Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Messi better then Maradona?

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
I'll leave [MENTION=19043]brightn'ove[/MENTION] to his self satisfying smugness.

Anyway thanks for telling me... this whole greatest footballer ever can seriously throw up a can of worms can it not? We could argue that Garrincha was the greatest player ever but we quite simply don't have a clue. We weren't fortunate enough to watch his every move, slow mo, super slow mo, fast mo... whatever. Perhaps DiStefano was? Again we have no idea. We saw precious little even of the 60's stars like Puskas, Best and even Pele. Glorious 1970's technicolour made Pele a superstar. But we never saw him play for Santos or NY Cosmos really. Even Maradona didn't get the airplay we are used to now. And why does the greatest player have to be the goal scorer? Perhaps Duncan Edwards was greater than all of them, but again, we will never know. Maradona was the difference between Argentina winning the World Cup and not winning it, please tell me you cannot deny that. And at least you knew it was fairly won as opposed to 1978. I just think that if we mark it on TV exposure it is unfair to rule out the past masters because all we see is Messi. I don't disagree that this lad is absolutely exquisite to watch and I can sit here and take in his skills for hours. But just to the honour of players gone, I'd prefer not to say he is the best, because again, I have never seen him perform for his country as he does his club. So if they win the World Cup, and having the current best player in the world helps, I would be the first to fall all over him and treat him like a footballing God.

I agree!!! When I think about it it is impossible to rank players from different years etc. For me Messi just seems to have some sort of magical control over the ball - but then again Maradonna, Pele, Best etc did also. With Messi it is his passing on top of the individual stuff - time will tell I suppose! Hey ho at least we can tell the kids of the future that we "saw" Messi in his prime!
Makes me think though - what are the odds that Messi will appear in a competitive match at the Amex one day?!!!What a thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I agree!!! When I think about it it is impossible to rank players from different years etc. For me Messi just seems to have some sort of magical control over the ball - but then again Maradonna, Pele, Best etc did also. With Messi it is his passing on top of the individual stuff - time will tell I suppose! Hey ho at least we can tell the kids of the future that we "saw" Messi in his prime!
Makes me think though - what are the odds that Messi will appear in a competitive match at the Amex one day?!!!What a thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ernest's sauce tells me Messi is finalising his contract at the Amex for the start of the new season. Shirley he can't be wrong?

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
Ernest's sauce tells me Messi is finalising his contract at the Amex for the start of the new season. Shirley he can't be wrong?

Please let it be true!!!! I can see it now - Brez throws it out to Greer who passes it to Messi on the edge of our box and the rest is history! Who needs wingers?

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
Who needs a team mate? We'll just name Messi!
I am turning in for the night with that desperate hope that tomorrow it will be announced that Messi has signed for us - you never know!!! Happy days - take care. Up the Albion!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am turning in for the night with that desperate hope that tomorrow it will be announced that Messi has signed for us - you never know!!! Happy days - take care. Up the Albion!!

Laters dude... me to, early start... it already is, Amex here I come!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
think Messi might be considered the greatest player at the end of his career but then he has done it in an amazing Barca side.

Maradona did it with Napoli. That first YT video in this thread is incredible. And all those highlights are just from his time with them. Very close if you ask me.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Maradona for me.

If footballers could be considered artist than Maradona is better. Technically Messi might have better skills.

The sheer cultural significance of what and how Maradona achieved what he did for so many people world wide especially Argentina with considerably less support than Messi makes him the legend.

He won matches for a country as if they were wars. It felt as if he was doing it single handedly. He said he would do this as a boy in a shanty town.

My take ... Messi still has a lot of time though but does he have the greatness.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Messi is a right little shit. Imagine being him. I'm so jealous. Little shit.

And not a patch on great English footballers of our time, such as Marlon Harewood.

cookie63

Feb 25, 2012
Maradona is a cheat. That is all.

Is it? Who are the other two players accepted as the best the world have seen?

Pele, and George Best.

Did Best even play in a World Cup competition? He practically re-invented football at the time, and as a winger.

It's worth noting that the lump of leather he was lugging around potato-patch pitches, that got heavier in wet weather, has changed.

[yt]FKBEL29P2Lc[/yt]

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Pele, and George Best.

Did Best even play in a World Cup competition? He practically re-invented football at the time, and as a winger.

It's worth noting that the lump of leather he was lugging around potato-patch pitches, that got heavier in wet weather, has changed.

[yt]FKBEL29P2Lc[/yt]

lol i do forget that you had to get the ball into the area before you shoot. lol

lol i do forget that you had to get the ball into the area before you shoot. lol

You had to unless you were Bobby Charlton, who could get the thing into the onion-bag from 35 yards.

One player better than Messi, won the World Cup without even playing!
He did it by psychokinesis, whilst simply watching and willing on the players on the pitch.
He was knighted for it by the Queen. Is there a 'Sir Messi'?? A Sir Maradonna??
I rest my case.

[yt]u-mmT6dlCnY[/yt]

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
You had to unless you were Bobby Charlton, who could get the thing into the onion-bag from 35 yards.

One player better than Messi, won the World Cup without even playing!
He did it by psychokinesis, whilst simply watching and willing on the players on the pitch.
He was knighted for it by the Queen. Is there a 'Sir Messi'?? A Sir Maradonna??
I rest my case.

[yt]u-mmT6dlCnY[/yt]

quality lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here