Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Dean

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
My job is difficult too... If I was shit at it, I would expect to lose it... These are professionals. It is their only job, they get help by looking at replays. I dont have much sympathy bar the obvious threats etc.

By measurables and not just the opinion that a couple of mistakes makes people terrible at their jobs they are doing a good job, and with VAR an exceptional job.

In 2018/19, before VAR was introduced, the percentage of correct key match decisions was 82 per cent. With the help of VAR in 2019/20, it rose to 94 per cent.

Essentially, the vast majority wanted VAR to come in to get rid of incorrect decisions. It has demonstrably made decisions better. A 94% success rate in any job is a great achievement. I can guarantee that none of us work at that level.

I think the reality is, most people don't know the rules (for fans I think that is fine, for players and pundits not so much), and as they don't understand it whilst it is being applied it comes across as injustice. The referees are, overall, getting demonstrably better and a few mistakes shouldn't hide that.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
In fairness after a bit of help from VAR he made the correct decision.
Hopefully all the media attention he has recently received will encourage him to take a lower profile and not try and become a Billy Bowden like personality.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In fairness after a bit of help from VAR he made the correct decision.
Hopefully all the media attention he has recently received will encourage him to take a lower profile and not try and become a Billy Bowden like personality.

It wasn’t a difficult decision to make after seeing VAR, however without VAR the play would have continued and Dyche would have exploded. I wonder if Dean is now sub consciously reluctant to make instant decisions

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I wonder if Dean is now sub consciously reluctant to make instant decisions

Forget sub consciously, given his appalling record he should make it an absolute conscious rule that he gets advice, mind you the previous Red was a decision made by two delusional fvckwits rather than just him. Happy to see his red card aversion therapy may be working.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I can just about accept offside decisions however close. However refuse to believe a VAR official is in a better position then ref to give penalty decisions about fouls and hand balls

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I can just about accept offside decisions however close. However refuse to believe a VAR official is in a better position then ref to give penalty decisions about fouls and hand balls

The ref in the Fulham v Sheffield Utd game last night couldn’t see the “last minute penalty” as his view was blocked by players in the way, as was the linesman view. How VAR didn’t intervene I’ve no idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
By measurables and not just the opinion that a couple of mistakes makes people terrible at their jobs they are doing a good job, and with VAR an exceptional job.

Essentially, the vast majority wanted VAR to come in to get rid of incorrect decisions. It has demonstrably made decisions better. A 94% success rate in any job is a great achievement. I can guarantee that none of us work at that level.

I think the reality is, most people don't know the rules (for fans I think that is fine, for players and pundits not so much), and as they don't understand it whilst it is being applied it comes across as injustice. The referees are, overall, getting demonstrably better and a few mistakes shouldn't hide that.

Says who though?? Many VAR decisions are subjective by their nature so maybe 75% of people may think a decision was correct ane 25% may not and there are a lot of grey areas of what is the threshold of what is deemed to be a penatrly in terms of the amount of contact or whether a foul is serious enough to be a red card or just a yellow card so I'd like to know who has deemed that 94% of decisions are correct. Also the freeze frames for handball decisions and slow mo take the context out of what actually happened at full speed, these things always look worse when slowing them down, decisions should be made on the basis of the actual events at full speed.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Says who though?? Many VAR decisions are subjective by their nature so maybe 75% of people may think a decision was correct ane 25% may not and there are a lot of grey areas of what is the threshold of what is deemed to be a penatrly in terms of the amount of contact or whether a foul is serious enough to be a red card or just a yellow card so I'd like to know who has deemed that 94% of decisions are correct. Also the freeze frames for handball decisions and slow mo take the context out of what actually happened at full speed, these things always look worse when slowing them down, decisions should be made on the basis of the actual events at full speed.

This is kinda the point though right? The laws of the game are not subjective by nature - people just think that they are because they disagree with them. A good example is the Solly March (non) penalty at Villa. Plenty of Villa fans will disagree with the decision but it was, by the letter of the law, the correct one to overturn the referee's original decision. The handball law has been changed to take deliberate intent out of the decision making. It is about body position now and pretty indisputable. In regards to context, the Lundstram sending off is a good example. Live, in context, the ref produced a yellow card, it was checked on VAR and became a red, the ban wasn't overturned on appeal, red was the correct decision. Even Roy Keane thought that was a red but plenty of Sheffield United fans had this idea that he played the ball so it should only have been a yellow - intent is not in the rules.

It's on the Official Premier League website and I would imagine as per every competent organisation they commissioned a review into the performance of VAR and that was the result. In Italy they did the same and it showed refereeing errors shrunk from 6% to 0.8% in the first Serie A season of VAR. It's been done everywhere to see whether VAR has actually improved things. The problem with VAR is about how it has been embedded into the game. The actual issues are how it is communicated to fans in the stadium (once they return to the stadium), how long decisions take to get there and communicating why a decision is made to the audience (having Peter Walton get confused on BT Sport doesn't help). I don't think anyone reasonable would say that VAR regularly is getting decisions categorically wrong - there are examples but at this point it is few and far between. Disliking the whole concept doesn't change that, and whilst I am ambivalent about it, the reality is only 22% of fans had any negative thoughts re: VAR before it was implemented. It was brought in to help improve the amount of decisions referees get correct. It has done this.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Some heartening news in The Athletic today.
I feel it's the uplifting kind of story that is normally shared with us by [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION].

"With some fans heading back into grounds at the end of the season, supporters will be able to see the game’s great entertainers in the flesh again — including, of course, referee Mike Dean.
The 52-year-old, who has been taking charge of Premier League matches since 2000 and has given out the most red cards in the division, is one of the most highly thought-of officials in the game, despite some fans finding his dramatic gestures in matches a bit much.
It had widely been expected this season would be Dean’s last but The Athletic can reveal he is now leaning towards continuing for the 2021-22 campaign at least."

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
mike dean ....tsk , i think if you met him on holiday in cancun or kmh phangan you would probably bury him on a beach , up to his neck , for a laugh to start with .......NORBERT.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And he is the ref Saturday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here