Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mesut Ozil's loyalty bonus

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well yes it is, but I do understand the view of Arsenal fans which is given the amount of money chucked at him, if he would at least break into a jog occasionally that would be nice
Would that be the same Arsenal fans who aren't without blame, having DEMANDED the club don't lose him and should pay whatever it takes to keep him?

Those Arsenal fans?

I've always been a big fan of Darren Anderton, rising from his sick bed in order to demand a £15k a week 'top earner' pay rise, when Spurs signed Les.

I can now add Ozil's Loyalty Clause to the compendium entitled:-

'Football Clubs Are Worse With Money Than Me' :lol:

Aubameyang hasn't scored since his new, eye watering, Ozilesque contract.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would that be the same Arsenal fans who aren't without blame, having DEMANDED the club don't lose him and should pay whatever it takes to keep him?

Those Arsenal fans?

I've always been a big fan of Darren Anderton, rising from his sick bed in order to demand a £15k a week 'top earner' pay rise, when Spurs signed Les.

I can now add Ozil's Loyalty Clause to the compendium entitled:-

'Football Clubs Are Worse With Money Than Me' :lol:

Aubameyang hasn't scored since his new, eye watering, Ozilesque contract.

Exactly. They demanded that shit. It was obvious that Wenger & the club couldnt spend a lot money as they were paying for the new stadium, but the fans didnt give a **** and turned toxic against their own team. "We're never buying any good players, lets boo these academy products", "**** the economic reality, we want more £20m strikers!", obviously forcing the club to do some kind of symbolic gesture to end the toxicity coming from the stands and show the fans some ambition - like signing up Özil on that fat contract when it was quite obvious he actually wanted to move on already when he signed it.

Like Wenger said a few years ago, the club left its soul at Highbury and that seems to be the case with their fans as well. Doesnt matter how good your players are or how much cash you spend, if your fans dont get behind the club and the team, any chance of success is very limited. If your stadium is a library when things are going well and a very toxic place when things are going bad, players are not going to give a shit about the club and that is pretty much what happened to Özil and others.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To me the whole episode is just amusing

Desperate, unlikeable club seeking to cling on to previous glories
Out of touch, entitled fan base helplessly watching a rival club with younger, hungrier and better players overtake them
Extravagantly talented, but pitifully lazy and cynical player on one of the most ridiculous contracts in the history of football

It's just fun to watch

We'll have 6 more of those lovely points this season thank you Arsenal

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It's Arsenal FC who are to blame, not Ozil. The player just accepted what was offered to him as a wage for his services. We all do the same at work. I don't know anyone who has ever been into a contract negotiation and asked for less money to do their job.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If Ozil was playing every week, contributing with goals and assists, no-one would be arsed. The fact the current manager doesn't rate him, doesn't mean he should do anything with the lucrative contract he has got. Fans are weird

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't really get all this ire aimed at Ozil. They put a contract in front of him that every. single. oneofus. would have signed. He's not refused to play. He's not refused to train. He's not asked for a transfer. But for whatever reason the manager doesn't fancy him (it happens, not least here at BHA). So he's left on the sidelines picking peanuts out of poo while the club shovels money into his trousers. Nice work if you can get it.

Slag him all you like, but its AFC's fault for chucking ridiculous money at the guy. Whats he supposed to do, tear up his contract and walk the Earth, like in Kung-Fu ?

Indeed. Remember when we gave Steve Foster a ludicrously long term contract and how that played out?
The clubs are responsible for the deals they offer not the players

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Fans criticise players who want to leave calling them Judas, Ozil is seeing out his contract and is 100% loyal

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Agree with all those that state it's all Arsenal's fault, I can't blame Ozil for doing anything he's doing. Sure Gunnersaurus was a token gesture perhaps, but he also didn't have to do it either. He's an easy media scapegoat because he's rich, being paid mad amounts of money, doesn't actually play any football and when he does, has a style that looks lazy and half @rsed. A style that's contributed to his teams winning 3 FA Cups, 1 La Liga and a World Cup by the way.

As others have said, my problem isn't with him, it's with the model in the game that allows for these situations to happen.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's Arsenal FC who are to blame, not Ozil. The player just accepted what was offered to him as a wage for his services. We all do the same at work. I don't know anyone who has ever been into a contract negotiation and asked for less money to do their job.

Do you think he just accepted what was offered, or do you think he & his agents made a massive demand (or kept refusing lower offers) because they had the club over a barrel due to fan pressure?

Ultimately it IS the clubs that could just walk away rather than acquiesce because of fan pressure, fear of missing out (or whatever reason), but to suggest there is no blame on the player/agent side is nonsense. There is also blame to be apportioned to fans while we're at it!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
At the time, Arsenal were very determined not to lose out on another key player on a free at the end of their contract. Their fans were already questioning the ownership of the club and the direction the club was going in. They needed to keep Ozil to make a statement but very few people believed they made the right decision giving him such a long contract at such outrageous terms.

That being said, it is bizarre he's totally out of the picture now. The suggestion that he can't play the way they want to is ridiculous, there's clearly something else going on which is keeping him out of the squad which has nothing to do with ability on the pitch. I believe he's still a top quality footballer who creates chances as standard because of his natural level of ability. To not be playing him is a ludicrous waste of money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
At the time, Arsenal were very determined not to lose out on another key player on a free at the end of their contract. Their fans were already questioning the ownership of the club and the direction the club was going in. They needed to keep Ozil to make a statement but very few people believed they made the right decision giving him such a long contract at such outrageous terms.

That being said, it is bizarre he's totally out of the picture now. The suggestion that he can't play the way they want to is ridiculous, there's clearly something else going on which is keeping him out of the squad which has nothing to do with ability on the pitch. I believe he's still a top quality footballer who creates chances as standard because of his natural level of ability. To not be playing him is a ludicrous waste of money.

I m pretty sure I read somewhere , despite the seeming vast waste of money
By not playing him they re actually saving lots on bonus payments
How his contract is structured I don’t know
But to deem him surplus to requirements on those wages
It does make you wonder

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I m pretty sure I read somewhere , despite the seeming vast waste of money
By not playing him they re actually saving lots on bonus payments
How his contract is structured I don’t know
But to deem him surplus to requirements on those wages
It does make you wonder

It must be the case - the club are very reluctant to play him and it has to be linked to his contract. As AZ Gull said earlier, he's been left out of the Premier League squad which means he can't play until the FA Cup at the earliest and we all know he won't be playing for them again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here