Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MEP Nigel farage

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can accept the result, what choice do I have? I think the clutching at straws that we'll get to stay is laughable too really, I wish it was the case but I doubt it. No, what we have to do now is negotiate a good exit deal. Farage , in my and many people's opinion across Europe, has put his great big clowns shoe bang in the middle of it. And yes, Europe is laughing at us.

Lest you forget, Farage himself stated he wouldn't accept a 48/52 split and would be looking for a second referendum if the result had gone against his wishes. Glass houses, stones etc

I went to a wedding at the weekend at which there were French, German and Austrian nationals. Not one of them was laughing at us. They had a great deal of sympathy for us - indeed they empathised with the UK's views on the fact the EU needed top to bottom reform. Some of the French nationals wanted a Frexit vote. All agreed that the UK leaving might just give the EU the boot up the backside it needs ..... but only might. So no, Europe is not laughing at us - the fat cats in the EU parliament might be but who the hell gives a toss about what they think ?

D

Deleted member 22389

I went to a wedding at the weekend at which there were French, German and Austrian nationals. Not one of them was laughing at us. They had a great deal of sympathy for us - indeed they empathised with the UK's views on the fact the EU needed top to bottom reform. Some of the French nationals wanted a Frexit vote. All agreed that the UK leaving might just give the EU the boot up the backside it needs ..... but only might. So no, Europe is not laughing at us - the fat cats in the EU parliament might be but who the hell gives a toss about what they think ?

There is a deep respect from Europeans, we have shown them there is a way. Poor sods in Southern Italy and Greece have got the worst of it, not that anyone from Remain would admit it.

Afraid it all started going wrong for Italy when they adopted the Euro. I remember visiting relatives just after it was introduced, everything became more expensive for them and they felt they had lost part of their indentity

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
How is that cost affordable? Did you use your fingers to work it out?

Here you go, educate yourself.

https://www.economist.com/media/pdf/QUALITY_OF_LIFE.pdf

I see, challenged and so you point me off to a source of information that obviously, to your febrile state of mind, is the single unquestionable fount of all knowledge and truth?

OK, I'll play your game. Assuming that firstly, 3 million is the number of houses that are required to be government built and that secondly, they will cost £300k (both of which assumptions, as surely you realise, are arrant nonsense), then their provision is down to choices and political will.

In the late 1800 and in the lead up to WWI, 5 million homes were built. Between the Wars nearly 3 million houses were constructed. During the 50's, 5 million more homes were completed. Since the Thatcher years of greed, I and the Self, the government has washed it's and local governments hands of direct support for social housing and made a woeful fist of either supporting or encouraging the private sector. What the government has done is chosen to build HS2, a vanity project that will cost well north of £60 Billion. Scrap that and your exaggerated 3 million luxury homes are easily paid for. And they've chosen to replace Trident at £205 Billion. And they've chosen to force the poorest fifth of the population to pay more of their income in tax than the richest. And excluding her land and that of her family and St. James Palace, Buckingham Palace, Windsor castle, Holyroodhouse, Hillsborough Palace, Sandringham, Balmoral and several Scottish hunting lodges, the Queen's commercial property empire was worth £12 Billion in 2014. And more and more bankers and financiers become fabulously wealthy. And the echelons of UK's fabulously wealthy grow wider and rapidly wealthier. And the gap between the fabulously wealthy in this country (along with their life expectancy) and the most neglected grows exponentially. I repeat, political will and choices.

My response has focused on economics as I realise that with your psychosis, empathy, compassion and care for the less well off is not even anathema, it simply just does not compute.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Due to the countries ive worked in, my FB feed is full of people of all political persuasions in various countries. The only people who were not laughing were both Brexit supporters. A nurse from Zimbabwe who lives in London, and a marketing bloke here in Prague.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It's encouraging to hear that, let's hope they are right.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Absolutely, those that post otherwise do not really have any European friends and those that said/say there are ashamed at the Leave vote are just a bunch of spoilt bigots .........................

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He'll still be drawing his €84K salary & expenses for the next two years, don't forget. He's a hypocrite.

No price increase for Nige's holiday's to France and the German outlaws, while the rest of us pay 15% more thanks to his attempt to crash the economy

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Whatever way you look at it Farage, Cameron and Boris have put this country and it's citizens (although some are in denial) in an awful position and then all three have committed the most cowardly act possible in this situation and all stood down and run away. How any of these people, especially Farage can command any kind of reverence is beyond belief.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Brexiters ran a whole campaign deriding experts but now champion business experts.
The argument was that the experts were biased, and saying what was in their own interests, rather than the interests of the country. That doesn't mean you wouldn't want a business expert running the country now the decision is behind us. One that backed Brexit, by the way.

I think we've done enough going into the unknown don't you?

Thankfully, this decision won't be left to a referendum.
So is May the known then? We know she's against Brexit, is that why you support her - because she doesn't think the country is in a good position to succeed now?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Absolutely, those that post otherwise do not really have any European friends and those that said/say there are ashamed at the Leave vote are just a bunch of spoilt bigots .........................

I've got old friends I've spoken to on the continent since the vote, their view was of surprise and sympathy, they weren't laughing at us, though initially they were shocked and a little bemused. One even hopes some form of deal can be yet struck. I still feel a sense of regret at the vote and only time will tell whether the vote was the right or wrong choice. I feel a great deal of shame at an election in The UK using a poster such as the one below though and I feel embarrassed that as a country there was no coherent contingency or preparation for Brexit by either side and that our political elite have crumbled to leave the power vacuum we now have and the divided country we now have and the fact that problems in this country have only come to light to the political elite, mainstream media and people unaffected by these problems through an election that was purely about European Union membership as per the ballot paper, but obviously about so much more.

16-dec-2016-Ukip-leader-Nigel-Farage.jpg

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The argument was that the experts were biased, and saying what was in their own interests, rather than the interests of the country. That doesn't mean you wouldn't want a business expert running the country now the decision is behind us. One that backed Brexit, by the way.

A business expert who only 3 years ago said Brexit would be 'a disaster for our economy' and would bring 'a decade of economic and political uncertainty'. Maybe she has been on 'a journey' as she says in the last 3 years, Tony Blair wrote a book entitled the same about his,maybe she just jumped on a bandwagon. Time will tell.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whatever way you look at it Farage, Cameron and Boris have put this country and it's citizens (although some are in denial) in an awful position and then all three have committed the most cowardly act possible in this situation and all stood down and run away.
When Boris said he was supporting the leave campaign, he was ridiculed by remainers as an opportunist who just did it to get the PM job. Now he's not standing for the PM job you criticise him for running away. :facepalm:

Everyone thought Cameron would have to step down if he lost, so he's done so, and you criticise him for that too.

And what do you expect Farage to do, stand for PM? He's not a Conservative or MP.

Sorry, were you just joking and I've been wooshed?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've got old friends I've spoken to on the continent since the vote, their view was of surprise and sympathy, they weren't laughing at us, though initially they were shocked and a little bemused. One even hopes some form of deal can be yet struck. I still feel a sense of regret at the vote and only time will tell whether the vote was the right or wrong choice. I feel a great deal of shame at an election in The UK using a poster such as the one below though and I feel embarrassed that as a country there was no coherent contingency or preparation for Brexit by either side and that our political elite have crumbled to leave the power vacuum we now have and the divided country we know have and the fact that problems in this country have only come to light to the political elite, mainstream media and people unaffected by these problems through an election that was purely about European Union membership as per the ballot paper, but obviously about so much more.

View attachment 76332

I feel the same way. We were in France, with friends, at the time of the vote & outcome. Our French friends were shocked and upset by the result. There wasn't any laughing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A business expert who only 3 years ago said Brexit would be 'a disaster for our economy' and would bring 'a decade of economic and political uncertainty'. Maybe she has been on 'a journey' as she says in the last 3 years
That's politicians for you. I don't know who would be the best (least bad) option, I just don't want to discount someone because they're not a career politician.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That's politicians for you. I don't know who would be the best (least bad) option, I just don't want to discount someone because they're not a career politician.

I take your point. To me it shouldn't matter if someone is pro-Brexit or not, they should be the best person for the job. I just think Theresa May with her proven negotiating skills, particularly in the extradition cases of Gary McKinnon and Abu Qatada in the face of a very complex process with so many potential repercussions if it went wrong is the best option now. We'll see.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm not agreeing with you there, sir.

The EU is a great idea. The British people love the free trade, the workers rights, they love the peace, co-operation and general stability it brings. A few power-hungry federalists have f*cked it up but it can all be brought back into line with a bit of common sense, starting with the likely removal of Juncker, sensible dialogue with Theresa May and the UK side and some proper consideration given to the immigration issue.

The Common Market was a very good idea and worked.
The European Union is an unsustainable model. Political unions do not stand the test of time. History proves it.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
When Boris said he was supporting the leave campaign, he was ridiculed by remainers as an opportunist who just did it to get the PM job. Now he's not standing for the PM job you criticise him for running away. :facepalm:

That's not quite the story though is it?

He was ridiculed as an opportunist when he sided with Leave in order to get the PM job although he believed in Remain and believed that we would vote for Remain. Now, to his surprise, Leave have won and he's not standing for the job as it's obvious his heart isn't in it and he hasn't the conviction or the wit to see the country through such difficult times.

Now his bluff has been called, the opportunistic hypocrite deserves both ridicule and criticism.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To me it shouldn't matter if someone is pro-Brexit or not, they should be the best person for the job. I just think Theresa May with her proven negotiating skills, particularly in the extradition cases of Gary McKinnon and Abu Qatada in the face of a very complex process with so many potential repercussions if it went wrong is the best option now.
I agree that having the leader with the best skills is most important. I'm not even against the idea of a 'remainer', as they might be less likely to concentrate on limiting immigration at the expense of the economy. But Leadsom doesn't strike me as someone who'd ignore the economy or be a pushover. Not that we get a choice anyway.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Whatever way you look at it Farage, Cameron and Boris have put this country and it's citizens (although some are in denial) in an awful position and then all three have committed the most cowardly act possible in this situation and all stood down and run away. How any of these people, especially Farage can command any kind of reverence is beyond belief.

I agree about Johnson and Farage but Cameron voted to remain and lost. How should he be expected to continue as PM in that case?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here