Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Microsoft giving up on Windows 10 Mobile

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
There were a few apps that they were on, and I was missing out on. For example, "Find my iPhone", and we're all logged in, so at any time we can see where each other are. Sounds a bit Big Brother, but actually very practical with the kids. My son would be somewhere in town, you ring, he doesn't answer, you text, he doesn't reply, eventually you get "in the High Street" ...... much easier to find him courtesy of the app, because it would give a live GPS location.

IM, iCloud, it was all working so well for the other 3 sharing stuff, that it made more sense to just go with it.

OK, thanks for explanation. I believe WhatsApp does the location thing now as well.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
OK, thanks for explanation. I believe WhatsApp does the location thing now as well.

It does, but that opens it up to just EVERYONE to know where my kids are. Happier that they have it turned off in WhatsApp, and we can find them if we need to on Find My iPhone.

May 26, 2004
Hassocks
We’ve got 240 windows phones on contract and they’ve been great. We switched to them 2.5 years ago as our first foray into smartphones for our merchandisers. We’ve not had any issues of theft, minimum data abuse and they’ve been extremely reliable and simple as a business tool. Our contract renewal will see an android rollout.

Loved my Windows phone. UI is the best I've ever used. Ditched it cos of the app gap. My work phone is Windows. Wonder how long for...

Couldn't agree more. Windows Phone as an OS was years ahead of Android and iOS, just never got the apps.

I've reluctantly downgraded to an Android phone about a month ago, but still wish I could have these apps on that OS.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Had a Lumia 920 as a work phone ~4 years ago now. Damn good hardware, OS was solid but there were absolutely no apps and the low end phones were junk

iPhones got popular initially with absolutely no apps (didn't even support them initially, just links to marginally modified websites) but there was no expectation for them.

Hadn't used Android before it; was still on Symbian until the Nokia Windows Phone 8 phones arrived. Had used iOS and hated it at that stage. Moved on to Android and I've ended up back with "Nokia", the new HMD phones that are actually pretty decent.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It does, but that opens it up to just EVERYONE to know where my kids are. Happier that they have it turned off in WhatsApp, and we can find them if we need to on Find My iPhone.

I think that was Snapchat, the WhatsApp one is only shared with the people in the conversation group and is a fairly recent feature.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm a little bit surprised it's taken this long.

"The OS accounted for just 0.03% of the global market - based on smartphone shipments - between April and June, according to research company IDC." >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41551546

It fares a little bit better on NSC, with 0.45% of visitors in September using Windows Mobile.

iOS: 43.32%
Windows: 26.56%
Android: 22.44%
Macintosh: 6.20%
Windows Phone: 0.45%

So, Windows Mobile users, who are you?

Me. Not by choice, although sending at the moment by iPhone, when at work I have a Windows phone.

They are truly appalling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***LUDDITE ALERT***

I'm certainly far to embarrassed to start a new thread on this, but I'm in the need of a new budget phone, and there's just too many options.

I've only owned 2 (smarter than me) smart phones, both have been Nokia Lumia's running Windows.
My most recent one 'died' a few months ago and initially I was quite liberated, reading books 'n' stuff, but I'm getting twitchy now.

Earlier I was looking at the preowned phones in Game (ignoring the kids NEED for all manner of shite games) have come home, checked t'internet, and they have this:-

https://www.game.co.uk/en/samsung-galaxy-j1-mini-prime-as-new-condition-unlocked-1853419

I can't work out why it's so cheap, or for that matter if it is actually cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here