• I don't have an opinion either way

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I'm happy for them to stay

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Mike Weatherley, the Tory MP for Hove appears to be very concerned about the campers in Victoria Gardens. On his website he says "After publicly condemning the camp, I popped down to put my concerns to them in person. They claim to represent “the 99%”, so I informed them of the views of the REAL 99% – and told them to tidy up and go home.

My own feeling is that it his not his constituency, and just because Caroline Lucas supports them he doesn't have the right to try and take charge of the situation. That's democracy.

Do 99% want them to leave......?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I wish they'd all just piss right off tbh - including Wetherley. I've heard 'Anthrax Island' is especially welcoming at this time of year...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Good on them for protesting, if that is what they want to do.

The Old Steine has been ruined by swarthes of traffic anyway, a little campsite doesn't have an adverse effect in my humble opinion.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
What is a swarthe of traffic?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
What are the (unhappy) Campers protesting about? Is it something to do with a distinct lack of provision for camping & protesting in Brighton & beyondo?? If it is: they have both my support & my sympathy tbh.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Obviously neither 99% want them to leave or stay. They don't represent the 99% and neither does Mike Weatherley.

Next! :rolleyes:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Is it just me who finds protests like this utterly pointless?

They should be more inventive if they want to make a point that gets people behind them. Go door to door explaining issues to people or something I don't know... It just seems like they isolate themselves by doing things like this.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

They should be more inventive if they want to make a point that gets people behind them. Go door to door explaining issues to people or something I don't know... It just seems like they isolate themselves by doing things like this.

What gets me is that they are protesting that society is broken. This they are doing in a liberal democracy that allows them their voice, this they are disseminating using smart phones and social media run by very large corporations while being provided for by sympathetic locals. Not exactly f***ing Sudan is it?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I thought Weatherley was keen on "camping".

Accorsding to "Tommy Two-Ways" Giles Brandreth on HIGNFY at the weekend, only happy campers get anywhere in the Tory Party these days. Certainly there are a few pitching their tents in Sussex I could name.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

No, you're not - utterly pointless. It's funny that I absolutely support peoples' right to protest and would protect that right to the end ... it just seems that the people that do, are always nauseating wasters.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It makes me laugh when they spout all this 99% stuff.

They're supposed to be hippies and liberals, and yet they are so self centred their tiny brains they can only think in terms of this little island. In terms of the human race and the entire planet they are the 1%, but hey ho, lets not count the billions around the world who live in REAL poverty and would probably laugh at these numpties if they saw them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Everyone has a right to protest. If it's an ongoing protest, then as long as it's done quietly, and not in anyone's way, what's the problem?

Sure they might be ugly, hug trees and - shit! - have beards, even the men. But they're not really pissing on my chips, not causing an obstruction, not making a noise, don't smell (at 50 yards), and care about certain aspects of society.

Let them carry on.

I don't think it will have an effect, but it has got people talking about them (and to them, it would seem).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Everyone has a right to protest.

Even if, SHOCK HORROR, they are.....tree huggers? Surely they should just put up with what they see as injustice?

I only WISH I could be bothered to get off my arse like they are doing and really protest over something I believe in. Fair play to them and I hope they change some minds and make people think a bit more.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
My general feeling has always been that it's good to see people making a point in a way that is visual but not damaging.
Some politicians have said that the Victoria Gardens camp is damaging 'the image of Brighton'. That's a way to cause antipathy. I have spoken to people who don't live in Brighton who say it is a subject of intrigue, not a deterent to them coming.
Also the camp seems to be looked after well, and often rotated to not damage the area. Whatever people think it is something that is very Brighton, a subject of intrigue, and I can't see how it's spoiling the town.
Anyway, whilst representing the views of many, it is clear that Mr Weatherley is not speaking for as many as he claims.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Very brave of them in this weather, wind rain or cold will not deter them....and nobody has a bloody clue what their gripe is and nobody cares.e

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Got to laugh, this happed Monday night, do we know if they are still there for round two this evening, oh and I blame Thatcher!

Attachments

• BrokenCamp3_JPG_display.jpg
    BrokenCamp3_JPG_display.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 29

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here