Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Milliband about to get torn a new one by Paxman on C4 now

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
All this thread proves is that modern politics is a waste of time. There's no political choice anymore and FFTP doesn't work in the modern world, we need to scrap it and bring in PR.

The red team people still support the red team and the blue team still support the blue team. What a load of pointless bollocks!

Is there a PR system which is properly proportional, maintains the local/constituency connection, and doesn't involve party lists of cronies and toadies?

If there was, I would be inclined to agree with you.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Really? I'd have said that with the arrival of a credible far-right party in UKIP and a left-wing alternative in the Greens and with a strong Celtic nationalist presence; voters have got more of a choice than they've had for years.

And PR is not going to happen, not for at least 10 years anyway

But the voting system means those parties won't be represented in Government or opposition. My vote in Mid Sussex is effectively worthless because Fatty Soames will have the same 6000ish majority as last time, and we already know the results for all but about 30 marginals. There's barely any difference between Conservative and Labour anyway, despite what their supporters would have you believe. That doesn't seem like much of a choice to me :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is there a PR system which is properly proportional, maintains the local/constituency connection, and doesn't involve party lists of cronies and toadies?

If there was, I would be inclined to agree with you.

I know of one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But the voting system means those parties won't be represented in Government or opposition. My vote in Mid Sussex is effectively worthless because Fatty Soames will have the same 6000ish majority as last time, and we already know the results for all but about 30 marginals. There's barely any difference between Conservative and Labour anyway, despite what their supporters would have you believe. That doesn't seem like much of a choice to me :shrug:

My bet is that at least one out of UKIP, Greens, SNP or PC will be involved in some way in government. I'm certainly willing to bet that more 30 constituencies will change hands in the election.

I agree with you in principle though: it's not good when the majority of seats are set in stone but we had a referendum on a change of system just four years ago, we're not going to have another so quickly after. I disagree about Labour and Tories though, I think they're further apart than they have been for 20 years - Cameron's been moving to the right to counteract UKIP while Miliband has been moving away from New Labour. There's not a big a gap as there was in the 50s or 60s but there's now discernible daylight

SAC

May 21, 2014

I agree with you in principle though: it's not good when the majority of seats are set in stone but we had a referendum on a change of system just four years ago, we're not going to have another so quickly after. ...

The Libs should have demanded a vote on PR not the watered down rubbish we actually got to vote on.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Really ? What about Cameron floundering over the food banks and zero hours contracts ? Do you think that was polished ?

Miilidunce was like a rabbit in the headlights .... I reckon he would be hard pressed to push any of his policies through as Labour seem to be a Knee jerk policy maker

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You're a bit of a nasty leftie, aren't you?

No I am not.
While posting yesterday I was going to add, how long will it be before he mentions Ivan whilst talking about the NHS, but decided not to, just as I sent the post, low and behold he said it.
Thats twice last time and once so far this time around.
So you think that being a nasty leftie is worse than a PM continually using his dead son as a reason to promote the fact that there will be no top down changes to the NHS and then does the opposite. Its even worse that he is doing it again this time after lying last time.
By the way, I am and always have been a floating voter. I have voted for all 3 in my lifetime, this time I have never been so confused.
But it will not be Cameron this time, no chance.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Red Ed is a weirdo. I can just imagine him in his youth supporting the Looney Left councils and their policies like banning the word family because its was considered discriminatory, replacing ba ba blacksheep with ba ba white sheep and haringey introducing homosexuality courses into nursery and primary schools. And that smile...

Camicus

Red Ed is a weirdo. I can just imagine him in his youth supporting the Looney Left councils and their policies like banning the word family because its was considered discriminatory, replacing ba ba blacksheep with ba ba white sheep and haringey introducing homosexuality courses into nursery and primary schools. And that smile...

What a complete and utter load of shite. If that is the best reason to not vote for him you would just as well vote for Leanne Wood at least you could have a **** over PMQ

D

Deleted member 22389

Please go away Labour. Sorry is simply not good enough for millions of people now, when we see what we have been left with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here