Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mick Small

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I haven’t made many games this season but a mate who has been to all home game insists that every game at half time there is a birthday greeting read out for a Mick Small. He thinks it’s some “Albion in joke”

Random thread I know but has anyone else noticed this?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I haven’t made many games this season but a mate who has been to all home game insists that every game at half time there is a birthday greeting read out for a Mick Small. He thinks it’s some “Albion in joke”

Random thread I know but has anyone else noticed this?
I don't know about Mick Small but we could certainly do with Mike Small at the moment.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Since posting this thread I have made a point of listening to the half time birthday announcements and guess what...Mick Small has been wished a happy birthday at every single home game since. It's quite bizarre!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Since posting this thread I have made a point of listening to the half time birthday announcements and guess what...Mick Small has been wished a happy birthday at every single home game since. It's quite bizarre!
Yep me too. Very very odd. What is that all about?

As an aside, our half time "entertainment" really is rubbish isn't it. I know it's because they would rather you were out the back stuffing your faces but not the whole crowd can get a drink and a pie in 15 mins so they really should do better. No offence to Richie who for Spurs fan does a pretty good job but I'd like to see something other than birthday messages and the odd chat with an ex Albion player.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Hate half time. Not enough time to queue for food and drink, unless you want to miss the end of one half or the beginning of the next. You can't bring your own food and drink anymore so that little avenue of pleasure is gone. Can't really hear the interviews properly. So you end up just standing in the cold, shifting weight from one foot to another, staring at the tunnel, willing the players to come back out. I think we should ban it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's got to be some secret code, maybe to the stewards about some safety issue ... or maybe to team team? Both arms raised aloft by the corner taker means he's going to the back stick that sort of thing.

Actually, that's obvious bollocks

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Hate half time. Not enough time to queue for food and drink, unless you want to miss the end of one half or the beginning of the next. You can't bring your own food and drink anymore so that little avenue of pleasure is gone. Can't really hear the interviews properly. So you end up just standing in the cold, shifting weight from one foot to another, staring at the tunnel, willing the players to come back out. I think we should ban it.
I'd say reduce it back to 10 minutes, but I know how much the TV companies we pay 50 quid a month to wouldn't want to reduce the 371 adverts they show in the half time breaks

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Quite, change ends, bring out some orange segments and just get on with it :thumbsup:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Bring back Gully's Girls?

Mind you we have been enjoying the new E-bar beer dispensers in WSL so half time lagers are viable now.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bring back Gully's Girls?

Mind you we have been enjoying the new E-bar beer dispensers in WSL so half time lagers are viable now.
Banned by Barber because of all the pervy old men in the crowd? :wink:

They were a bit crap in comparison to US equivalents though weren’t they? (Says a pervy old man :lolol:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They were a bit crap in comparison to US equivalents though weren’t they? (Says a pervy old man :lolol:)
I wonder what Billy is up to these days?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Banned by Barber because of all the pervy old men in the crowd? :wink:

Whilst I obviously wasn't serious I dare say the original "girls" should all be adults now so it would be less problematic these days.

Maybe the answer us to target a different demographic? How about Gully's Grannies instead?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Whilst I obviously wasn't serious I dare say the original "girls" should all be adults now so it would be less problematic these days.

Maybe the answer us to target a different demographic? How about Gully's Grannies instead?
I hope you realise that I wasn’t being serious either!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I hope you realise that I wasn’t being serious either!
Oh yes, sorry I changed my mind mid-sentence. I was going to make a sensible observation about how uncomfortable I was with young girls dancing in front of old men and how I figured that was my problem, easily solved by not watching. But then I wanted to go back to my default flippant state and suggest the grannies.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Oh yes, sorry I changed my mind mid-sentence. I was going to make a sensible observation about how uncomfortable I was with young girls dancing in front of old men and how I figured that was my problem, easily solved by not watching. But then I wanted to go back to my default flippant state and suggest the grannies.
In the days of Gullys Girls we got free coffee or tea at half time in 1901 so I didn’t stick around to watch the HT entertainment. These days I stay out because I can’t be arsed to get in a bun fight for a drink :smile:

I get my HT kicks listening out for Mick Small’s birthday greeting

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's got to be some secret code, maybe to the stewards about some safety issue ... or maybe to team team? Both arms raised aloft by the corner taker means he's going to the back stick that sort of thing.

Actually, that's obvious bollocks
Possibly, but years ago Spurs apparently had something similar. If a fire broke out it was to be referred to as 'Mr England', so if the PA announced that "Mr England is in the East Stand" it meant that a fire had been discovered in the East Stand and to act accordingly. (This was on an ITV programme iirc).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here