Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren.....next to go ?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I for one will be glad when Rowett has got a new job as I'm sick of hearing his name. He'll more than likely end up being the next in a list of managers that go on to suck after everyone bigging them up. Adkins, Pulis, Pearson, Sherwood, all relentlessly banged on about by the football forum experts after a limited success only for them to drift back into mediocrity.

Rowett may go on to be great, but he's had only 2 jobs in management so far, and in both of them he has a lower win ratio than Schteve has in his current spell with Derby.

In his time with Burton he finished 4th and 6th in League 2 with a win ratio of 44.4%. His successor Jimi Floyd Hasselbaink got them promoted to League 1 by winning the title and left them top of League 1 the following season with a win ratio of 61.1%.

I personally think Rowett has a lot more managing to do before he's worthy of the kudos he's being given.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Derby need a big clear out

Wise words. Their performance on Friday was awful. Something is so wrong there that they weren't starting Will Hughes. He should be the cornerstone of their side, in the same way Stephens has been for us over the last few years.

Clough built the foundation of their recent success in this division encouraging good ball-players over a long period. McLaren came in and gave them the extra impetus and a cutting edge, but since McLaren jumped ship for Newcastle the approach has been completely the opposite of the words coming from the board. Their chairman says that they are developing a way of playing and can wait for promotion, but chucks out Clement and brings in Pearson, an about-face in styles. Random signings like Nick Blackman, who was scoring goals for the first time in his career with Reading, not because he was suddenly brilliant, but because he fitted their style that season suggested panic rather than patience.

Friday's performance obviously wasn't a one off. I spoke to some of their fans before the game and they were fearing the worst. I couldn't believe how bad they were, a team full of players who have done well in this division both at Derby and at other clubs had no ambition, no urgency; they never looked like creating anything. Also, Hughes's petulant niggling aside, there was nobody in their team seemingly capable of the kind of drive and aggression that Liam Rosenior showed when he took the ball through half of their team just by force of will.

They obviously need less stars and more leaders, but mostly, if Morris has decided it can't be McLaren, he needs to be true to his word, find a(nother) decent championship manager, let him get as much money as he can for whoever he thinks doesn't have the right attitude, build a side and stick with him for a couple of seasons without interfering.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Alternatively, they could try signing all new players on half season contracts, so that when the new manager comes in every June and December, he can sack the lot and start again?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Feel like Rowett has his pick of 2 good jobs.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Marvellous. I wonder if his comments after the game were a factor. He kept saying things like 'we've stood still while everyone else has improved' and 'Brighton showed how far we've got to go' etc. I should think Mel Morris was a bit dischuffed hearing that having spent £40 odd million on players since the losing playoff final.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think Mel has to take a lot of blame for the problems up there. How is anyone supposed to get the team playing 'the Derby Way', whatever the blue hell that is, if he keeps changing the manager? 5 managers in 15 months. FIVE.

He just seems a bit trigger happy and slightly intrusive. There's that story about him going into the dressing room to chide the players and then coming out in the press to say Schteve is in danger of losing his job.

Odd. Can't help but think as well that all of this, everything that's happened to them over the last couple of years, is a hangover from the play-off loss. They should've gone up that year in the autos and then to lose the play-offs like they did after bossing that game completely. It's smashed them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think Mel has to take a lot of blame for the problems up there. How is anyone supposed to get the team playing 'the Derby Way', whatever the blue hell that is, if he keeps changing the manager? 5 managers in 15 months. FIVE.

He just seems a bit trigger happy and slightly intrusive. There's that story about him going into the dressing room to chide the players and then coming out in the press to say Schteve is in danger of losing his job.

Odd. Can't help but think as well that all of this, everything that's happened to them over the last couple of years, is a hangover from the play-off loss. They should've gone up that year in the autos and then to lose the play-offs like they did after bossing that game completely. It's smashed them.
I think this sums up Mr Candy Crush. The most expensive option is the "best value".

40034c9b263d8a9eedb6b48b6287caab.jpg

Perhaps he needs to get a few friends on Facebook to send him some players.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I found our game unbelievable. I thought it was going to be a tough one, but how can you have those front 4 players and not have a single shot on target. Yes, we were good, especially our defence, but not one shot ?? SM was supposed to be a good coach - that was his value to Fergie, but I seriously doubt that now. I wouldn't be happy if I was a DC fan and be worried about the next choice too.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In 2014/15 in the Champ , a manager of a club with a wealthy owner and high expectations hired a new manager. Despite a good start , he went on a run of just 1 win in 11 leaving them in 20th place in the league.

Thank god Millwall and Wigan couldn't win for toffee that season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's a poll going on the Derby forum about Mel Morris and his ownership. Saw this:

I also think that whilst it looks like a mess he is doing what he thinks is best for the club, as is his prerogative. He owns it and can do what he likes, we are all just along for the ride.

Wow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://newsthump.com/2017/03/13/steve-mcclaren-applies-for-vacant-derby-county-managers-position/

Steve McClaren has applied for the vacant Derby County position, confident that the third time is a charm.

Just hours after being sacked by Derby County for the second time, McClaren asked for an interview at Derby County where he plans to explain how his recent experience will be invaluable in helping Derby achieve their dream of Premier League football.

“They say you should never go back, but then they said that last time,” McClaren told reporters.

“You have to remember, I’m a much more experienced manager now than the one they sacked yesterday – I’m older and wiser, and that’s what Derby needs at this important time.

“I’m not the naive fresh-faced 55-year-old they hired way back in October 2016. I’m now a much more haggard looking 55-year-old.”

Derby fans were not concerned about McClaren’s latest job application; until hearing the views of the board.

Derby chairman Mel Morris told us, “I thought he was joking, but the worrying thing is, I’m starting to think a man with his CV could be just what we need right now.”

:lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Radio Derby phone in tonight.

'' Go and get Hughton. We are a bigger club than Brighton:rant:''

The trouble with that dilemma is. - Hughton would need to want to be ''gotten''.

Why do football fans seem to think money can buy anything and anyone. Money is most certainly NOT what drives CH. The prospect of Managing in the PL is what drives him.

So bigger or not, I don't see anything on the table which would ''tickle his ears'' - Most certainly not a Chairman who wants to pick the team, drive the bus AND all the while run the club

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Has Rowett been confirmed yet? I notice the Next Derby Manager book has disappeared from Skybet and his name is missing from the Next Norwich Manager book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here