Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Messi wonder goal - Best goal ever?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Second best, Sanchez's goal yesterday was better IMO.

So one sweetly hit shot is better than starting virtually on the half way line, taking on 4 players (5 if you include doing the same player twice) and then beating the keeper at his near post from about 12yrds out? Are you an Arsenal or Chile fan by any chance ? :lol:

All opinions of course, but for me very few of us could ever pull off what Messi has done there, whereas all of us could get lucky with a wonder strike at least once in a lifetime. Not saying Sanhcez's goal wasn't a peach you understand.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
7 Barca players in the oppositions half, all moving forward, together.

How come we can't even get 2 doing that?

The other Barca players contributed nothing.

What's your point?

Well they're occupying opposition players for starters, meaning Messi ONLY has 4 or 5 players to beat rather than the whole of the Athletic Bilbao team before slotting it home :lol:

The bloke is a bloody genius with a ball at his feet and no mistake. :bowdown:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was no better, perhaps not even as good, as the one by Ryan Giggs voted the best FA Cup goal yesterday but because it was Messi it is rated higher. Manu v Arsenal

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't understand why anyone would believe that Messi's goal was on a par with Gerry Ryan's solo goal at West Ham let alone better.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Really? I've never heard anyone make such a daft suggestion. Who are these people of whom you speak?

I dont think its such an unrealistic comment to make, the standard of defending in the PL is a lot higher, plus he has struggled to score against English sides in the past.

2 in 10 games on English grounds I believe

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It was no better, perhaps not even as good, as the one by Ryan Giggs voted the best FA Cup goal yesterday but because it was Messi it is rated higher. Manu v Arsenal

Giggs' goal was brilliant, and strange to see you suggest it isn't rated as highly as it should be, considering the fact that it was rated the best ever FA Cup goal only yesterday.

But Messi's was better. He started from a standing start, Giggs was already running when the ball came to him. He paused - you could almost imagine him thinking "Right, I'm going to dribble past your entire defence in a completely unfeasible way, before scoring". And then he did just that.

It was an incredible goal, and to see people talking it down on here is sad.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So one sweetly hit shot is better than starting virtually on the half way line, taking on 4 players (5 if you include doing the same player twice) and then beating the keeper at his near post from about 12yrds out? Are you an Arsenal or Chile fan by any chance ? :lol:

All opinions of course, but for me very few of us could ever pull off what Messi has done there, whereas all of us could get lucky with a wonder strike at least once in a lifetime. Not saying Sanhcez's goal wasn't a peach you understand.

Considering the opposition Messis goal was no less than you'd expect, a cracker for sure, but no way a classic as its being talked up, would never have happened against a decent team, but you can only beat who you're playing. Sanchez goal was all about technique, talent and timing, against a top drawer 'keeper.

It's all about opinions, Messi is a great player, but this goal wasn't a good as many he's scored. :shrug:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Giggs' goal was brilliant, and strange to see you suggest it isn't rated as highly as it should be, considering the fact that it was rated the best ever FA Cup goal only yesterday.

But Messi's was better. He started from a standing start, Giggs was already running when the ball came to him. He paused - you could almost imagine him thinking "Right, I'm going to dribble past your entire defence in a completely unfeasible way, before scoring". And then he did just that.

It was good, yes. But the keeper should have done better.

It's not talking it down, its making a point that it could have been stopped.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So one sweetly hit shot is better than starting virtually on the half way line, taking on 4 players (5 if you include doing the same player twice) and then beating the keeper at his near post from about 12yrds out?

Oh, you mean like George Best used to do? Of course, that was back before football was invented - and some of it wasn't even on tele, ffs!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I didnt make it very clear I think Giggs goal was the better and the only people talking it down are those on her, certainly not me, probably because this one was scored by Messi.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I didnt make it very clear I think Giggs goal was the better and the only people talking it down are those on her, certainly not me, probably because this one was scored by Messi.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Poor defending at that level when you have 3 players around him. Took his goal well mind.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Got to say my order would be 1. Messi 2. Giggs 3. Bale ..................... Bales superb but was more about running than dribbling/beating players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here