[Albion] Miller Bolanos

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Crystal Palace rumour has been reported in a South American football journal. Too busy to source, but I read it last night. However, I can confirm the Palace rumour does come from South America (It mentioned about the rivalry too). But it is just that though.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Well it's 6.45 am in Equador, after they wake up I expect there will be news. I hope anyway.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Well he didn't join his teammates on the 7 am flight to Argentina for preseason:

RT Jrnochi: Emelec delegation does not travel to #Argentina: John Narváez and Miller Bolanos (not fixed) Gai...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Must mean he's travelling to the AMEX Elite Football Performance Centre.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I must admit, if anything comes of this, I do feel worried about us pinning our hopes on a marquee forward who has yet to kick a ball in either England or the Championship.

We've lost significant momentum already and can't afford to give much more away to play-off chasers before we all get very nervous about even finishing top 6. Anyone we bring in does need to hit the ground running and, in the case of a striker, scoring.

If we do sign him I hope he tears the Championship up and people take great glee in bouncing this post. I'd be happy to be wrong in my concern.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I must admit, if anything comes of this, I do feel worried about us pinning our hopes on a marquee forward who has yet to kick a ball in either England or the Championship.

We've lost significant momentum already and can't afford to give much more away to play-off chasers before we all get very nervous about even finishing top 6. Anyone we bring in does need to hit the ground running and, in the case of a striker, scoring.

If we do sign him I hope he tears the Championship up and people take great glee in bouncing this post. I'd be happy to be wrong in my concern.

What's the standard of football like where he's playing now compared to England?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Agreed...big risk big money and completely alien to our league.I believe the player is not even and out and out striker as well more like an attacking midfielder.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
What's the standard of football like where he's playing now compared to England?

If you look at the other top scorers in that league, and of previous seasons, very few have done anything in Europe. Most have stayed in Ecuador/Argentina/Mexico's domestic leagues so it's hard to say, but the defending in some of those clips looks shocking.

As above, 3 in 29 in the MLS (which is again poor standard, especially 2 years ago), is a bit worrying when talking about £7m.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Lets trust that the management have a plan b & c for players wanted.Personally i would go for McCormack at Fulham. Proven at this level and can play upfront or behind the strikers.
I would go back to Blackburn for Marshall, now they have signed Bennett.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As above, 3 in 29 in the MLS (which is again poor standard, especially 2 years ago), is a bit worrying when talking about £7m.

I'm less concerned about that. Without being able to dig out the references, there have details about how he has transformed his game since then.

Indeed, just checking back on some messages I've received, and not from anyone at the club, but from people well versed in Bolanos:

1. Concerns he will take a while to settle in England.
2. Well worth the money, he's completely reinvented himself over the last 18 months.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm less concerned about that. Without being able to dig out the references, there have details about how he has transformed his game since then.

Indeed, just checking back on some messages I've received, and not from anyone at the club, but from people well versed in Bolanos:

1. Concerns he will take a while to settle in England.
2. Well worth the money, he's completely reinvented himself over the last 18 months.
No one can really predict 1)

What is definitely known is that the player has had problems integrating with teams in the past (cited by a mexican clubs reduced bid when trying to sign him) and once failed a coke test leading to a 6 month ban. Definitely a tearaway in his younger days. Is he completely over this ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No one can really predict 1)

What is definitely known is that the player has had problems integrating with teams in the past (cited by a mexican clubs reduced bid when trying to sign him) and once failed a coke test leading to a 6 month ban. Definitely a tearaway in his younger days. Is he completely over this ?

What he needs to do is go to a club where he can be taken under the wing of a sexy bearded Spanish speaker who can score goals with his face.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still think James Wilson will be the man to score a large number of the goals. I'm writing off the last 3 games as he was clearly ill...

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

Agreed. There is an obsession amongst football fans with the mystical "25 goal a season" striker - but pinning your hopes on 1 player is a fast track to failure. It only takes a loss of form, an injury, or as you say, a failure to settle, and you're shown up for the lack of plan B. For reference, QPR and Charlie Austin. Without him on and off this year, they're struggling. I'd far rather have 3 players scoring 10, or 4 scoring 7/8, than 1 scoring 25.

There's an obvious romanticism about a South American flairniac being parachuted in for megabucks and tearing the league apart, but the chances of it happening are lower. Putting my boring, pragmatic cap on, if we're really going to spend that sort of cash, I'd rather the £7m went on 3 players - a striker, a winger and a centre mid - than spunking it all on one bloke who could fail to adjust (cough...Elvis...cough) or even twang a cruciate 2 minutes into his debut.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Agreed. There is an obsession amongst football fans with the mystical "25 goal a season" striker - but pinning your hopes on 1 player is a fast track to failure. It only takes a loss of form, an injury, or as you say, a failure to settle, and you're shown up for the lack of plan B. For reference, QPR and Charlie Austin. Without him on and off this year, they're struggling. I'd far rather have 3 players scoring 10, or 4 scoring 7/8, than 1 scoring 25.

There's an obvious romanticism about a South American flairniac being parachuted in for megabucks and tearing the league apart, but the chances of it happening are lower. Putting my boring, pragmatic cap on, if we're really going to spend that sort of cash, I'd rather the £7m went on 3 players - a striker, a winger and a centre mid - than spunking it all on one bloke who could fail to adjust (cough...Elvis...cough) or even twang a cruciate 2 minutes into his debut.

This is an excellent point. Our success so far this season - and despite the recent defeats so far this season has been an exceptional success after last year - is precisely because we are a team and a squad and don't rely on just one player

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports