Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McDonalds at 40 have fun on their message board

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Because millions of people enjoy the food.
It's used as a quick and easy option for a lot of families, a treat for kids at weekends, the quickest way to get a hot drink for people on the way to meetings.

McDonalds gets a lot of stick from the public which I think mostly is underserved. The food is a lot healthier than that found on burger vans, kebab shops etc and the amount of options they now provide gives you a decent choice if you want healthy. They are so heavily scrutinised and audited it really has to be.
A McDonald's kitchen is also usually one of the most hygienic places you will find that prepares food. Training is thorough and all staff have health and safety rules drummed into them from day one. They employ nearly 100,000 staff, mostly young people while they are in education and also provide genuine routes of progression through to management for all staff.

I worked at a franchised store for 2 and half years while I studied, and although it was never a permanent career choice for me, it is definitely a job that I would recommend to others looking for work. That and even after getting a free meal every day for those 2 and half years I actually lost weight, felt healthier and didn't die a painful obese death like people would expect....I still love the food too! :p

Spot on, can't understand the middle class snobbery toward McDonalds, family of four can eat for around 12 quid, about the cost of one meal at trendy gourmet kitchen burger.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Hahaha lost for words.

Tbf most of the critics don't eat there that often and don't know much about the food they serve. If they were really that bad would they be so successful?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
McDonalds gets a lot of stick from the public which I think mostly is underserved.

Here is the McDonalds page for a Big Mac.

Go to a McDonalds, buy a Big Mac and take a photograph of it. See how well it stacks up.

The biggest coup McDonalds ever pulled off was to realise that people equate feeling full with being slightly queasy, and then finding a quick way to emulate that queasy feeling with their food.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't like the breakfasts I find them quite dry, anyone else get that? I have to admit to the odd Big Mac or my favourite Fillet O Fish in extreme hurry situations. There isn't one for miles around me now so haven't eaten there for about a year but when I was in Brighton I would have maybe one a month. Also I don't have kids so I am not routinely nagged to go there whenever in town. Given the choice and the time though I would probably never eat there.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford

Go to a McDonalds, buy a Big Mac and take a photograph of it. See how well it stacks up.

The biggest coup McDonalds ever pulled off was to realise that people equate feeling full with being slightly queasy, and then finding a quick way to emulate that queasy feeling with their food.

Haha well I suppose they don't all look like that! But they're cooked in 45 seconds at a rate of at least 3 at a time so I suppose quality control could lapse :p

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tbf most of the critics don't eat there that often and don't know much about the food they serve. If they were really that bad would they be so successful?

The only real criticism I would make is that the decor is dire. It makes the restaurants dark and uninviting. The London Road one looks closed even when it isn't.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's the sugar / corn syrup that gets kids craving it plus they direct market to kids from a very early age.

As an aside, I find it really depressing seeing old people eating in there.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Because millions of people enjoy the food.
It's used as a quick and easy option for a lot of families, a treat for kids at weekends, the quickest way to get a hot drink for people on the way to meetings.

McDonalds gets a lot of stick from the public which I think mostly is underserved. The food is a lot healthier than that found on burger vans, kebab shops etc and the amount of options they now provide gives you a decent choice if you want healthy. They are so heavily scrutinised and audited it really has to be.
A McDonald's kitchen is also usually one of the most hygienic places you will find that prepares food. Training is thorough and all staff have health and safety rules drummed into them from day one. They employ nearly 100,000 staff, mostly young people while they are in education and also provide genuine routes of progression through to management for all staff.

I worked at a franchised store for 2 and half years while I studied, and although it was never a permanent career choice for me, it is definitely a job that I would recommend to others looking for work. That and even after getting a free meal every day for those 2 and half years I actually lost weight, felt healthier and didn't die a painful obese death like people would expect....I still love the food too! :p

This. People blindly eat the food at football matches etc, but criticise McDonald's when they tell you the ingredients they use and on the whole they are good. If you don't like them, fine, but millions do.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
People eat there because they know exactly what they're going to get time after time. If I'm going to eat at a chain burger place i'd much rather go to urger King as imo they taste better and i like onion rings.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does anybody remember when they were first launched in this country with the promise that if after giving your order you hadnt received it within 1 minute you got your money back. They couldnt give that promise now. Was told by a Coca Cola fitter that if a fault was reported by McDs they had to attend within 2 hours irrespective of other jobs.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I clearly remember as a kid getting my first Macdonalds. I remember the bright colours and different little boxes all over the tray. Was well excited. Ate the food looked at the Ronald Macdonald school ruler and pencil and rifled through the colourful ketchup stained detritus thinking "is that it? What was all the fuss about?".

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Does anybody remember when they were first launched in this country with the promise that if after giving your order you hadnt received it within 1 minute you got your money back. They couldnt give that promise now. Was told by a Coca Cola fitter that if a fault was reported by McDs they had to attend within 2 hours irrespective of other jobs.

The staff are told they have to serve people within 2 and a half minutes according to some people I know who work there.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I can remember some top bod from Wimpy saying they were not bothered as they had been around for years and were established, oops.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

To be fair, this is standard practice for marketing items, at least in my experience.

Case in point, our landlord tried to sell our flat last year. We live in a basement flat and have an oppressively dark living room; it's in the middle of the flat and there are no windows. We have to have lights on in there all the time.

Long story short, the photos the estate agents took of that living room made it look like it was outside in the garden. Utter misrepresentation of the property which I think caused a lot of people to shy away from buying which in turn was great for us because we love the place. Long story long, it would seem.

Anyway, my point is: the photos are there to show you the ideal Big Mac, what a Big Mac can look like. Not necessarily what you're going to get.

Also, also, I've found they do actually start to approximate their photo when they're sold early on. Maybe the cook hasn't quite lost the will to live at 10am in the morning. Who knows?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Whatever one thinks of the food or it's marketing methods it's the perfect business model.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here