Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Still young and learning. May find it hard but has to learn in PL an assist is as good as a goal. Greed is a trait of so many strikers but when things are not running for him in a game he can take this to extreme. His shots at goal from tight angle yesterday were just stupid

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I imagine GP is already telling Maupay to try and relax a bit and look for the options around him if the shot is not obvious. But its tricky because in someways you want a striker to be a bit selfish.

This is what bothers me, it's not as if this has just started appearing in his game, it's been prevalent all season. So I very much hope that GP and team are working hard on him but bothersome why no real sign of improvement.

It's fine being a bit selfish if you've got the numbers to back it up, but 4 goals from open play and 1 assist all season with the amount of time he has had on the pitch and in and around the opponents box just isn't good enough for the man you're relying on to be your main man in the box (regardless of anything else he might contribute).

In saying that I don't think we have better options right now and good strikers (not even 20 a season) are notoriously hard to find for a club of our status, so hopefully he can be coached to improve his decision making.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
When out of possession Maupay buzzes about like an irritating wasp chasing to win the ball back and putting the opposition under pressure.
From my non-expert viewpoint Welbeck is far less active defensively than Maupay.
Once Maupay went off Villa had more time to settle into a transitional shape at the back.

Currently Maupay is the most useful striker we have, both in possession and out of possession.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It’s an interesting one this and a lot of fans seem to share a similar opinion. As I said before I like Maupay and he is important to our overall team effort with his unselfish play and the way he creates space and brings others into the game.

But, I feel it will be a bit like with Ryan when the stats will eventually catch up with him and he will soon, possibly in the summer, be replaced by a better striker who can take us to to next level. Yes some of his other teamwork stats are decent but ultimately, just 4 goals and 1 assist from open play in 25 appearances, from our main striker, for a side who create so many chances is not good enough.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He's shown himself up recently as being not very good. He's a good finisher when we create the chances for him but he's been pretty poor for a while now. Overhitting passes, unable to control the ball, not hitting shots early enough or clean enough. His goal record is very good, all things considered but he needs to get back to getting shots off. He won't score otherwise and he doesn't really bring much else to the team. I am not writing him off and his goal record speaks for itself but he's been letting the team down lately. The team needs him to score the goals to make 0-0 draws a 1-0 lead. The defence and goalkeeper was letting the team down earlier in the season by leaking soft goals but that's not the case now.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
He's bounced back and deserves some credit. He works hard and does his fair share of the dirty work. He needs to hot the net though - sooner the better.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think he's better in a two up front , also think we don't get the ball quickly enough to him and that is generally true of all our attacks with the person being blocked from shooting or keeper ready to defend a shot.

Can't fault his work rate or that he genuinely upsets the defenders and his general tackling back.

One thing that people seem to ignore is that a good goal scorer is often only good because the system he plays in suits him , no good buying a striker and then not playing to his strengths.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I think he's better in a two up front , also think we don't get the ball quickly enough to him and that is generally true of all our attacks with the person being blocked from shooting or keeper ready to defend a shot.

Can't fault his work rate or that he genuinely upsets the defenders and his general tackling back.

One thing that people seem to ignore is that a good goal scorer is often only good because the system he plays in suits him , no good buying a striker and then not playing to his strengths.

Why do Brentford and Peterborough seem successful at finding strikers
They play systems that suit the player s strength s
And I make you right NM needs a strike partner imho

Jimmy Grimble

I don’t think he’s a selfish as some are suggesting. There have been times this season when he’s passed instead of getting a shot a way, most notably against Palace when he was through on goal. It’s just his decision making appears to be muddled once he’s in the box. His decision making in terms of his hold-up and lay-off play is clear. Incredibly frustrating.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I love greedy players, head down, eye for goal. The problem is, he’s too greedy and just doesn’t seem to want to pass to anyone lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that again is fine. A good striker should be greedy. Salah has the all-round game and the goals to back up the fact that he is only in it for himself.

But if you're missing many more than you score, probably it's worth thinking about passing to the person in a better to position to preserve your place in the team

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I love greedy players, head down, eye for goal. The problem is, he’s too greedy and just doesn’t seem to want to pass to anyone lol.

Seems counter-intuitive to say, but he's almost too busy, working too hard for the team. The 'fox in the box' is about cunning, being devious, sneaking about. Maupay needs a bit more patience, have faith in the chances coming rather than forcing it. Welbeck came on and sniffed out that chance at the near post within minutes of being on. Maupay doesn't seem to be making those moves, he seems to be hanging back, getting in the way of midfielders arriving at times. I don't mind him being greedy, just be in the goal scoring positions.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Seems counter-intuitive to say, but he's almost too busy, working too hard for the team. The 'fox in the box' is about cunning, being devious, sneaking about. Maupay needs a bit more patience, have faith in the chances coming rather than forcing it. Welbeck came on and sniffed out that chance at the near post within minutes of being on. Maupay doesn't seem to be making those moves, he seems to be hanging back, getting in the way of midfielders arriving at times. I don't mind him being greedy, just be in the goal scoring positions.

Yeah, a few times you think, oh just pass it, he does all the hard work, sees 5 players in front of him, and just tries to keep shooting and ignoring the many Brighton players standing unmarked lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Have you ever seen a player look so disinterested when he misses? Most strikers look gutted when they miss chances, not our Neal, shrugs it off. I’ve genuinely seen him more angry when he misses a chance on Fifa, and I’m not joking.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Greedy or not greedy, I don’t care.

Maupay has questionable technique and coolness of head when faced with the goal, his weight of pass is awful in open play.

It's the coolness that's the problem.

Snatching at the chances he gets.

Time out of the side needed

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Greedy or not greedy, I don’t care.

Maupay has questionable technique and coolness of head when faced with the goal, his weight of pass is awful in open play.

Correct. Genuinely shocked he hasn’t been rested from the starting line up.

The guy could play another 10 games and not score. In fact it seems likely at this point. I know he works hard, but we can play other strikers who work hard I’m sure.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Correct. Genuinely shocked he hasn’t been rested from the starting line up.

The guy could play another 10 games and not score. In fact it seems likely at this point. I know he works hard, but we can play other strikers who work hard I’m sure.

If Maupay was laying on a load of assists, he’d deserve his place.

He doesn’t. His assist stats per season are awful.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
Has he ever been good for us? No touch or close control, couldn’t finish his dinner at the moment but for some reason is unstoppable, I mean his attempt on goal which went out for a throw sums up his performances perfectly. I mean when your top goal scorer isn’t stepping up to take a penalty surely questions should be asked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here