Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLaren: Newcastle 'can be one of Europe's top 10 clubs'

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
It's one part of the equation, for sure. Equally important, imo, is his knowledge of Newcastle and, especially, Ashley. In order for Newcastle to be in the top 10 in Europe they'd have to displace one of:

Barca
Real Madrid
Juve
Roma
PSG
Bayern Munich
Wolfsburg
PSV
Chelski
Man City

which of the above are Newcastle, under Ashley, going to be better than?

Man city! do me a favour, there's 3 teams in England never mind Europe that are bigger than City that you have left off your list.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Artistic license for sure, but Newcastle can be a big club and certainly one of the top 30 or 40 in Europe. Historically, they must compare similarly with Man City (until the last 5 season) and Chelsea (until the last 20).

They regularly draw 50,000 despite season after season of mediocrity. Basically an English version of Schalke 04, a similar sort of club - a club much bigger than the town it represents, traditionally a hotbed of support (often questioned), but usually shite with the odd season of flair thrown in.

But really, the point is that you can't really see McClaren making any sort of difference without an absolutely massive war chest. Hiring a fair-to-middling top division manager up there is like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What a plonker. Does he know anything about Europe?

Barcelona
Juventus
Real Madrid
Bayern Munich
Manchester United
Arsenal
Chelsea
Paris St Germain
Inter Milan
Atletico Madrid

...these were the first few that spun off the top of my head.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Man city! do me a favour, there's 3 teams in England never mind Europe that are bigger than City that you have left off your list.

I don't think he was saying they were the top 10, but just that there were 10 more successful than Newcastle by a country mile. I did the same and didn't pick City, Roma or Wolfsburg.

I also didn't add AC Milan, Ajax, Marseille, Benfica, Porto, Liverpool etc. Even these are more successful.

Hell, they are so far off the pace.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Artistic license for sure, but Newcastle can be a big club and certainly one of the top 30 or 40 in Europe. Historically, they must compare similarly with Man City (until the last 5 season) and Chelsea (until the last 20).

They regularly draw 50,000 despite season after season of mediocrity. Basically an English version of Schalke 04, a similar sort of club - a club much bigger than the town it represents, traditionally a hotbed of support (often questioned), but usually shite with the odd season of flair thrown in.

But really, the point is that you can't really see McClaren making any sort of difference without an absolutely massive war chest. Hiring a fair-to-middling top division manager up there is like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Your last point is bang on. I can't even see McClaren doing it with a large war chest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Barcelona
Juventus
Real Madrid
Bayern Munich
Manchester United
Arsenal
Chelsea
Paris St Germain
Inter Milan
Atletico Madrid

...these were the first few that spun off the top of my head.
Well if Newcastle want to replace a team on that list, the first thing they need to do is sack their shit manager.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It doesn't matter that historically they compare with how those two clubs were before they got billionaire owners. If Newcastle were bought by Qatar, then yes, they could be super successful, but that applies to pretty much any club. McTw@t was saying that due to their fanbase etc, they could be in the top 10 in Europe. No, no they can't.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It will be very interesting to see how Newcastle get on next season, Schteve will get them playing good football, I'm certain they'll score goals. It's just what happens at the back, can he organise a defence and can he cope when things go wrong? Can he change things?

I suspect they'll surprise a few people.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It doesn't matter that historically they compare with how those two clubs were before they got billionaire owners. If Newcastle were bought by Qatar, then yes, they could be super successful, but that applies to pretty much any club. McTw@t was saying that due to their fanbase etc, they could be in the top 10 in Europe. No, no they can't.
I don't think anybody (incuding SMc) these days is of the opinion that a large fan base alone is enough to catapult you into a major European force. The only time a provincial club has been bankrolled to the very very top in recent years was Blackburn Rovers, and that's because he was a fan and self made millionaire. These days, a rich arab wouldn't look to take over a club like that - they'd look at one with the infrastructure already in place including a fairly big and modern stadium, and the fan base guaranteed to fill it and guarantee a big television audience. They're in it for the glory and the exposure. Until they get bored obviously. Surely you can see that Newcastle would be a far more attractive proposition to an oligarch than say Stoke or West Brom?

And as I said before, top 10 in Europe is artistic license, but they could certainly be a major European club like Schalke, Roma, Lazio, Valencia or Atletico. That's just a fact. They do need to get the right man in and back him, but top players will go (and have gone in recent years) to Newcastle. But it's baby steps I guess - I would suppose his remit is to elevate that club to the sort of status that, say, Everton are at - just behind the teams on the fringes of the top 4 like Liverpool and Spurs. He's certainly not going to get second tier but very very good players like say Harry Kane or foreign equivalents to Newcastle by saying "Look at this stadium, it's usually full, sign for us please"

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Who said anything about "bigger"? My list comprises the top 2 teams last season from the PL, Bundesliga, Serie A & La Liga, as well as the champions of Holland and France. It seemed as good a definition of "top", which was the word McLaren used, as any other and, unlike "big", has the merit of being completely factual.

FWIW, I agree that there are at least 3 teams in England that are "bigger" than Citeh...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think anybody (incuding SMc) these days is of the opinion that a large fan base alone is enough to catapult you into a major European force.
Well he certainly wasn't suggesting that they could be one of the top 10 if they get rid of Mike Ashley was he.

These days, a rich arab wouldn't look to take over a club like that - they'd look at one with the infrastructure already in place including a fairly big and modern stadium, and the fan base guaranteed to fill it and guarantee a big television audience. They're in it for the glory and the exposure. Until they get bored obviously. Surely you can see that Newcastle would be a far more attractive proposition to an oligarch than say Stoke or West Brom?
I wasn't saying otherwise, but that's not what McTw@t was suggesting.

And as I said before, top 10 in Europe is artistic license
I disagree, it was just nonsense.
they could certainly be a major European club like Schalke, Roma, Lazio, Valencia or Atletico.
Under what circumstances? As things stand, or with a wealthier owner?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Go Schteve, go Schteve

Capture.JPG

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Will they be playing Middlesbro next season? Lucky to be the biggest club in the north-east.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Only NUFC could hire this failure...

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Watching tonight I thought they were plain awful, totally lacking in every facet of the game. They continue to buy lots of fairly unknown imports and they all looked unsure how to even control the ball tonight, sheer rubbish

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The first copy of "SHOOT" I bought back in the Sixties had Bobby Moncur on the front cover as Newcastle had won the old Fairs Cup. Can't see this being repeated in modern European competitions any time soon. They are a well-supported club with a great past but matching past achievements will be impossible as they won't have the resources to break into the elite circle of genuinely top clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here