[Albion] Miller Bolanos

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Yep, his quality is obvious. All he needs is service.

Which we have been lacking of late, so important we get a winger in during this window. I think the Wilson bashing has been unfair as has quite obviously been under the weather. It shows our lack of depth that he had to play the last game after throwing up on the pitch.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This is an excellent point. Our success so far this season - and despite the recent defeats so far this season has been an exceptional success after last year - is precisely because we are a team and a squad and don't rely on just one player

I agree in part, but every team needs a focal point of the attack, when we had Ulloa he was pretty prolific, but he also created goals and space for those around him. Hemed isn't good enough to do this (yet!), Wilson is making his way, Bobby is probably the closest we have to that sort of player.

Because of the way we play with 2 wingers, if there isn't someone in the box that is at least going to provide a target to aim at, we have nothing. I don't mean a 6"5' striker, but someone who will get ahead of his man at the near post or create a yard of space. If defenders are looking out for them, then Kayal/Stephens/Kaz/Wilson/Murphy etc. will hopefully be able to mop up anything the main man doesn't.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This is an excellent point. Our success so far this season - and despite the recent defeats so far this season has been an exceptional success after last year - is precisely because we are a team and a squad and don't rely on just one player

Agreed. My heart always used to sink a little bit whenever I saw Vicente in the starting line up. Yes, he was a good player and complete and utter flairmeister, but as a team, I always thought we played worse when he was on the pitch.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Agreed. My heart always used to sink a little bit whenever I saw Vicente in the starting line up. Yes, he was a good player and complete and utter flairmeister, but as a team, I always thought we played worse when he was on the pitch.

But he was such a joy to watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I must admit, if anything comes of this, I do feel worried about us pinning our hopes on a marquee forward who has yet to kick a ball in either England or the Championship.

We've lost significant momentum already and can't afford to give much more away to play-off chasers before we all get very nervous about even finishing top 6. Anyone we bring in does need to hit the ground running and, in the case of a striker, scoring.

If we do sign him I hope he tears the Championship up and people take great glee in bouncing this post. I'd be happy to be wrong in my concern.

Agreed...big risk big money and completely alien to our league.
I wonder the calibre of striker with lower premier league, upper championship, experience 'only' £7m would buy the Albion?

I can't really fault the club for wanting to cast their nets a long way from home.
I'm sure given the choice the recruitment team would love to be shopping in London, the midlands, along the coast etc.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I wonder the calibre of striker with lower premier league, upper championship, experience 'only' £7m would buy the Albion?

I can't really fault the club for wanting to cast their nets a long way from home.
I'm sure given the choice the recruitment team would love to be shopping in London, the midlands, along the coast etc.
Charlie Austin for starters but I guess its more about the total package. Especially wages.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Charlie Austin for starters but I guess its more about the total package. Especially wages.
Doesn't he have a £15m price tag?

If he went for a 'peanuts low' £7m he'll be in the Premier League 01.02.16.

(I hate these conversations, 'only £7m', what a fookin joke, football is)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our strikers at the time weren't good enough to make half of the runs when he put in his clever through balls.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

£7m would get you somebody like Dwight Gayle. Which given his record in the Championship would be far less of a gamble.

I'm not saying that's who i'd want by the way, just a comparison to someone playing in a league which we know very little about.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree in part, but every team needs a focal point of the attack, when we had Ulloa he was pretty prolific, but he also created goals and space for those around him. Hemed isn't good enough to do this (yet!), Wilson is making his way, Bobby is probably the closest we have to that sort of player.

Because of the way we play with 2 wingers, if there isn't someone in the box that is at least going to provide a target to aim at, we have nothing. I don't mean a 6"5' striker, but someone who will get ahead of his man at the near post or create a yard of space. If defenders are looking out for them, then Kayal/Stephens/Kaz/Wilson/Murphy etc. will hopefully be able to mop up anything the main man doesn't.

Agreed. We need someone who can vacuum the ball into his area, who has real presence. Ulloa had it. Murray had it. Zamora has it, but we can't rely on his fitness.

Hemed can't quite do it. I like him, a lot. He works hard and clearly cares. But he just doesn't have that presence. It isn't clearly defined what type of striker he is, none of his attributes are dreadful, but none of them are strong enough either to make him clearly a poacher, or a target man.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

This I think is part of the problem. £7 million for us is massive money and a big gamble and I would think it would be stretching us with FFP to a point. However if your looking at Championship proven strikers seems you will get little change from £10 million if any.
Rhodes - be £10 million plus
McCormack same
Austin £12 plus

Grey already cost Burnley £9.
Those in the PL - not really sure either Bristol offered £9 million of Gayle,
Is he championship proven? His record with Peterborough is 13 in 30 games.
There are gems around who can make the step up but even they can be gambles. Think Bournemouth paid £3 million on Wilson which is a good example but there are plenty of bad ones (namly our recent striker aqusitions)
Considered what you can get abroad (although more of a gamble in terms of settling) there is clearly better value out there.
Ulloa cost a quarter of those players
Stanui at Boro cost 3.25 I believe

A player with Bolanas goal record over the past 18 months if he were English top clubs would be paying 20 million plus.

Jan 4, 2016
I'm less concerned about that. Without being able to dig out the references, there have details about how he has transformed his game since then.

Indeed, just checking back on some messages I've received, and not from anyone at the club, but from people well versed in Bolanos:

1. Concerns he will take a while to settle in England.
2. Well worth the money, he's completely reinvented himself over the last 18 months.

I have thoughts that he'll be another Elvis Manu. Bloody risk and if he is another Elvis then we're stuffed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A player with Bolanas goal record over the past 18 months if he were English top clubs would be paying 20 million plus.
Like it or not, and understandably many don't, that is the key.

If IF IF MB or any South American starlet, hit the ground running he becomes a blank cheque in the Summer.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Like it or not, and understandably many don't, that is the key.

If IF IF MB or any South American starlet, hit the ground running he becomes a blank cheque in the Summer.

Exactly what I was trying to say. It's all a big If. If he turned it on and got us promoted and had a big PL year the blank cheques would be on our doorstep. Alternatively he may do nothing and be sold back to Mexico or whatever league and we make a massive loss.
Big gamble. But as you said will we really get a championship proven striker for £7 million anyway?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Only that the Emelec President has confirmed that MB is definitely not staying there, but nothing as to where he is going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports