Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Michael Caine and Zulu

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Fun fact

One of the main characters in that film the sergeant never received the VC. He also came from Balcombe and was a small man.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What a load of bollocks, both sides are given respect.

One of the earliest scenes has a KZN volunteer explaining to the English/Welsh soldiers that the Zulus didn't march to Battle, they ran towards it.

Another quote I seem to remember was when they were beating off a night time Zulu assault: "I think they've got more guts than we have, boyo"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you are over 20 it seems you need to spend your life apologising so as not to upset people who seem to thrive on being holier than thou. Bollocks to them all

He is of course right, it’s absolute bullshit.

You do love a bit of fishing don’t you Harty, in the main I think you may have come to the wrong pond on this trip, given the average age on here though :wink:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Fun fact

One of the main characters in that film the sergeant never received the VC. He also came from Balcombe and was a small man.
Have extensively researched this. Did an article in Argus once upon a time. Received quite a bit of follow up correspondence including from his descendants. I’m a bit of an Anglo Zulu War nerd in truth. Toured the battlefields on horseback, al the way down Fugitives Drift trail. With the late David Rattray. The authority on and the greatest storyteller and orator I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to. It’s a truly special and mythical place to visit. The actor Nigel Greene who played Bourne died in Brighton, and I believe lived in Balcombe a short while too. Bourne died on VE Day, the last of the RD heroes.

Anyway, Cy Enfield, Stanley Baxter and the cast of Zulu couldn’t have been more anti Apartheid. They were disgusted by racism towards their fellow men if you read the making of. This provocative suggestion Zulu is somewhat racist couldn’t be wider of the mark and does the rounds in media every few years. Bit like the Great White off Cornwall. Utter bollocks mind, but sells newspapers.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well, there was a whole tonne of dead people from the previous battle right at the start of the film

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here