Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Id be happy to keep Maupay if we could have someone decent & more physical for him to play up top with. He's not a lone striker. We need a Murray type so they can feed off each other.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Lack of options. It's that simple.

His only real competition is Connolly - a player who shouldn't even be in the first team, let alone the first XI.

In October the problem was clear, so address it. If Wellbeck was not fit he should have been experimenting with emergency centre forwards from other members of the squad. Potter has left this late but do it now, or pick Wellbeck or Andone if fit. Doing nothing and keep on picking a failing Maupay every game is not an option.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
If Welbeck & Andone were fit, they'd be playing.

Not sure there is a lot more he could have done in October without the backing of the board to sign a striker.

There was still the option of freshening things up by converting another member of the squad to an emergency striker. Potter was late changing the keeper and beyond late in creating competition for places up front.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Based on what I have seen this season, Veltman looks like the best striker of the ball when shooting out of the current squad.

I keep coming back to him maybe not being the 15-goal a season striker we all really want, but of the roster we currently have, his 17 goals in 2 seasons make him the best. I simply don’t believe dropping him increases our chance of winning games

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I keep coming back to him maybe not being the 15-goal a season striker we all really want, but of the roster we currently have, his 17 goals in 2 seasons make him the best. I simply don’t believe dropping him increases our chance of winning games

Exactly this, yeah he’s miles off form but the two players to replace him have 2 goals each in their appearances and one missed an open goal the other missed a penalty! He literally is our only chance of regular goals until next season, let’s get behind the lad and give him some confidence from the fan base.

There is no doubt his finishing isn’t the best, I have no idea why he tried to place every single shot, but he still does a lot of work off the ball unlike the other two options. I’d give Welbeck and Maupay a run together still as they have a good understanding when they’ve played together, it’s whether Welbeck is fit enough for a long run of games.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Based on what I have seen this season, Veltman looks like the best striker of the ball when shooting out of the current squad.

This is how Chris Sutton was found. He was a centre back who turned forward. I think we have no option but to try something different. Doing nothing is not an option. Try him up front or someone else in the squad. Nothing to lose. Maupay doesn't score goals, so why not. Something different for what 65/70 minutes, then bring on Wellbeck or Connolly. Might just focus the mind as well. Should have happened months ago.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
It’s quite funny when you think about it that our strikers are this woeful and we are daring to criticise them. Goodness knows what it will be like when fans finally return to stadiums. Some players are getting off lightly at the minute and I certainly hope that the likes of Dunk are kicking them up the arse to train harder and to shoulder some blame rather than all of the bluster we hear about on social media.

GP needs to find a plan B, and quickly. I’d even consider Dunk as an emergency striker with Maupay as he certainly would make himself known.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
This is how Chris Sutton was found. He was a centre back who turned forward. I think we have no option but to try something different. Doing nothing is not an option. Try him up front or someone else in the squad. Nothing to lose. Maupay doesn't score goals, so why not. Something different for what 65/70 minutes, then bring on Wellbeck or Connolly. Might just focus the mind as well. Should have happened months ago.

What's Adam Virgo upto nowadays?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
It’s quite funny when you think about it that our strikers are this woeful and we are daring to criticise them. Goodness knows what it will be like when fans finally return to stadiums. Some players are getting off lightly at the minute and I certainly hope that the likes of Dunk are kicking them up the arse to train harder and to shoulder some blame rather than all of the bluster we hear about on social media.

GP needs to find a plan B, and quickly. I’d even consider Dunk as an emergency striker with Maupay as he certainly would make himself known.

i’d be more tempted sticking BDB up there. Ksakes how did this happen?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
i’d be more tempted sticking BDB up there. Ksakes how did this happen?

BDB misses sitters all the time! (The one at Anfield comes to mind).

If we were seriously looking for a Hail Mary makeshift striker I would also back Dunky. Tremendous in the air, brave and fully committed.

But I don’t agree with this talk, I just think Maupay needs a rest. Tau deserves a fair run. Release the [emoji881] GP.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BDB misses sitters all the time! (The one at Anfield comes to mind).

If we were seriously looking for a Hail Mary makeshift striker I would also back Dunky. Tremendous in the air, brave and fully committed.

But I don’t agree with this talk, I just think Maupay needs a rest. Tau deserves a fair run. Release the [emoji881] GP.

Perhaps, but BOY would we miss him at the back. He is the lynchpin of the entire team.

Maupay is, unfortunately, the best option in a very bare cupboard. That 1st half chance he scuffed wide yesterday was painfully indicative of a striker bereft of confidence, a striker who no longer trusts his own talent in those positions. He also totally overhit a couple of really basic, simple passes down the channels that went out for goal kicks, ending some promising buildups. Its utterly exasperating to watch.

And every time Connolly starts, my heart just sinks now. He's young, but he's bloody awful, and we don't really have the luxury of having a work-in-progress as one of our primary strikers. I don't think he'll ever make it at this level tbh, he just has not pushed on this last 18 months. He's regressed.

Happy days eh.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Perhaps, but BOY would we miss him at the back. He is the lynchpin of the entire team.

Maupay is, unfortunately, the best option in a very bare cupboard. That 1st half chance he scuffed wide yesterday was painfully indicative of a striker bereft of confidence, a striker who no longer trusts his own talent in those positions. He also totally overhit a couple of really basic, simple passes down the channels that went out for goal kicks, ending some promising buildups. Its utterly exasperating to watch.

And every time Connolly starts, my heart just sinks now. He's young, but he's bloody awful, and we don't really have the luxury of having a work-in-progress as one of our primary strikers. I don't think he'll ever make it at this level tbh, he just has not pushed on this last 18 months. He's regressed.

Happy days eh.

Connolly’s still learning. And whilst his finishing isn’t brilliant he’s always a pain in the butt for defenders. I know I’d rather play against a Maupay than a Connolly who never stops running. We need to cut the kid a little slack. He’s fine off the bench.

But Tau. I think he deserves a run in the team. I don’t know what’s happened there, but he looked very exciting in his debut at City, started at Newport on a shocking pitch, played pretty well at Leicester.. and not been seen since?

Shocked he was unused versus Palace and Brom when we needed a goal.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Happy days eh.

Even a young player could have a bad season without necessarily "regressing" in ability. Phil Foden looked extremely promising in 18/19, then got some heavy criticism last season and now he is great again. Its not always a linear road going from useless to bad to decent to ok to good and so on, sometimes its a bit of a rollercoaster. Look at Rashfords second season or the struggles Greenwood is having now, none of that stuff means a lot in the long run. But patience is difficult, apparently.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Connolly’s still learning. And whilst his finishing isn’t brilliant he’s always a pain in the butt for defenders. I know I’d rather play against a Maupay than a Connolly who never stops running. We need to cut the kid a little slack. He’s fine off the bench.

But Tau. I think he deserves a run in the team. I don’t know what’s happened there, but he looked very exciting in his debut at City, started at Newport on a shocking pitch, played pretty well at Leicester.. and not been seen since?

Shocked he was unused versus Palace and Brom when we needed a goal.

Not quite sure where to start with this. Maupay does a huge amount of work off the ball. Connolly keeps missing easy chances and generally does f all.

Tau looks out of his depth but that’s not surprising. He’s only just arrived here from a less than sparkling spell in the Belgian Farmers League. He might be the answer but we’ll need to blood him gently. Today he looks another Ali J, here to warm the bench and sell shirts in a third world country.

What we do have is four very similar strikers. Quick ish, short ish, full of running and unable to finish a packet of crisps. Perhaps our dear leader should swap one of them for a target man???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here