Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mercurial, majestic, magnificent Mitoma [20/10/23: New deal signed]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
MITOMA SIGNS NEW DEAL

Kaoru Mitoma has signed a new long-term contract that runs until June 2027.

Men’s first-team head coach Roberto De Zerbi said, “It’s great news. Kaoru is our top player.”

Technical director David Weir added, “Ensuring that a player of Kaoru’s quality will remain with us for the long term is fantastic news. Kaoru adapted to the Premier League last season and has quickly become one of our most important players.

“His success also reflects the work of the departments that played a role in his recruitment, helping him gain important experience on loan and ultimately becoming a big part of Roberto’s first-team group.

“I have no doubt that our supporters will be delighted with the news.”

Kaoru signed for us in 2021 and spent the 2021/22 season on loan with Royal Union Saint-Gilloise. In Belgium, he made 29 appearances in all competitions, being credited with eight goals and four assists.

Kaoru quickly established himself as a key player for Albion the following campaign, with a series of exciting displays and he scored his first goal in a 3-2 win at Wolves in November 2022.

He holds the record for most Premier League goals scored in a season by a Japanese player, finishing the 2022/23 campaign with seven goals, one more than the previous record held by Shinji Okazaki and Shinji Kagawa.

Since his debut in August 2022, he’s contributed 13 goals and 12 assists, from 52 appearances in an Albion shirt.

He was named Most Valuable Player 2022 by the Japan Pro-Footballers Association (JPFA), while he also won the Premier League’s Goal of the Month award for August 2023.

Kaoru has represented his country at senior level, making his debut in November 2021. He has gone on to win 18 caps, including four at the World Cup in Qatar last winter, where he set up Japan’s dramatic winner against Spain in the group stage.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Fantastic news….would take slight issue with Weir’s comments though - it doesn’t ensure he stays, but is does ensure we get a massive fee if/when he goes……..win/win :smile:
Haha yer they said the same about caicedo when he signed. Let's pray there's no release clause as well

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Haha yer they said the same about caicedo when he signed. Let's pray there's no release clause as well
Not in the Media Release they didn't. I keep them all, like a saddo...

CAICEDO SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
Moises Caicedo has committed his long-term future to the Albion by agreeing a new contract that runs until 2027, with a club option for an extra year.
The 21-year-old has been virtually ever present in our men’s first team since making his full Premier League debut in April last year.​
Men’s first-team head coach Roberto De Zerbi said, "This is a fantastic news for the club, our fans, for me and most importantly for Moises. It will make us stronger as we move forward towards our targets on the pitch."​
The Ecuador international joined in February 2021 from Independiente del Valle, before spending the first half of the following season on loan with Belgian side Beerschot.​
Having made his Albion debut in the FA Cup against Tottenham upon his return from Belgium, Moises was handed his full Premier League debut in April 2022 in a 2-1 win at Arsenal.​
He retained his place in the team for the remainder of the campaign as we secured our best league position in English football by finishing ninth.​
Since his debut, the club won 15 of our 29 Premier League games that he has played, losing only seven.​

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Oh hoorah!! Excellent news.
Now in slightly less excellent news, Fantasy Premier League has him down as having only a 75% chance of playing this weekend. Do they know something we don't or have I missed something?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not in the Media Release they didn't. I keep them all, like a saddo...

CAICEDO SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
Moises Caicedo has committed his long-term future to the Albion by agreeing a new contract that runs until 2027, with a club option for an extra year.
The 21-year-old has been virtually ever present in our men’s first team since making his full Premier League debut in April last year.​
Men’s first-team head coach Roberto De Zerbi said, "This is a fantastic news for the club, our fans, for me and most importantly for Moises. It will make us stronger as we move forward towards our targets on the pitch."​
The Ecuador international joined in February 2021 from Independiente del Valle, before spending the first half of the following season on loan with Belgian side Beerschot.​
Having made his Albion debut in the FA Cup against Tottenham upon his return from Belgium, Moises was handed his full Premier League debut in April 2022 in a 2-1 win at Arsenal.​
He retained his place in the team for the remainder of the campaign as we secured our best league position in English football by finishing ninth.​
Since his debut, the club won 15 of our 29 Premier League games that he has played, losing only seven.​
‘Committed his long term future’ is basically the same thing :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
‘Committed his long term future’ is basically the same thing :shrug:
Well, yes, but the discussion point was "would take slight issue with Weir’s comments though" and "they said the same about caicedo". That's all I was replying too.

I actually dug out the Caicedo media release because I expected to see the very same line in there, so was surprised it wasn't.

What was amusing was the RDZ quote clearly dropped in late on and someone forgot to format the text to match the rest of the copy. 😂

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 10.28.18.png

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Excellent news.
Yes, other clubs will want him but they will now have to pay mega money.
Also I truly believe that Karou likes it here, especially whilst Roberto stays.
Roberto will also feel backed, again.
We are incrementally improving our pay structure which has been funded by our player sales, which helps retain our existing star players.
Onwards and upwards.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Finally some good news. Shitty week, now after last night and this things are getting better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here