[Albion] Meet Peter Ward this Saturday

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stumpy Tim

Seriously? His star is waning? Oh do F off.

Name someone else who’s scored 36 goals in a season for us. Name some other player who still has a song sung about them several times a season 40 years after they last played for us.

A legend then. A legend now.

Does he cadge a beer or 6? Yes. So would I if I were him.
Yes, his star is waning. Maybe not to you, but to the majority of the fan base. It's inevitable and frankly bizarre to even deny it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This popped up in a WhatsApp group the other day (from a Derby fan)

3cfafb7a-6349-4737-97b0-08fc1dacaf1a.jpeg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes, his star is waning. Maybe not to you, but to the majority of the fan base. It's inevitable and frankly bizarre to even deny it.
If his star is waning, then it hasn’t waned as much as Knockaert’s, Zamora’s, Murray’s, Vicente’s, or indeed any ex-player’s.

Evidence? I already provided it. We still sing Wardy’s song several times a season. I can’t think of a single other ex-player where we currently do that. Surely that is the very definition of continuing legend status?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Not waning for me, it’s his fault I am an Albion fan! I had zero interest in Albion until I’d been dragged along to a few Albion games when I arrived in Brighton, I continued to go because he was so exciting to watch and my life sentence was rubber stamped!

Stumpy Tim

If his star is waning, then it hasn’t waned as much as Knockaert’s, Zamora’s, Murray’s, Vicente’s, or indeed any ex-player’s.

Evidence? I already provided it. We still sing Wardy’s song several times a season. I can’t think of a single other ex-player where we currently do that. Surely that is the very definition of continuing legend status?
Yes, that's the point. All former players will wane in popularity. It's the reality of aging.

And by the way, I still hear songs about Knockaert and Murray.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Yes, that's the point. All former players will wane in popularity. It's the reality of aging.

This.

I heard songs about Gary Hart, Michel Kuipers and Kerry Mayo at the various European away games.

Yes Wardy scored the most number of goals in a single season for us, which is clearly a great achievement but he doesn't hold the record for most goals, most top flight goals, best goals per game ratio or plenty of other records.

I totally get that he's held in high esteem by supporters of certain generations, but when you objectively look at it, he's not well out in front of others as being a club legend IMO anyway.

Jimmy Grimble

I think the waning in popularity is probably more related to these meet him events rather than his general status as Albion legend isn’t it?

Anyone who is Sussex-based and grew up with Ward as a hero has probably already met him given the amount of appearances he’s made at REMF nights and other events like this.

Christ, I’m no where near old enough to have seen him play, and even I’ve unwittingly stumbled into him in the Brewery Tap and bought him a pint!

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I expect most of the kids on here won't know who he is sadly
Funny you should say that . . . I was at the local park with the dogs the other day and 2 dads were organising a match with a load of kids, mostly wearing stripes . . . I mentioned to one of the Dads PW used to live over there and he had a quick kick about many years ago . . . . None of the kids had heard of him, The Dad had, he said he had as his dad used to go on about him . . . Made me feel realllllllly old!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Will he also be cadging beers off the supporters?
Only if they’re lucky.
Is Geoff Hurst’s star waning at West Ham? Or Mike Summerbee’s at Man City? Ian Callaghan’s at Liverpool?

I would argue that the lore surrounding these players and Peter Ward grows with each year since their last game for their respective clubs.

It is frankly bizarre to ignore the fact the every team with any history reveres players who few of their active support base have ever watched play in the flesh.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I hear songs about Knockaert and Murray when they are physically present in the stadium. Maybe you hear them other times too?

Of course all former players will wane in popularity over time. My point is simply that Ward’s popularity has waned markedly less than any other over a period of time. Knock played for us 5 years ago, Murray even more recently. Ward last played for us over 40 years ago. Even if we sang their songs equally frequently (and I would assert we do not), surely it is reasonable to say that Ward’s star has waned less than those?

I sense we’re going to have to agree to disagree. 🤷‍♂️

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
Will not forget that goal he scored in front of the North after, say 5 mins vs Derby C. During that fantastic league Cup run early 70s.
Forget exact year. But had already knocked out Ipswich and WBA in previous rounds if I remember. All top sides then. Lost to Derby in the replay at the baseball ground. Charlie George was playing for them then
37 seconds passed Graham Moseley

Stumpy Tim

I hear songs about Knockaert and Murray when they are physically present in the stadium. Maybe you hear them other times too?

Of course all former players will wane in popularity over time. My point is simply that Ward’s popularity has waned markedly less than any other over a period of time. Knock played for us 5 years ago, Murray even more recently. Ward last played for us over 40 years ago. Even if we sang their songs equally frequently (and I would assert we do not), surely it is reasonable to say that Ward’s star has waned less than those?

I sense we’re going to have to agree to disagree. 🤷‍♂️
Let's have a SCRAP instead

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

"My eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord......" I consider your case rested. I remember "He shot, he scored...' and also the odd 'He shot, he missed, he must be f***ing pissed......" His star is certainly not 'waning', but the numbers of people who sung his name while he danced round defences, are. He us undoubtably an Albion legend, and the club seem to think so too.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Shame there wasn't a bit more notice I would have gone . I think some of the comments on here are poor and unnecessary , possibly his light is not as bright as it was but PW played for us 40+ years ago and is still sung about especially at away games. No one else from our past list of players comes any where near in terms of fan 'worship' (hate that word).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports