Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

millwall away

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
it's only a few miles from Palace though :rolleyes:

I'm guessing fans are put off by the reputation of the non Millwall fans wannabe hard men looking to cause trouble,, thank god Brighton fans grew out of that years ago.
Millwall have just never grown up and come into the the 20th century.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Indeed. Put simply, there is a significant number (which is reducing) of football fans across the country who can't be arsed with going to see Millwall (home or away) because they conclude it isn't worth the hassle.

The way some of them behaved at the Amex is case in point. It isn't the pop eyed goons who spend the whole game looking for aggro with oppositions fans that bother me so much - there are always similar minded muppets on the other side. It's the needless unpleasant and often unavoidable twattery that goes on after the game that puts me off. Anecdotal tales on here of racially abusing policemen (when safely in a mob), or scuffling with people (who aren't themselves looking for trouble) at the train station, or even the example of some Albion fan on here being spat a mouthful of abuse when he offered a Millwall fan a light on the way out of the ground. It's f***ing ODD, and most sane people have better things to do.
Well they're hardly going to do it when they're on their own and very easy to nick are they ?

The bullying behaviour which was seen at the AMEX from some millwall fans didnt go down very well with a majority of their support, but rightly or wrongly( I personally think its time some of them hung up their hooligan boots)there are some pretty terrifying characters who follow Millwall who some on here who are dismissing them as " gobby kids ( they have their fair quota of those) and plastic hardmen" would do well to avoid.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well they're hardly going to do it when they're on their own and very easy to nick are they ?
No, but if you haven't got the stones to do it without being safely mobbed up, don't do it at all.

The bullying behaviour which was seen at the AMEX from some millwall fans didnt go down very well with a majority of their support, but rightly or wrongly( I personally think its time some of them hung up their hooligan boots)there are some pretty terrifying characters who follow Millwall who some on here who are dismissing them as " gobby kids ( they have their fair quota of those) and plastic hardmen" would do well to avoid.
This is VERY true and always has been. The gobby kids these people are referring to are the kiddies who pretend to rush the away end despite the stands being physically separate. These are not the same as the docker types you talk about, who are probably amongst the hardest people in the country - some of them very thuggish, some less so but nevertheless not afraid of a ruck.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
No, but if you haven't got the stones to do it without being safely mobbed up, don't do it at all.

This is VERY true and always has been. The gobby kids these people are referring to are the kiddies who pretend to rush the away end despite the stands being physically separate. These are not the same as the docker types you talk about, who are probably amongst the hardest people in the country - some of them very thuggish, some less so but nevertheless not afraid of a ruck.

Are there any dockers in Millwall these days? That was the reality back in the 70s/80s when the old Den was in docklands but isn't Millwall all now redeveloped into yuppie apartments for bankers, corporate marketing and media types. Maybe one or two them like to dress up as weekend yobos but I suspect most wanna be hardmen Lion supporters have become live in leafy surburban Kent.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Agreed. I've been to The Den (old and new) 13 times and the only time it ever got a bit tense was when we knocked them out of the Play Off in 1991.

What about the game in 84(?) when we beat them 1-0 and ended an unbeaten home run of about 50 games. Movement fromn all around the ground toward away end, kept in for about an hour, and even then had to follow Police directions as couldn't guarantee safety otherwise.

Also game late mis/late 70s when they stormed the seating.

However New Den and the strict membership scheme there has improved going to the game considerably. Agree with comment on leaving immediately on final whitsle to station is best option.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Living very close to the New Den, I avoided the walkway (and the station) last year and just walked out and mingled amongst the home fans walking away down Ilderton Road and didn't have, or see, any trouble at all. No, I wasn't wearing Albion colours, but everyone could see me walk away from the away end. Even had a couple of home fans have a quick chat about the match.

Maybe I'm incredibly naive, and lucky... and was taking my life into my hands... but is it really that bad now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here