Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward in last nights programme..

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm. Good thread, and I find myself sympathising with both sides! Like most posters I disagree with Ward's opinion, but in some respects we do sound like a load of people who lived through WW2 moaning that the younger generation don't hate Jerry as much as we do: "I remember the blitz, you had to be there, these bloody youngsters don't giver a toss ... etc, etc"

However it is worth remembering that for older fans the Palace rivalry is 'new'. We used to hate Reading, Fulham and Bourenmouth long before we hated Palace. Ward (like some Palace fans) wants to move on. I disagree but fair enough.

I would be more upset if he wrote an article saying something like "Who is the Bill Archer bloke? Surely we belittle ourselves by still hating him? What did he do that was so bad? After all if he hadn't sold the Goldstone we would never have got a new stadium". That would be the equivalent of a favorable revisionist approach to Hitler.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Being an 'old timer' I have seen many matches between the two clubs but ona personal note I would rather have lost at Palace and beaten both Ipswich and Wolves we would have got an extra point. It is ridiculous to suggest that the most important thing in any season is to beat one particular team i.e Spurs v Arsenal, Rangers v Celtic and us v Palace etc. We need to win as many games as possible irrespective of the opposition, that way we stay in The Championship. which is of the paramount importance for the future of this club.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
BensGrandad said:
I would rather have lost at Palace and beaten both Ipswich and Wolves we would have got an extra point.

Behave! Beating a top Championship side AWAY was a massive boost for players and fans - AND the club made a fortune out of the limited edition shirts.

I’d trade that for one point any day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wozza said:
Behave! Beating a top Championship side AWAY was a massive boost for players and fans - AND the club made a fortune out of the limited edition shirts.

I’d trade that for one point any day.

Even if that one point sends us down!!!

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I wouldnt go as far as to call Ward a fan. The basis of his watching the Albion was just so he could write a book. The continued presence of him at the club IMHO is just to further his career. Previously a TV critic, now miraculouly branching into sports journalism ??? ???

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
LANGDON SEAGULL said:
I wouldnt go as far as to call Ward a fan. The basis of his watching the Albion was just so he could write a book. The continued presence of him at the club IMHO is just to further his career. Previously a TV critic, now MIRACULOUSLY branching into sports journalism ??? ???

What he said entirely :clap:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I wasn't about to see the rivalry begin, but I understand- no I more than understand- I feel it my duty as a Brighton fan to bloody well hurl the abuse as the scum.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Biscuit said:
I wasn't about to see the rivalry begin, but I understand- no I more than understand- I feel it my duty as a Brighton fan to bloody well hurl the abuse as the scum.

If you wasnt about when it all began how do you understand it?! ???

We all know ward is a piss poor writer - we've tried to read his book "Glory-hunter - how I learnt to jump on a bandwaggon and milk it for all its was worth".

it was the wrong article in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just give him a prawn sandwich and tell him to sit down. He obviously doesn't understand what being a fan (rather than a supporter) is all about. and he wasnts a rivalry with Reading. FFS that 's like wanting sex with your gran.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Lokki 7 said:
Because he's Brighton and its in his blood.

Thanks for answering that for me Lockster.

I know because I've seen it first hand, and been told, by people I care about, what went and to a lesser extent still goes on. It's a kind of passion that is very very difficult to put into words. Even if I could, its not something that you can just read and think you understand.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Right, I (for some unexplainable reason) have just re-read his article...I am still pretty shocked that he even came out with the rubbish that he did.

It does not matter if you are a new fan or old fan. Due to age I only witnessed 1 away game in the 80's and a few home games but I still hate Palace. It basically should be if you support the Albion you then hate Palace, end of story.

To bleat on about it "belittles us" is terribly uninformed. It was not treated as a "historical giant killing" just a victory against your bitter rivals. I braved a Palace message-boards after our 5-0 hammering and they were (quite rightly) full of themselves. The Palace fans even regularly resurrect those threads especially on the anniversary of the event. So to even suggest that this rivalry does not mean as much to both sides is "pathetic".

We will (hopefully) attract many new fans when we move into Falmer but all must be educated on the way of life of being an Albion fan.

If any "belittling" has gone on then it is from Mr Ward himself as he is trying very hard to "belittle" this clubs history and traditions.

Maybe Mr Ward would like to write a piece in the Leeds United programme. He can go on and say that now Leeds are no longer in the Premiership and Man Utd really hate Liverpool and Man City perhaps they should stop hating hating Man Utd?...I wonder what sort of reaction he would get?

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
So this columnist has an opinion that most disagree with. :eek:

So what's your point? It's a matchday programme, not Pravda. Do we all have to have the same opinion? He's a writer challenging an accepted truth, what's wrong with that?

And all this 'I'm a better fan than him' bullshit is so incredibly sad. Get a grip. Falmer is coming girls and boys we better start welcoming new fans or kiss goodbye to filling it.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
DJ Leon said:
So this columnist has an opinion that most disagree with. :eek:

So what's your point? It's a matchday programme, not Pravda. Do we all have to have the same opinion? He's a writer challenging an accepted truth, what's wrong with that?

And all this 'I'm a better fan than him' bullshit is so incredibly sad. Get a grip. Falmer is coming girls and boys we better start welcoming new fans or kiss goodbye to filling it.

I think the issue is, Ward at times, though his profession likes to see himself as something of a voice of the fans.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Thimble Keegan said:
Right, I (for some unexplainable reason) have just re-read his article...I am still pretty shocked that he even came out with the rubbish that he did.

It does not matter if you are a new fan or old fan. Due to age I only witnessed 1 away game in the 80's and a few home games but I still hate Palace. It basically should be if you support the Albion you then hate Palace, end of story.

To bleat on about it "belittles us" is terribly uninformed. It was not treated as a "historical giant killing" just a victory against your bitter rivals. I braved a Palace message-boards after our 5-0 hammering and they were (quite rightly) full of themselves. The Palace fans even regularly resurrect those threads especially on the anniversary of the event. So to even suggest that this rivalry does not mean as much to both sides is "pathetic".

We will (hopefully) attract many new fans when we move into Falmer but all must be educated on the way of life of being an Albion fan.

If any "belittling" has gone on then it is from Mr Ward himself as he is trying very hard to "belittle" this clubs history and traditions.

Maybe Mr Ward would like to write a piece in the Leeds United programme. He can go on and say that now Leeds are no longer in the Premiership and Man Utd really hate Liverpool and Man City perhaps they should stop hating hating Man Utd?...I wonder what sort of reaction he would get?

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Nail on head! Mike Ward hang your head in shame for that dross last night, you have just managed to alienate an already slightly sceptical element of supporters who would now rather do without your support and leeching of our club for your own gains. Bye Bye!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I actually don't give a shit what he thinks or writes, I will ALWAYS hate Palace:rolleyes:

stratford seagull

Jul 30, 2003
Swindon
Smart Mart said:
FFS

hating Palace is in the DNA of being an Albion supporter. end of.

If you dont *get that* then your in the wrong place .

:nono:

For me personally being an Albion supporter is about supporting our club and not about getting obsessed with other teams - but I have sympathy with both sides of this argument.

My parents generation all come from Brighton and Hove, I saw my first game over 40 years ago but moved away when I was fairly young - so at school I was the only Albion fan amongst loads of Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U "fans" and it's been like that ever since (except now it's Birmingham, Villa, WBA fans) - I don't think I've ever known anyone who supports Crystal Palace!

Now I went to Albion v. Palace games in the late 70s, both home and away, and there's no doubt that the big crowds and the rivalry made those games extra special, and heightened the sensations after victory or defeat - but, even so, I never hated Crystal Palace (it was Challis that I disliked not Palace).

But please don't say I'm not a 'proper' fan - just different.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
DJ Leon said:
Falmer is coming girls and boys we better start welcoming new fans or kiss goodbye to filling it.

I really fail to see what new fans has got to do with it at all. New fans can come along, they can even not hate Palace if they want (although most will as its is what we and supporting football is all about) but they if they want to start bleating about how we are belittled for celebrating victory over a team the vast majority of us hate then they can stay away imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here