are hospitality events on at the stadium. The planning applications will be submitted to Lewes District Council in the next 2-3 weeks. The Parish Council will be discussing the implications of these planning applications at their next meeting and will advise villagers of their views.

The stadium will be completed at the end of May. In July there will be 5-6 events, each for around 2,000 people to test the workings of the stadium. On July 16th there will be a Sussex Senior cup final for 10,000 as a trial event and then a football friendly match for 17,000 on July 30th again as a trial event. The first real match will be on August 6th. The list of football season fixtures for 2011/2012 comes out on June 6th.

BHA will soon be advertising stadium jobs for catering and stewarding on their website which is This domain has been registered by BT

Parking
An East Sussex County Council representative informed the Parish Council that a draft response to the January consultation is currently being completed looking at how to deal with parking problems generated by the football stadium. We await the details.

Elections
The village hall will be in use on May 5th for the Lewes District Council and Falmer Parish Council elections and the nation wide referendum on voting reform.

Church clock
The hands on the church clock should be replaced in April after a lengthy period since the hour hand dropped off in November. The delay was because the Parish Council was disputing the cost of repair. A price reduction was eventually offered and accepted.

Missing rubbish bin
A number of villagers reported the missing bin from near the graveyard extension. The bin was removed by the rubbish collectors because it was broken and a new one should replace it soon.

Pot holes
These have been reported but we have no idea when they will be repaired. A good job has recently been done dealing with the road surface in Middle Street.

Shakedown Festival.
A pop festival is being held in Stanmer Park for 20,000 on July 9th. We have been put in touch with the organisers and will be meeting them in June to check that safeguards for parking and noise are in place to protect the village. The festival will be from 12 noon to 12 midnight.

National Park.
The South Downs National Park is now official and we hope it will bring some protection to the village especially Village Way South. Only major planning applications will be heard by the authority, others will still be determined by Lewes District Council. The stadium site is not in the National Park and neither is Brighton University nor Sussex University. ESCC will look after Rights of Way and deal with Dutch Elm Disease. A South Downs Forum will be set up and made up of a range of people to give feedback on how the new National Park is progressing. It will really be a park for local people. It is not envisaged that it will attract thousands of foreign visitors.

Village Way South
After the completion of the football stadium this field will be farmed again by Peter Lenihan. It will not be suitable for crop growing for at least five years until the land settles, so in the meanwhile Peter intends to keep sheep there.

Village Hall AGM
This will be held on Tuesday April 5th at 2pm. Come along and hear how well the hall is being looked after by the group of volunteers who manage it.

Royal Wedding
The village hall committee also hopes to hold a celebration for the royal wedding friday April 29th but exactly what is still to be decided. It’s a question of testing the technology so watch this space.

Ladies Group.
Brian Drury will be speaking about being a prison visitor on April 12th. The excellent Chris Horlock comes back on Tuesday 10th May with another fascinating talk and slide show on Brighton’s past. On June 14th’s Brian Short will be talking about Falmer and Stanmer villages before the Universities were built. All are welcome to come along, oldcomers and newcomers, gentlemen and ladies.

Next Parish Council Meeting in the Village Hall will be on Wednesday April 13th at 7.30pm. All are welcome to attend.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So when FPC contest the planning application could this hold up the club getting the go ahead to use the stadium ???

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Apparently FPC are pretty ambivelant about the applications as they're not increasing parking numbers (and thereby will not result on more bat on car/coach related collisions). The applications are just resulting from having to find elsewhere to put the spaces.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
So when FPC contest the planning application could this hold up the club getting the go ahead to use the stadium ???

Clearly it's not great news, but not being an expert in planning I don't know how likely this is to be approved. I don't think spite is a reasonble consideration in planning decisions though. It's in everyone's interest that the relationship between the village and club is a good one.

I don't know when the building work at the Academy is due to be finished, but it looks fairly advanced.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Maybe a couple of workmen could pop over and fix their pot holes for them, we must have a bit of tarmac left over

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Book me in for that Royal Wedding event at the village hall please.
Will I be able to park my car there when I arrive?

Southern Toon

Aug 6, 2010
( It is not envisaged that it will attract thousands of foreign visitors.) So there not expecting the Albion to get into the champions league.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Couldn't they have buried the bin in the graveyard extension?

They can't even get the date of the fixtures coming out correct.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Does anyone know if :

a- when the buidling works at Falmer Academy are finished if the car park there will then become available after all ?

b- if these extra spaces in the field, etc, mentioned above are just temporary because of the Academy situation, or if they could become part of a more permanent solution ?

Ta

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Taken from: Falmer Village

Village Way South
After the completion of the football stadium this field will be farmed again by Peter Lenihan. It will not be suitable for crop growing for at least five years until the land settles, so in the meanwhile Peter intends to keep sheep there.

Well that should at least guarantee that Cardiff sell out when they come to us.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I could understand them being concerned about the match day arrangements but surely having a car park on site for other events can only be good for the village. People won't be looking for other spaces nearby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here