Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGee to be the first Championship manager to be sacked this season..................

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
.........................is 8/1 with the bookmakers.

But Coppell is 20/1!!!!
Don't these people do their homework? Until we get Falmer we will never have the funds to make this club competitive at the top level. It's a miracle that we're in this division at all. Despite some people on this site saying that it means a lack of ambition, the facts are that Mcgee only has to keep us up for him to be a success this year, meaning 4th from bottom will be enough. Even if we DO go down it wouldn't be considered a huge shock, so his job would still be safe. Anyway, everyone knows that we don't sack our managers (well, hardly ever)............they just leave!!!
Coppell on the other hand is under a huge amount of pressure to take Reading forward. Madjeski has spent a lot of money trying to get them into the Premiership, and even though Coppell had a free half season last year, just trying to get to know the team and getting them to play his way, this year he will be expected to get results. If they are not top 6 at Christmas and another top manager becomes available his job could be seriously under threat. Might have a little wager myself.

The full list is:

9/2 Dave Jones (Wolves)
8/1 Mark McGee (Brighton)
10/1 Dennis Wise (Millwall)
10/1 George Burley (Derby)
12/1 Alan Pardew (West Ham)
12/1 Craig Brown (Preston)
12/1 Steve Cotterill (Burnley)
12/1 Ronnie Moore (Rotherham)
14/1 Ray Lewington (Watford)
14/1 Mick McCarthy (Sunderland)
16/1 Joe Royle (Ipswich)
16/1 Bobby Williamson (Plymouth)
16/1 Ian Holloway (QPR)
16/1 Kevin Blackwell (Leeds)
16/1 Lennie Lawrence (Cardiff)
20/1 Tony Pullis (Stoke)
20/1 Paul Jewell (Wigan)
20/1 Andy Hessenthaler (Gillingham)
20/1 Steve Coppell (Reading)
25/1 Neil Warnock (Sheff Utd)
25/1 Peter Reid (Coventry)
33/1 Micky Adams (Leicester)
33/1 Joe Kinnear (Nottm Forest)
66/1 Dario Gradi (Crewe)

25/1 No manager to be sacked this season

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Madjeski won't have to, if Reading aren't doing the business and Coppell is put under serious pressure he'll walk. He hasn't got the mental strength to cope in a crisis.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree, there is no way we'll sack McGhee unless he does a Hinsh, and no-one's that bad. It would cost a lot, and recent history has shown we have enough trouble hanging on to bosses without sacking and paying off an OK one.

You're looking in that list for managers of clubs with real ambition who will be very disappointed with an iffy start.

Joe Royle at Ipswich is a possibility, they expect to be going up but probably won't.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hessenthaler looks good value. Good start, but after the way they finished last season he's on borrowed time. One bad run and it's bye bye to the German.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My money wiuld go on Craig Brown, unless Preston improve drastically this season. They've had a decent start, but will they be able to keep it up for 46 matches? I thought that Preston would be involved in a relegation battle this year, costing Brown his job.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
perth seagull said:
My money wiuld go on Craig Brown, unless Preston improve drastically this season. They've had a decent start, but will they be able to keep it up for 46 matches? I thought that Preston would be involved in a relegation battle this year, costing Brown his job.

Good shout. Big club, big pressure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
munster monch said:
He hasn't got the mental strength to cope in a crisis.

That is not true, he coped with all sorts of shit at Palace and pulled off a miracle in his last stint there.

Having said that I agree he will walk from any other job when the pressure increases. He is Palace through and through.

Last edited:

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
munster monch said:
Madjeski won't have to, if Reading aren't doing the business and Coppell is put under serious pressure he'll walk. He hasn't got the mental strength to cope in a crisis.
Ok, I know that there are rumours that Dick Knight didn't try too hard to persuade Coppell to stay, but surely the fact that he left a club like ours, where in the position we're in there isn't really too much pressure, to go to Reading, where the expectations are high contradicts that statement. Why jump into the fire unless you know you can cope?

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
There are a few there whos jobs are at risk if they do not produce the goods this season.
JONES
PARDEW
McCARTHY
ROYALE
LAWRENCE
COPPELL
WARNOCK
REID
ADAMS
There clubs are expecting promotion or play offs, it's a hard one to call so I will give it a miss.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Cheeky Monkey said:
Preston, big club!?! They may have some history 50+ years ago but I would hardly call them a big club.

Been to Deepdale recently? Big ground, very passionate support, great tradition - in terms of expectation that all equals a big club in my book.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gullet said:
.........................is 8/1 with the bookmakers.

9/2 Dave Jones (Wolves)
8/1 Mark McGee (Brighton)
10/1 Dennis Wise (Millwall)
10/1 George Burley (Derby)
12/1 Alan Pardew (West Ham)
12/1 Craig Brown (Preston)
12/1 Steve Cotterill (Burnley)
12/1 Ronnie Moore (Rotherham)
14/1 Ray Lewington (Watford)
14/1 Mick McCarthy (Sunderland)
16/1 Joe Royle (Ipswich)
16/1 Bobby Williamson (Plymouth)
16/1 Ian Holloway (QPR)
16/1 Kevin Blackwell (Leeds)
16/1 Lennie Lawrence (Cardiff)
20/1 Tony Pullis (Stoke)
20/1 Paul Jewell (Wigan)
20/1 Andy Hessenthaler (Gillingham)
20/1 Steve Coppell (Reading)
25/1 Neil Warnock (Sheff Utd)
25/1 Peter Reid (Coventry)
33/1 Joe Kinnear (Nottm Forest)
66/1 Dario Gradi (Crewe)

25/1 No manager to be sacked this season

What price is Micky Adams?

I would go for Kevin Blackwell of Leeds or Alan Pardew West Ham.

Kevin Blackwell appears a Martin Hinshlewood situation a cheap option and will eventually be replaced by Gordon Strachan. Pardew must have success.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
even if we do get relegated(which we wont) mcghee has admitted this team is ine for the next few years. its a great young team and already, looking at yesterdays performance, there starting to link up well!!!

mcghee has to stay! he will lead us to glory!

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Re: Re: McGee to be the first Championship manager to be sacked this season..................

BensGrandad said:
What price is Micky Adams?

Cheers for pointing that out BG. How could I possibly have overlooked him? Have now put that right.:dunce:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Lennie Lawrence is a good price at 16/1. Let's not forget, Cardiff have a massively over-infalted opinion of themselves about being a 'big club' and 'sleeping giant' etc.

A poor start from them, and that lunatic excuse for a chairman may well wield his axe pretty quickly.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Seagull73 said:
Lennie Lawrence is a good price at 16/1. Let's not forget, Cardiff have a massively over-infalted opinion of themselves about being a 'big club' and 'sleeping giant' etc.

A poor start from them, and that lunatic excuse for a chairman may well wield his axe pretty quickly.

Spot on there.did you see the look on Big Sams face during there defeat on Friday night,priceless!!

Thats where my money is going.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Charlies Shinpad said:
Spot on there.did you see the look on Big Sams face during there defeat on Friday night,priceless!!

Thats where my money is going.
same here,thats a good price, i looked down the list and Lawrence stood out like a beacon.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
perth seagull said:

i agree

it wont be mcghee cant afford to and why would we he is a good manager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here