Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Mexico over 50,000 people killed each year by drug cartels .

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
often wonder why every time there is a shooting in US it makes the news, while thousands murdered in shootings throughout central america, doesn't register more than a Stacy Dollittle expose in 2015.
Its a language and heritage thing, my Spanish friend says that their news is the other way around.

Anyone who has seen the Cartels antics on Live Leak or similar probably wouldn't even visit a resort just in case.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
There were over 50,000 illegal graves found in Mexico in 2020 with an estimated 70,000 people buried .

Drug cartels are killing people at an alarming rate and lots of innocent people are among the dead .

It shows no signs of slowing down .

My question is why do people still choose to holiday in Mexico when statistically it’s one of the most dangerous countries in the world .
Exactly... I draw the line at Mexico, Russia and China..... plus a couple of other rogue states that you wouldn't visit anyway ..... I have been holding off for my last 'bucket list' country, Argentina, until that anti British trouble maker Cristina Fernández de Kirchner exits stage left.

I have been to all the countries that I want to.... 67.... most I have felt safe, only maybe South Africa where I felt I needed to keep looking over my shoulder, in the evening especially.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeh so Mexico hosting some of the world cup games. It will be worth seeing how much more coverage this situation gets.

Mexico has hosted two magnificent world cups before, maybe in less violent drug ridden times, maybe it was just as bad then

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had 2 months there 10 years back. Excellent food and people. Rented a car for Yucatan and another from Oaxaca for 3 weeks but also used the buses. Want to go back for Baja California. Saw a few people hanging off ropes but just carried on eating and drinking.

IMG-20230206-WA0000.jpg

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I've been to Tulum in Mexico and we did all the tourist stuff up and down the Cancun coast using buses and taxis. Not only was it stunningly beautiful, the locals were super friendly, and it felt very very safe. There certainly is no visible cartel issue in that part of the country.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Went to Cancun not that long ago. Felt totally safe walking around in the day and at night.

Did all the usual tourist stuff, temples, cenote etc.. and we had a fantastic time. Bought loads of tourist stuff off locals street vendors (quite a few little kids) to help them as a lot were obviously very poor. Indigenous Mayan's treated really poorly by the incoming European descends from observation

Ate out in local restaurants, my daughter fell in love with burritos.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
I have now lived here very happily apart from life's usual ups & downs, for 28 years (Mexico City) so a few comments:
  1. Mexico and rest of Latin America is more violent than UK - all sorts of reasons for that.
  2. Mexico is a massively & wonderfully diverse country.
  3. Drug trade has an enormously negative impact on the country, dominating large areas where it (cartels) unfortunately control everything and hugely in bed with local/regional/national government.
  4. It's a big plus (open trade & much investment from US in especially manufacturing) and a minus (drugs and people smuggling going north/arms & cash flooding south) having an almost 2,000 mile border with the US
  5. Mexican cartels control the drug trade (took that over from the columbians a number of years ago), they are highly organised, completely ruthless and extemely well connected in Mexico & the US.
  6. The US is quite happy the blood get's split mainly in Mexico. Bordering the US states with the most relaxed gun laws doesn't help either.
  7. Legalising it would be a step in the right direction - but US will never do that and we also need to understand that the cartels don't just do drugs (squeeze their earnings there they just move on to: people smuggling, prostitution, kidnapping and other lucrative crimes - diversity is good for many businesses).
  8. If you do go to Tulum be aware that it has become a global meeting place for different drug/crime organisations from all over the world , i.e. their preffered current summit/conference place.
  9. Mexico is an amazing place, diverse, great people, tremendous history (even if rather bloody) wonderful nature, food etc etc. The football actually not that great, though some iconic stadiums. Fantastic place to visit (& live)
  10. So next time any of you pop something, snort something, smoke something or whatever your drug fancy is..... you might want to think twice as to the consequences of what you are doing, not to yourselves but to those involved in getting it to you and the real cost of that.
Viva Mexico

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Now I'm sure that the deaths due to this are bad and highly likely to run into tens of thousands (probably similar to other areas with a high number of drug cartels) but,

The only reference I can find on Google to 50,000 people being killed each year by drug cartels in Mexico is this thread on NSC started by @Live by the sea ???
Big article in the daily mail yesterday . All the stats on there . I haven’t made it up !

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I have now lived here very happily apart from life's usual ups & downs, for 28 years (Mexico City) so a few comments:
  1. Mexico and rest of Latin America is more violent than UK - all sorts of reasons for that.
  2. Mexico is a massively & wonderfully diverse country.
  3. Drug trade has an enormously negative impact on the country, dominating large areas where it (cartels) unfortunately control everything and hugely in bed with local/regional/national government.
  4. It's a big plus (open trade & much investment from US in especially manufacturing) and a minus (drugs and people smuggling going north/arms & cash flooding south) having an almost 2,000 mile border with the US
  5. Mexican cartels control the drug trade (took that over from the columbians a number of years ago), they are highly organised, completely ruthless and extemely well connected in Mexico & the US.
  6. The US is quite happy the blood get's split mainly in Mexico. Bordering the US states with the most relaxed gun laws doesn't help either.
  7. Legalising it would be a step in the right direction - but US will never do that and we also need to understand that the cartels don't just do drugs (squeeze their earnings there they just move on to: people smuggling, prostitution, kidnapping and other lucrative crimes - diversity is good for many businesses).
  8. If you do go to Tulum be aware that it has become a global meeting place for different drug/crime organisations from all over the world , i.e. their preffered current summit/conference place.
  9. Mexico is an amazing place, diverse, great people, tremendous history (even if rather bloody) wonderful nature, food etc etc. The football actually not that great, though some iconic stadiums. Fantastic place to visit (& live)
  10. So next time any of you pop something, snort something, smoke something or whatever your drug fancy is..... you might want to think twice as to the consequences of what you are doing, not to yourselves but to those involved in getting it to you and the real cost of that.
Viva Mexico
Weird to think that Tulum is so dodgy. At the moment this is the party capital of the world. Basically a winter ibiza. All I saw there were teeny bopper yanks , fake shamen and hippys !!

The infrastructure is terrible though and the hotel's a complete rip off.

Crawley Dingo

Mar 31, 2022
Well it should be very simple for you to link to the source that says Mexican drug cartels are killing 50,000 people each year then :shrug:
I just checked, Google doesn't show results from the daily mail, part of the culture war/cancel culture. I suggest you change your search engine.

This shows them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I just checked, Google doesn't show results from the daily mail, part of the culture war/cancel culture. I suggest you change your search engine.

This shows them.
Thank you :thumbsup: I can now see that the DM does have an article that screams

The fearsome methods of Mexico's drug gangs - from beheadings to eating their rivals' hearts in CANNIBAL initiation ceremonies​

But can't see 50,000 people being killed by drug cartels each year (the actual title of this thread and the source I've been asking for), not even in the DM :shrug:

Crawley Dingo

Mar 31, 2022
Thank you :thumbsup: I can now see that the DM does scream

The fearsome methods of Mexico's drug gangs - from beheadings to eating their rivals' hearts in CANNIBAL initiation ceremonies​

But can't see 50,000 people being killed by drug cartels each year (the actual post title), not even in the DM :shrug:
The problem is the original story was about 11 years ago and most is a rehash for sensation regardless of your preferred reading material .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The problem is the original story was about 11 years ago and most is a rehash for sensation regardless of your preferred reading material .
:thumbsup: But there must be people who love reading this sort of stuff for then to keep rehashing it.

So we still haven't found where @Live by the sea got his information about 50,000 being killed by Drug cartels each year. It must have come from somewhere because he says in a post above that he hasn't just made it up ???

Crawley Dingo

Mar 31, 2022
:thumbsup: But there must be people who love reading this sort of stuff for then to keep rehashing it.

So we still haven't found where @Live by the sea got his information about 50,000 being killed by Drug cartels each year. It must have come from somewhere because he says in a post above that he hasn't just made it up ???

Could be the Mandela effect? We could send LbtS to Israel to see if he can catch Jerusalem syndrome and come back claiming to be an Angel or the messiah.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Thank you :thumbsup: I can now see that the DM does have an article that screams

But can't see 50,000 people being killed by drug cartels each year (the actual title of this thread and the source I've been asking for), not even in the DM :shrug:
From statista.com

Bear in mind these figures are registered deaths , a significant number are not registered , hence comfortably over 50,000 a year .

Published by Teresa Romero, Apr 27, 2022
In 2021, a total of 43,964 homicides were registered in Mexico, 699 murder victims more than the death toll reported a year earlier. The number of homicides in Mexico, including intentional homicides and cases of manslaughter, grew between 2015 and 2018, before plateauing around 44,000 victims per year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here