Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Microsoft quietly installs a massive security vulnerability in Firefox

No, I had to abort the final part of the set-up because it kept going round in circles - I had to hit 'Cancel', then it kept trying to download, followed by the same message about Drivers on a CDRom! Annoying, when anti-virus software can't finish a straightforward download.
However, I managed to end that last part of the download and am now letting it do a quick scan to see what it comes up with. So far, nowt.

I have liked Advanced Systemcare on my machine, and in tandem with CrapCleaner they seem to keep things from grinding to a halt.
But I'll see if this Malwarebytes thing does discover something else.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
I've got advanced ad blocking and privacy features, a flash blocker (so I don't have to load them if I don't want to), FireBug (fantastic web development plugin/console), GreaseMonkey (can write scripts to modify certain websites to strip out ads or add functionality - Userscripts.org: Power-ups for your browser)

I Personally use opera but use FF a fair bit too, I like the no script add on.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
Yea sorry NHM I thought you were trying to have a laff, guess not just going though tec hell.
That malwarebytes is very good, was recommended to me by a tecy mate. Hope you get it sorted.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
linuxorg.gif

Yea sorry NHM I thought you were trying to have a laff, guess not just going though tec hell.
That malwarebytes is very good, was recommended to me by a tecy mate. Hope you get it sorted.

Nah, not tec hell really - just a minor irritation that I get this 'Configuring Driver' issue when I open Malwarebytes up.
The initial scan performed did find some Trojan Virus evidence, and 'SmartError' files - so I will send it off on the full-system scan.

I must say I worry about these scanners, that they 'find' things and then insist you buy their full version. Then you find your machine running slower for their new presence in your p/c.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just saw this on anther forum that I use. The only reason I'm posting this is because that both windows computers in my house have suffered with Trojans that I've have spent the best part of a day cleaning up. Personally I don't have to worry about this, thank you Linux :) but my dad and sister on the other hand......
I found a very good av scanner that will identify and remove malicious software that will work with what ever AV your using now unless your AV is the nutts? anyway it got rid of there bug's. (Sorry avg wont cut it)
Malwarebytes.org
Anyway have a read on this explains whats going on.

in a surprise move this year, Microsoft has decided to quietly install what amounts to a massive security vulnerability in Firefox without informing the user. Find out what Microsoft has to say about it, and how you can undo the damage.

According to Annoyances.org, however, it does something that isn’t listed there — it installs the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant extension for Firefox, silently, without informing the user. If you had Firefox on your computer when this update was installed, you may be subject to some dire consequences. In Remove the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (ClickOnce) Firefox Extension, Annoyances.org says:

This update adds to Firefox one of the most dangerous vulnerabilities present in all versions of Internet Explorer: the ability for websites to easily and quietly install software on your PC. Since this design flaw is one of the reasons you may’ve originally choosen to abandon IE in favor of a safer browser like Firefox, you may wish to remove this extension with all due haste.

According to annoyances.org :
you can find it at this link http://annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600

"Remove the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant (ClickOnce) Firefox Extension

Intended For
Windows 2000
Windows 7
Windows XP
Windows Vista

The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 update, pushed through the Windows Update service to all recent editions of Windows in February 2009, installs the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant firefox extension without asking your permission.
This update adds to Firefox one of the most dangerous vulnerabilities present in all versions of Internet Explorer: the ability for websites to easily and quietly install software on your PC. Since this design flaw is one of the reasons you may've originally choosen to abandon IE in favor of a safer browser like Firefox, you may wish to remove this extension with all due haste.

Unfortunately, Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has taken steps to make the removal of this extension particularly difficult - open the Add-ons window in Firefox, and you'll notice the Uninstall button next to their extension is grayed out! Their reasoning, according to Microsoft blogger Brad Abrams, is that the extension needed "support at the machine level in order to enable the feature for all users on the machine," which, of course, is precisely the reason this add-on is bad news for all Firefox users.

Here's the bafflingly-convoluted procedure required to remove this garbage from Firefox:

Open Registry Editor (type regedit in the Start menu Search box in Vista/Windows 7, or in XP's Run window).
Expand the branches to the following key:
On 32-bit systems: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Extensions
On x64 systems: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Extensions
Delete the value named {20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b} from the right pane.
Close the Registry Editor when you're done.
Open a new Firefox window, and in the address bar, type about:config and press Enter.
Type microsoftdotnet in the Filter field to quickly find the general.useragent.extra.microsoftdotnet setting.
Right-click general.useragent.extra.microsoftdotnet and select Reset.
Restart Firefox.
Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation.
Delete the DotNetAssistantExtension folder entirely.
Open the Add-ons window in Firefox to confirm that the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant extension has been removed.
It will be a great day when PC users no longer have to waste this much time to protect themselves from those who write the software they use. (And if you're thinking, "Why not just use a Mac," may I remind you of the MobileMe junk recently installed on so many Windows machines without their owners' permission!)"

Here is a patch from MS that allows the user to uninstall this via the uninstall button in the Firefox Add-ons window so you don't have to go to the registry....
Download details: Update to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 for Firefox

Funnily enough, or not, I've been having weird responses from my computer regarding Malware and the way my AVG 8 works, ever since downloading Service Packs 1 and 2 for Vista. I only ever use Firefox, btw...

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
Use malwarebytes as well as avg, was round a mates the other day used it on his rig there was four bugs on it. He uses AVG as well as many other people.

Last edited:

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
I've never really used vista, only the odd time. I guess you hit the turn on anyway? If not you should be able to manually change the settings in the available options.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I've never really used vista, only the odd time. I guess you hit the turn on anyway? If not you should be able to manually change the settings in the available options.

Yes, I hit the 'turn on' several times, but nothing happened. Emailed AVG with that screengrab and they replied today, saying:

"The issue probably resides in the ability of your Windows Vista operating system to handle WMI objects. This issue may require contacting Microsoft Technical Support if the issue persists.

You can try to rectify the issue by deleting WMI Repository."

Gave a huge, complicated list of things to do which, quite frankly, looks a bit scary :eek:

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
Is it showing up in the task bar?

edit:
Ok just seen by your pic that it is, I would have thourght that it's working ok even though vista says diffrent.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Is it showing up in the task bar?

AVG? Yes.

Am at work atm, so can't do anything until I'm home, but it just seems funny that these probs have all started since installing Vista's SP2.

As long as AVG is still working and I'm protected, it's not really a problem, but these computer glitches don't half piss me off. Grrr....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here