Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Messi player of the tournament?!?!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Sorry but he wasnt even Argentinas best player. Mascherano was their man of the tournement by a country mile. He was immense last night and in the semi.

I agree he was immense in the tournament but not the best by a country mile. I had him second on my list behind Robben. his passing last night was a bit awry.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Quite. Goetze won the Man of the Match Award for the final.

I guess the first 88 minutes didn't actually count for anything.

Goetze played (12+3, 15+1, 15+4) 50 minutes of the game, so its not that daft, tbh. Should have been Schweinsteiger or Boateng, though.

One stat that has emerged...

Manuel Neuer completed more passes during the tournament than Lionel Messi (244 / 242). Make of that what you will...

I'll make of it, that completing uncontested passes from the goalkeeper to the full backs is a lot easier than threading passes through a crowded midfield.

I see that Thomas Muller was 2nd and Arjen Robben was third. James Rodriguez can clearly go **** himself.

I wouldn't disagree with their shouts for 2nd and 3rd (with J Rod FIRST, obviously)

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Messi wasn't even in the top 5 players of the tournament, possibly not even the top 10. Schweinsteiger , Muller, Kroos , Neuer, Robben, Rodriguez and Mascherano all had better tournament than him and I'm sure there's others. Messi , as someone has already said is no more than a flat track bully, fantastic against lesser players but nothing special when up against real quality. I can understand the little magician nickname though...after all he disappeared for the last 2 games!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I agree he was immense in the tournament but not the best by a country mile. I had him second on my list behind Robben. his passing last night was a bit awry.

Argentina's best player

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Messi was essentially Argentina's entire attack in every game, Maschereno had about 7 players helping him defend.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Just when you want your captain to take charge of the period between FT and ET...

BsgNXANCcAAPJL5.jpg

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
what is all this golden glove & player of the tournament away???

as good as the German goalie is,Argentina's shots on target was zero & Messi just happened to be in the stadium

I thought the bloke who scored the most goals won something i.e. the Colombian lad?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
For all the great football(especially the group stages) the modern day World Cup has become a commercial juggernaut. Every half-time and probably full-time we were greeted with that 'Happy' song on the stadium tannoy :shootself Rihanna with her embarrassing 'look at me' antics last night was a small stain on what was a largely entertaining tournament on the football side, which was won by the right team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here