Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memorial at the Goldstone?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Apologies if this is fixtures/kanchelskis/ringtones; but getting Falmer has got me thinking.

I think now we’ve got Falmer confirmed we need some sort of permanent commemoration at the Goldstone to acknowledge what was there for nearly 100 years. It would also be nice to have something at the Withdean to acknowledge that it was our home for over 10 years.

Public art is much more in vogue now than it was a few years ago so - for instance – following the (perhaps unfortunate at the moment) e.g. of Steve Ovett at the Goldstone we could have a statue somewhere by the entrance maybe using (say) a depiction of Wardy in full flight skipping over a hapless defender with the ball at his feet, with some sort of suitable caption underneath.

If we wanted to be slightly more avant-garde – and a la Angel of the North scale – what about something a bit more daring? One of the most symbolic aspects of the Goldstone – even commemorated in the logo of NSC – was the Goldstone floodlights. Its also true (OK – I’m getting a bit fuelled by bottled Harveys here) that as more and more new stadiums are getting built the traditional 4 floodlights at each corner of the ground which characterised urban landscapes are disappearing. To some people that must seem like a good thing and they would rather they were kept only in railway marshalling yards or steel works – but to me they epitomise an era and an architecture that is going to disappear for ever. So why not commemorate the Goldstone with a sculpture which is shaped (and sized?) like one of our old floodlights?

Withdean would need to be a bit more low key but something which – say – depicted Bobby Z volleying the ball past the hapless Halifax keeper would be a fitting commemoration of our time at the stadium.

If things like this were done and unveiled around the date that Falmer opens I think it would be good closure on what’s gone before. I for one intend to visit the Goldstone site for the 1st time since the Doncaster Game on the day Falmer opens. I know The History Man has says he plans to do the same thing and walk via Withdean to Falmer.

When I eventually do turn the corner of Newtown Road into Goldstone Lane again I will probably feel a bit like Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes when he sees the Statue of Liberty buried in the sand; but with Falmer I’ll cope! And it would be nice to make sure there was some permanent reminder of this part of Brighton & Hove’s history – and the bolder the better in my view.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
As long as it's not made by the same people as Ted Bates.

50bates.452021.full.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
T'uther half, who has absolutely no interest in football, was amazed that there is no memorial on the Goldstone site when we were driving along the Ole Shoreham t'uther day. It is fricking disgraceful to put it mildly (no not my use of t'uther, the fact that there is no memorial).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There should be a plaque to mark the centre circle at the very least. Huddersfield have done that in the retail park that used to be Leeds Road stadium.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Do Do Do, Come On And Do The Conga For Falmer

Well everyone - at some specially agreed time shall we have a massive Withdean Conga to celebrate this great news that Falmer will happen at the Millwall game.

(loads of room on the track in the South Stand) ???

Well......................

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
FFS I've screwed up again

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If you think about the general social history of Brighton & Hove, the dark days at the Goldstone are a massive part of that. At the time the nation's eyes (well sporting ones anyway) were on events at our ground week-in, week-out. People stood up to be counted with walkouts, boycotts (including fans from places like Mansfield who came hundreds of miles to watch their team but refused to go into the ground in support of what we were doing), the York pitch invasion, not to mention Bellotti being run out of the ground, or Attilla's poetic battle cries round the back of the West Stand after the Hereford walkout, Harty rallying the troops on a megaphone for the Mansfield break-in. For those reasons alone, apart from the 100 years of history, the fight to save the club and ground should be commemorated in some form and surely the council need to be petitioned to sort it out?! A plaque in the Burger King toilets at the very least! and if not that then maybe the Angus Burger could be renamed the Goldstone Burger and the kids meal could come in a box made to look like the Goldstone.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They could bulldoze Burger King and replace it with a giant seagull statue

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
There should be a plaque to mark the centre circle at the very least. Huddersfield have done that in the retail park that used to be Leeds Road stadium.

I thought there was a plaque in the ground...? Not that many of us would have seen it if the amount of stay-aways from the Goldstone site is true!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The club could do a raffle, all the STH, Away members, anyone who wants to, all go into a tombolla, draw out say 2 lucky fans, and make a statue of them, and Stuart Storer together, arms raised,

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I thought there was a plaque in the ground...? Not that many of us would have seen it if the amount of stay-aways from the Goldstone site is true!

No, it is in the car park exactly where the centre circle was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here