Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes Applause Paul McCarthy

What is a fitting tribute to Paul McCarthy?

• Minutes applause before kick off

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Minutes applause in the 45th minute

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Minutes silence before kick off

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Got to say, I feel a minute's applause before the game is more appropriate.

It actually brings a more dedicated gesture to the proceedings rather than during the game. Imagine if Reading get a penalty on 45 minutes; or there's a sending-off. Applause on 45 minutes is a distraction for fans and players alike.

Agree with you on what you said. Should be before the game.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Totally agree with others.

I'm very much against minutes silence or applause for people but this is a nailed on time when we should remember a former player who gave seven years to this club and died far too young.

BUT he deserves for this to be before kick off and given a good announcement etc. Not some half hearted thing on the 45th minute when half the crowd have gone to the toilets or the bar.

Hope the club change their mind.

Will add a poll shortly to show strength of feeling on this.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Another problem with the 45th minute in my opinion is that represents the age he died - surely we want to remember his life not his sad and premature death.
Before the game everyone can fully join in and pay respects before cheering on the team.
What would happen if Reading score in the 45th minute? I'm sure Paul wouldn't have wanted the whole Amex to applaud while Reading score! (Hopefully won't happen but you get the point!)

Whatever happens it would be nice to hear plenty of chants of Super Paul McCarthy during the game.

Im not comfortable with a minutes applause during the play in any game. Sooner or later someone is going to score at just that time, what then? Do we all stop going mental and reverently applaud?

Definitely before kick off. That way our players can show respect as well.

Maybe we should have a simple poll so the club can see what people think? When should applause take place? Just before kick off or at a specified minute being the two options.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I think the club have been absolutely spot on over the past few years concerning tributes and memorials, but on this one I think they need to have another look and bring it forward to before kick off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I voted for silence but I've just changed my mind. Silence is appropriate when we know someone well or things like remembrance day so we can remember and think about what we are remembering. Very few of us knew Paul well so applause is more appropriate in this case.
But DEFINITELY before kick off

I voted for silence but I've just changed my mind. Silence is appropriate when we know someone well or things like remembrance day so we can remember and think about what we are remembering. Very few of us knew Paul well so applause is more appropriate in this case.
But DEFINITELY before kick off

Yes, as much as I really wanted to vote silence, I chose to vote applause, again, BEFORE kick off

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Its a shame the club have got this one so badly wrong when they generally get so much right these days.

Absolutely, this should happen before kick off - it's a no-brainer. But if the only option is applause on 45 minutes, then personally I'd rather they just didn't bother at all.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Its a shame the club have got this one so badly wrong when they generally get so much right these days.

Absolutely, this should happen before kick off - it's a no-brainer. But if the only option is applause on 45 minutes, then personally I'd rather they just didn't bother at all.

What this man says.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
It has to be before kick off. If I remember rightly we did it for Nelson Mandela and George Best, both of whom had absolutely nothing to do with The Albion. Surely a former club captain, known to many supporters personally, warrants this too? my opinion is that a short eulogy would also be in order.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally I would prefer a minutes silence before the game...ok sky may cut away to adverts, but so many of us remember paul as a great player in our dark days and always had time for anyone who wanted to talk about football and he was a genuinely lovely guy.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To be fair to the club they may have their reasons for this decision and perhaps we should respect that.

The players preparation for such a big game will be key and I suspect that for one of our key players in particular another memorial minutes applause at the start of the game may not be the best preparation for them.

The club do so much that is right at the moment, perhaps we should respect their judgement on this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here