Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Nhs trust medical records.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
So we are told that 9 Nhs trusts have lost medical records and data of thousands maybe many more patients. Like me how others have opted out of going on the national medical database ? :bigwave:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
That'll be handy when you turn up in a hospital miles away, and wont be able to find out any records about you - including allergies.

It's so so SO dangerous to opt out of a medical database.

Were these records on paper, or on disc?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That'll be handy when you turn up in a hospital miles away, and wont be able to find out any records about you - including allergies.

It's so so SO dangerous to opt out of a medical database.

Good point. Frankly, unless there's something very embarrassing about your medical history why opt out ?

One of those ridiculous, ill-informed, public debates about data is about to go large.

Do we want the government's databases to "protect our privacy at all costs"? If so, then we mustn't allow half a million NHS staff to be able to get access to our medical records easily.

Or do we want an effective NHS system that means that if you get run over by a bus in Carlisle, the hospital will be able to find out quickly that you are allergic to morphine? In which case, we mustn't get too twitchy about "privacy".

I go for option 2.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I happen to think that your medical records are private. For you and your G/P only. What if you were a woman and had an abortion,a man hiv positive. That information is private,and should stay in the surgery and those that need to know. :bigwave:

I happen to think that your medical records are private. For you and your G/P only. What if you were a woman and had an abortion,a man hiv positive. That information is private,and should stay in the surgery and those that need to know. :bigwave:

I bet your GP doesn't think like that. He is merely one professional among the many who provide your health care.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

Ok, so pick my example.

Say (heaven forbid) you were driving to a football match out of the area and had a car crash. You were bleeding out everywhere, and it just so happens that you have HIV. This is something that when you were admitted to hospital, EVERYONE needed to know, as there are countless protocol that you have to adhere to, but because you have opted out of the medical records database, no-one knows, apart from your surgery, that are shut at the weekend. Can you see how much of a risk that would be?

I dont know whether you're saying that if you were on the database, every Tom, Dick and Harry would be able to gain acceess, becuase that isnt true.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is all down to the persons who have the acess to the records, you either trust their discretion or not. When I had my pub in Midhurst one of the biggest gossips in the world was a medical receptionist and many things were common knowledge, she was obviously in the wrong job.

I think that the records should be on a disc readily available to the medical proffesion anywhere but the likes of receptionists should sign a declaration of secrecy, like Official Secrets, with heavy penalties for any misuse. Even to the extent of making it, if it isnt already. a criminal offence to divulge confidential medical records.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Of course its ridiculous to exempt yourself from any national database. Its stupid idiocy which could prevent you from being properly treated in an emergency/accident situation. Don't sue the NHS for not being able to treat you then will you?

The sad flip side of the story is that the NHS will have to smarten up their record keeping. We've just spent 2 hours at Worthing Hospital waiting for them to find our Nana. She was moved in the night and her computer record was not updated so basically they didn't know where she was. (sadly neither does she which just makes it worse when the only people she does know can't get to her without walking the wards looking)...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
You have both made fair points,my problem is that not everyone is a professional in the first place. If information was safe and secure it would not get lost in the first place. :bigwave:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
It is all down to the persons who have the acess to the records, you either trust their discretion or not. When I had my pub in Midhurst one of the biggest gossips in the world was a medical receptionist and many things were common knowledge, she was obviously in the wrong job.

I think that the records should be on a disc readily available to the medical proffesion anywhere but the likes of receptionists should sign a declaration of secrecy, like Official Secrets, with heavy penalties for any misuse.

It is difficult. Obviously with doctors & nurses etc, you are bound to confidentiality, I'm sure that medical receptionists would have the nouse to adhere to this also - as all records have "CONFIDENTIAL" written on the front of them!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
The sad flip side of the story is that the NHS will have to smarten up their record keeping. We've just spent 2 hours at Worthing Hospital waiting for them to find our Nana. She was moved in the night and her computer record was not updated so basically they didn't know where she was. (sadly neither does she which just makes it worse when the only people she does know can't get to her without walking the wards looking)...

They had that problem with admitting me onto a ward when I did my shoulder, as they've just changed their systems over there.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You have both made fair points,my problem is that not everyone is a professional in the first place. If information was safe and secure it would not get lost in the first place. :bigwave:

When I die I just hope it's not of ignorance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is difficult. Obviously with doctors & nurses etc, you are bound to confidentiality, I'm sure that medical receptionists would have the nouse to adhere to this also - as all records have "CONFIDENTIAL" written on the front of them!

In most cases I would agree but in the one I mentioned the lady in question took great pleasure in telling me one of my customers had just had a termination.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
In most cases I would agree but in the one I mentioned the lady in question took great pleasure in telling me one of my customers had just had a termination.

Shouldn't you have reported this to her employers ?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
They had that problem with admitting me onto a ward when I did my shoulder, as they've just changed their systems over there.

They did explain that - but the paper record was located in A&E and should have been signed and stated where she was moved to and it wasn't even signed off... Bit frustrating and they were more than apologetic - obviously live in fear of being taken to the press or something equally as Daily mail....Nana was perfectly fine when we found her and was tucking into pudding with custard!

I'm not going to tell the story of ...

OK. I will. It's a story about going to buy a takeaway meal somewhere in the Thames Valley. The medical receptionist who was going to share the meal did make the point that several places were available to purchase it. We could go to the small family-run business where the entire family were being treated for syphilis.

Or we could go somewhere else.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire

I think that the records should be on a disc readily available to the medical proffesion anywhere but the likes of receptionists should sign a declaration of secrecy, like Official Secrets, with heavy penalties for any misuse. Even to the extent of making it, if it isnt already. a criminal offence to divulge confidential medical records.

Surely she should have been out of job quicker then yuo could say "breach of contract"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here