Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcleish on the brink of being sacked.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Best thing to happen to Villa in the last year is McLeish leaving. And yes it is the perfect vehicle for Gus but I really don't think he will be on Lerner's radar. Having made such a massive mistake last time round and still carrying a lot of blame from many Villa fans for losing O'Neill he needs to pick a genuine winner - someone the fans will unite behind and take the heat off the owner. Gus - whilst I think he could do a good job there -would represent much too big a risk when viewed from the owners' perspective. Benitez would be my favourite purely because of his track record and the fact that he is held in genuine respect by most people in the game - just like Houllier who was Lerner's choice for the same reasons and also because he could bring youngsters through from academy level. Villa have no money - O'Neill spoofed enormous amounts on high value long term player contracts and took Villa to the brink of financial disaster before walking away when they wouldn't spend more. That was McLeish's legacy and the reason they simply can't afford the sort of names that will be thrown into the hat. Benitez might still be too big for them but he is the only star name that I think they can potentially afford. I really don't think they will go down the road of paying compensation to another club again if they can avoid it.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
So if Hughton walks out on Brum, which given the financial situation he is likely to do if he gets a half decent offer, then all 4 midlands clubs (Brum, Villa, WBA & Wolves) will be looking for new managers??

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
So if Hughton walks out on Brum, which given the financial situation he is likely to do if he gets a half decent offer, then all 4 midlands clubs (Brum, Villa, WBA & Wolves) will be looking for new managers??

Wolves have already appointed a manager.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Not Wolves. They appointed some Norwegian bloke no one has heard of last week - Stale Solbakken

Stale Solbakken Appointed Wolves Boss

RedSteve65

Apr 3, 2011
Perfect for Benitez.

Lots of rumours in Liverpool that Benitez may be going back to Liverpool to replace Dalglish. Mentioned on sportsday live news on BBC web-site. If there is any chance of that Benitez will turn down Villa.

If GP goes (and I hope he doesn't) we will be an attractive proposition for a big(ish) name. New ground, supportive Chairman, new training facilities being built and a nice City to live in too. Curbishley, in my opinion, is not the answer.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

If Hughton walks out of Birmingham it is odds on that he will be walking in to WBA :)

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

but GP would n't want to go to any of these basket cases

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Lots of rumours in Liverpool that Benitez may be going back to Liverpool to replace Dalglish. Mentioned on sportsday live news on BBC web-site. If there is any chance of that Benitez will turn down Villa.

If GP goes (and I hope he doesn't) we will be an attractive proposition for a big(ish) name. New ground, supportive Chairman, new training facilities being built and a nice City to live in too. Curbishley, in my opinion, is not the answer.

I THINK GP MAY WELLHAVE COME TO THAT CONCLUSION ALREADY - sorry about the caps - pressed the lock button instead of the shift

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Really not too concerned about Villa. Can't see they'd take a risk on an unproven manager after the year they've had. They are going to have to slash their wages hugely and it'll be a firefight to stay up again next year. Not a job for someone who has just a L1 trophy to his name at the moment.

Wouldn't be surprised if they appointed Curbs themselves.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
GP to Villa, we'll get Curbs.
That's what I heard Sat night.

I hope not-Curbs has been away from day to day football for too long.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

SeagullBT

Sep 7, 2011
All the talk around Villa is Lambert; Villa fans singing 'Paul Lambert's Claret & Blue Army' yesterday, while Lambert has done nothing to kill the speculation. But, Lerner's last two appointments have been totally out of left field so who knows what he is thinking.

The talk last summer was Rafa was in talks with Villa; didn't go anywhere due to the budget so I don't see Benitez at all at Villa.

It's a good job for someone. There is a lot of talent - Bent, Ireland, Given, Gabby, N'Zogbia and some decent youngsters - Gardner, Clarke, Weimann. There has been wage cut-backs but I think Villa are getting on top of that now (HaHa bye bye Heskey - need to get rid of turds like Dunne, Hutton & Warnock) and there will be a decent budget available. Things are looking up for my other love next season.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Suprised no one has mentioned Capello who has said he fancies one last crack at a club in the Premiership. I would have thought Villa was just up his street. Don't forget he was a highly succesful Club Manager in Italy before the England job.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I reckon they'll get in Bob Bradley at Villa....Lerner wanted him last time but he took the Egypt national job just as Houllier left.

SeagullBT

Sep 7, 2011
Suprised no one has mentioned Capello who has said he fancies one last crack at a club in the Premiership. I would have thought Villa was just up his street. Don't forget he was a highly succesful Club Manager in Italy before the England job.

While I think Villa still offer a decent budget to finish 6th-8th, Capello will want massive £££ to spend. I think Capello will be heading to Chelsea

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mcleish sacked, Owen Coyle to Villa, Fat Sam back to Bolton after losing to Blackpool next week, Curbs back to West Ham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here