Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You seem convinced it would have changed the outcome of the game. That's fair enough, and I agree it was a routine save that should have been held or at the very least parried to relative safety.

Me personally, I struggle to see how this would have altered the trajectory of the game and prevented our loose touches, poor simple passes and rushed one-touch play. Particularly the latter which normally you might say 'ah, that was unlucky, I can see what we were trying to do there', but instead indicative of nobody actually wanting the ****ing ball and getting rid as soon as they could. We're playing with a massive amount of FEAR and enormous amount of respect for our opposition and I can't imagine being 1-0 down to a GK error is the sole cause of this.

Not the sole cause.
Jamie Murphy was on the edge of their box, with colleagues waiting for a delivery. He didn't have a clue what to do, so tried a little stab forward, which was easily blocked. Leicester immediately built an attack down the right and Suttner allowed Mahrez to cut in and have a free run into the box. FFS....everyone in football knows what Mahrez does but Suttner is sucked into it. The rest followed. A straight forward shot, not that powerful, a fumble, a goal.
Second goal.
A free kick routine, designed to find Maguire in space, beyond the far post. No one read it. Ryan stayed rooted to his line although the kick was directed too close to goal for Maguire to get on the end of it. Dunk was the only one to react. It should have been claimed by the keeper under no pressure. Mahrez took the corner, left footed. It was a natural in-swinger. It started about six yards out and ended up about 3 yards out. Our line of defenders failed to attack the ball and again, the keeper was stuck on his line. He started to come, found he was blocked and subsequently, had no chance.
All keepers, however big and strong, get blocked at times. The problem with Ryan is that he is not big and strong and doesn't exude command and presence. His shirt hangs loose as if it is too big for him and forwards and defenders alike will fancy bullying him. If he isn't going to come for anything, then we are going to have to rely on Dunk and Duffy clearing everything, with others supporting as well and that is going to place a huge burden on our defence.
The keeper is not the sole reason for the lack of any points thus far but he has to shoulder blame with Suttner, Stephens, Murphy, Propper, Gross and Murray, all who have failed to rise to the level required, thus far.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He needs backing, as do the rest of our new signings whose glaring errors are overlooked because they haven't (but easily could have) resulted in conceding.

I agree with this. He, and all the players, need backing.

The problem for Ryan is the nature of his position. All errors are magnified and become much more costly. There's no-one else to bail you out. A forward makes a mistake, there's the whole team behind him to sort it out. The midfield has the defence and the defence has each other or the goalkeeper. The goalkeeper has nobody. That means they have to play with a level of consistancy that outfield players rarely match. If they don't have that consistancy they're in trouble.

Ryan has made three mistakes of varying size in three games all of which have ended with a goal being conceded. All of them were preventable, two of them basic/routine. The issue for me isn't that he single handedly lost us games - he ,as you rightly say, hasn't. The issue is the regularity with which he is making errors on routine pieces of goalkeeping. If it continues he will lose us games. He needs to step up his game, cut out the basic errors and show what a decent goalkeeper he is.

I would hope that all the fans at the games get behind him and show him our support. Their concerns about him, however, are valid.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
He will be fine and prove the moaners wrong as will the other new signings .

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
While we should give him our backing, I fear the writing is on the wall, not least because all the other teams will have seen that he's a) prone to errors, and b) lacking in confidence (not to mention stature, although that's not his fault). It'll be interesting to see what Tony Pulis and West Brom have got in store for him. Actually, you know what's going happen, don't you? Helmets on chaps...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Utter bullshit. If anything lomger arms would have helped save it. A keeper 3 inches taller with the same length arms would have made no difference. A taller keeper with longer arms but shit slow reactions would have got nowhere near it. There are more aspects to goal keeping than just height. FFS people.

One of them is commanding your area. He doesn't, should have come for the cross.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
When you have a keeper who makes mistakes, it permeates through the whole team. Like most others, I think it's far too early to judge Ryan but whole team will play with less conviction if they have a keeper lacking confidence at the back.

Man U with Schmeichel and Van Der Sar, Chelsea with Cech and Courtois. Arsenal with Seaman, Forest with Shilton etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
While we should give him our backing, I fear the writing is on the wall, not least because all the other teams will have seen that he's a) prone to errors, and b) lacking in confidence (not to mention stature, although that's not his fault). It'll be interesting to see what Tony Pulis and West Brom have got in store for him. Actually, you know what's going happen, don't you? Helmets on chaps...

I think the West Brom game could be the making or breaking, at least temporarily, of him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Prediction: some posters on here will be calling Matty Ryan the best gk in the PL by the end of March 2018.

But most will be saying how they always believed in Maty and everyone else on here should be ashamed of themselves.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Prediction: some posters on here will be calling Matty Ryan the best gk in the PL by the end of March 2018.
Slightly exaggerated but far from impossible.

My hope is that Maty Ryan will become an Amex favourite based on agility, bravery and skills in his position.

I am sure that occasional mistakes (plus moments when being 6'4" and 14 stone would have been an advantage) will also preserve him as a welcome target for internet opinionistas.

Something for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't think his height is an issue. I think his inability to catch or hold onto a football, is more of a concern....Looking at footage from his previous clubs, it appears these two things have always been his Achilles heel. Bit of a problem for a goalkeeper, one would suggest.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Utter bullshit. If anything lomger arms would have helped save it. A keeper 3 inches taller with the same length arms would have made no difference. A taller keeper with longer arms but shit slow reactions would have got nowhere near it. There are more aspects to goal keeping than just height. FFS people.

Don't taller people normally have longer arms? :lol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When you have a keeper who makes mistakes, it permeates through the whole team. Like most others, I think it's far too early to judge Ryan but whole team will play with less conviction if they have a keeper lacking confidence at the back.

Man U with Schmeichel and Van Der Sar, Chelsea with Cech and Courtois. Arsenal with Seaman, Forest with Shilton etc.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, So what you're saying is the teams who manage to have world class goalkeepers are often the better teams

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
Read through the first 5 or so pages and couldn't go on. What an absolute embarrassment of a thread this is. People calling themselves supporters and slating a goalkeeper after 2 games.

The defending leading to the first goal was poor and gave Mahrez far too much time on the ball and on his favoured left foot, also from watching the highlights I thought that Ryan may have been unsighted behind the defenders so wouldn't have had perfect reactions to stop the ball without it deflecting off of him to Okazaki. Maybe because I played in goal, I have more sympathy with a goalkeeper. But I'm sure some expert will come on here and tell me I'n wrong.

BN1Matty

Aug 19, 2017
I belive his mistakes didnt cost us the game against City, but he still made a mistake that impacted our perception of him and the back 4s confidence. The mistake against Leicester put us behind the 8 ball from the first minute. I really really hope Ryan turns it around as I want him to do well. But we can't ignore his mistakes and the need to strengthen for PL survival

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here