Michał Karbownik

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Disagree if you are good enough at 20 you are old enough. Understand he did ok for Poland and I thought he played very well against Leicester. Certainly in my opinion better than what I have seen of Burn,Alzate Gross playing at FB

I'm not just referring to his age, it's his position. He's only played one year as a full back, he is a midfielder by trade. If he is going to play in the PL as a full back/wing back, he needs to learn and have more experience. To throw in a kid in a totally new country, into one of the toughest leagues in the world having previously played in a poor league AND without much experience of playing that position is a massive ask.

You are basing your opinion on one cup game where both sides played weaker teams, I will trust the man who watches him in training every day in this case.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It looks like his physical development is a bit behind Jakub Moder's.
Karbownik still looks a bit lightweight.

Bringing the two Polish lads over together probably helped them settle in to the club and area more easily in what has been a difficult time in society during the pandemic.
Caceido and Mac Allister must also have found it very tough.
Bringing Karbownik over and not giving him as much game time as we would expect is not a failure, in the long term it could be seen as very beneficial.

Perhaps that actually was the idea, to bring him over as a make-weight part of the deal to help Moder settle in a strange country. We have enough Spanish speakers at the club to help the South American lads, but not any Polish connections as far as I'm aware.
I can't remember any names, but I'm sure it has happened before that a club has bought an overseas player, and bought another player mainly to avoid the newcomer feeling completely isolated. Not saying that Karbownik isn't a decent player in his own right, but maybe he wasn't bought for the first team at all? - loan and sell on for a small profit maybe?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Perhaps that actually was the idea, to bring him over as a make-weight part of the deal to help Moder settle in a strange country. We have enough Spanish speakers at the club to help the South American lads, but not any Polish connections as far as I'm aware.
I can't remember any names, but I'm sure it has happened before that a club has bought an overseas player, and bought another player mainly to avoid the newcomer feeling completely isolated. Not saying that Karbownik isn't a decent player in his own right, but maybe he wasn't bought for the first team at all? - loan and sell on for a small profit maybe?

Probably would have worked out cheaper to find him a Polish gardener or something.

But seriously, Karbo was a signing in his own right. There is every intention he makes the first team. He might have to wait longer than he would like that's all

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Probably would have worked out cheaper to find him a Polish gardener or something
Not much help at the club, where the help would be needed.

But seriously, Karbo was a signing in his own right. There is every intention he makes the first team. He might have to wait longer than he would like that's all
Next stop, loan - maybe not this window, but soon. Buy to sell on for small profit is part of the sustainabiity plan - if that's the way Karbownik goes, I wouldn't be surprised. Nobody is ruled out of progress to the first team though, so it's possible. We'll see.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not just referring to his age, it's his position. He's only played one year as a full back, he is a midfielder by trade. If he is going to play in the PL as a full back/wing back, he needs to learn and have more experience. To throw in a kid in a totally new country, into one of the toughest leagues in the world having previously played in a poor league AND without much experience of playing that position is a massive ask.

You are basing your opinion on one cup game where both sides played weaker teams, I will trust the man who watches him in training every day in this case.

One season at full back is one season less 45 minutes more than Pascal Gross......

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not much help at the club, where the help would be needed.

Next stop, loan - maybe not this window, but soon. Buy to sell on for small profit is part of the sustainabiity plan - if that's the way Karbownik goes, I wouldn't be surprised. Nobody is ruled out of progress to the first team though, so it's possible. We'll see.

Loan to the Championship - that's the NSC answer to... well, everything isn't it? :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Perhaps there’s other data out there and he’s still young/hasn’t played a lot of adult football but he looks like he’s had a decent bit of experience as a full back and a left back in the polish leagues. (Via transfermarkt)

4c5c43e4536c6ae13ff71eb9b92debef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Missed out on the bench.

Surely a loan must be on the cards. Potter must clearly think he has some way to go still. This is a shame because we are crying out for wing-back cover.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Missed out on the bench.

Surely a loan must be on the cards. Potter must clearly think he has some way to go still. This is a shame because we are crying out for wing-back cover.

I'm not. Lamptey, Veltman and Gross to the right, March, Burn and Moder to the left. No crying in the Swansman household.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not. Lamptey, Veltman and Gross to the right, March, Burn and Moder to the left. No crying in the Swansman household.

Come on.

We lose significant attacking impetus when Lamptey & March are not playing. It’s their pace and skill that is so important. Veltman, Groß, Burn and Moder play the role in a different way, yes they are solid but also they’re limited in what they can do. This is why the Livramento miss was so bad in my opinion. Sadly for Karbo, he appears to have bags of skill and pace but I suspect it’s his decision making or strength holding him back.

With Lamptey, Burn & Veltman unavailable for the last two games, I wonder if this why we are trying to play a back 4? This is why the club are looking very hard at Cucu and were so close to getting Tino.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Would be a good move if we get Cucu. Him and Solly would have the left side nailed down. League isn’t the best but chance of European football (?) and pressure playing for a big club.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It was interesting how right-footed Karbownik is. You’d think he could provide cover on the right .
Failing that and assuming we get the Cuco deal over the line a loan will help the lad move forward. He clearly has skill to succeed

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Come on.

We lose significant attacking impetus when Lamptey & March are not playing. It’s their pace and skill that is so important. Veltman, Groß, Burn and Moder play the role in a different way, yes they are solid but also they’re limited in what they can do. This is why the Livramento miss was so bad in my opinion. Sadly for Karbo, he appears to have bags of skill and pace but I suspect it’s his decision making or strength holding him back.

With Lamptey, Burn & Veltman unavailable for the last two games, I wonder if this why we are trying to play a back 4? This is why the club are looking very hard at Cucu and were so close to getting Tino.

I agree with this. The players filling in at wing back have done very decent, very professional jobs and won't let us down if asked to play there.

But to get up the table, we'll need more quality from wide areas and a more obvious threat to drag out defenders to create more space in the box.

The relegation threatened teams tend to have pace or quality delivery from wide. The middle/ upper teams have players with both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports