Milliband promises to increase minimum wage if elected

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Doesn't buy much now let alone 6 years time.

Instead of sniping do you propose an alternative? Doing nothing isn't really an option so I'd like you to give me some idea of how we can resolve the issue of the UK being a low-wage economy.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Instead of sniping do you propose an alternative? Doing nothing isn't really an option so I'd like you to give me some idea of how we can resolve the issue of the UK being a low-wage economy.

Yvette Cooper MP knows what to do.........she spoke about it less than 6 months ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/10/yvette-cooper-migrant-workers-exploitation-crime

In the words of the Guardian.......

"The measures are designed to reassure British workers that immigrant labour will not undercut their wages but the specific proposal is legally fraught since employers will be concerned that it could give the state greater control over the setting of wages in the private sector above and beyond the minimum wage."

So there you have it, next question please.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Sniping? What are you on about? :shrug: I was making the point that even £8 an hour now is pretty low let alone in 2020.

as for demanding I give you ideas, don't you have any of your own then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sniping? What are you on about? :shrug: I was making the point that even £8 an hour now is pretty low let alone in 2020.

as for demanding I give you ideas, don't you have any of your own then?

I felt you were sniping; I apologize.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The alternative is to look at the situation in 6 years time as its actually pointless because in 6 years time it will literally be similar to what it is now and won't make any diffrence.You can't do much because rents are going through the roof,utility bills keep on rising and food and drink keeps rocketing.
You can't go to high with the minimum wages as company's will get rid of staff...The real issue is the company's bosses who have used the immigration influx and the recession to their advantage,they are the ones pocketing the money and they have no interest in giving pay rises.
This can only improve by getting job competition booming...Soon as you get this you get an increase in wages,while they have an abundance of workers to choose from they have no need to increase the wages.

Its that simple

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yvette Cooper MP knows what to do.........she spoke about it less than 6 months ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/10/yvette-cooper-migrant-workers-exploitation-crime

In the words of the Guardian.......

"The measures are designed to reassure British workers that immigrant labour will not undercut their wages but the specific proposal is legally fraught since employers will be concerned that it could give the state greater control over the setting of wages in the private sector above and beyond the minimum wage."

So there you have it, next question please.

I totally agree with this. It makes perfect sense to tighten the rules regarding employment especially so employers can't circumvent minimum wage legislation. This, like the minimum wage, is one of a number of tools needed to combat the current situation.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Labour have been too namby pamby over raising the minimum wage to £8 an hour over the lifetime of the next parliament. They should have grasped the nettle and announced the £8 an hour promise could be in place in October 2017 by making a 50p annual rise once they were in power.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Some people just don't have a clue. I have a small business and like my workers I earn less than £8 an hour. Every time the minimum wage increases then mine reduces to pay workers the extra. What happens when people like me have to close their businesses and the workforce don't have a job.

It's all very well having a minimum wage policy for large corporate organisations but how is the small business owner supposed to survive as they have to comply with minimum wage legislation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some people just don't have a clue. I have a small business and like my workers I earn less than £8 an hour. Every time the minimum wage increases then mine reduces to pay workers the extra. What happens when people like me have to close their businesses and the workforce don't have a job.

It's all very well having a minimum wage policy for large corporate organisations but how is the small business owner supposed to survive as they have to comply with minimum wage legislation.

If you are unable to pay staff, including yourself, a living wage then the business isn't viable surely?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Labour have been too namby pamby over raising the minimum wage to £8 an hour over the lifetime of the next parliament. They should have grasped the nettle and announced the £8 an hour promise could be in place in October 2017 by making a 50p annual rise once they were in power.

I can't disagree with this.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Increasing the minimum wage reduces the level of benefits paid out to supplement workers income to bring them up to a "living wage".

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would have preferred it if him and the party he was part of had not made the mistakes that they have since admitted to, when they were last in power. Had the chance to implement these ideas then, but just left the country in an awful mess.
Ed can promise what he wants, i expect many more juicy statements between now and the election.

You mean he awful mess caused by a global recession that the Tories would not have dealt with either!!!

Out of interest, what sort of business is it?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If you are unable to pay staff, including yourself, a living wage then the business isn't viable surely?

It's not quite as simple as that, certain industries are at the the low end of the pay scale, like say small commercial cleaning companies. These work on small margins just to compete and maybe locked into 2 or 3 year contracts with their clients. Every time the minimum wage goes up it eats into the margin.

If as a company you knew the next three years wage rises you could factor it in at the initial quotation stage but there's a good chance you'll be overpriced then and would miss out altogether. I think most honest companies would love to pay their staff better but also have to be careful not to price themselves out of the contract in the first place, and company handing out the contract want it all for as little as possible unfortunately.

That's just one small example of many small businesses this affects.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

We all live happily on what we earn and many people are motivated to work by things other than money. I suspect if you surveyed people many would prefer a job they enjoyed that paid less than a well paid job that they hated doing. We all spend a huge chunk of our life at work and job satisfaction can make a massive difference to a persons quality of life.

Why should there be a compulsory minimum wage for smaller businesses. If you had a minimum wage for larger corporates but not small business then I would happily take my chances in attracting staff by offering job satisfaction against less satisfying jobs paying a higher wage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports