Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matthew Upson joins Leicester City on one year contract

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
It's amazing how we managed to have one of the best defences in the league seeing how Upson is past it, Calderon and Bruno can't defend, Greer is shit and TK wasn't really all that. Thank **** we've still got Ward.

More to do with the system than the personal imo, if you're going to defend deep and not have to rely on your CB's pace (and lack of it) plus only commit the odd man to our attacks (look at our lack of goals) then it would be hard for any team to score many against us.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
have really enjoyed watching him this season and will miss him greatly.

BUT, it's not a problem, it's an opportunity! We do have Greer and Dunk, who are a decent pairing, but obviously you can't go through a season with just two central defenders.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Ultimatly replaceable. Seemed to get worse towards the end of the season. After slicing down Keogh in the box and having an absolute shocker at both Derby games I pleased he's gone.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I am not sure he was the answer for next season given his age and Championship demands. Perhaps he felt this and will be more comfortable as a squad member playing much less and passing on experience.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
At the end of the day he only had one year left in him and it frees up big wages for the new manager to get someone else in. Be more upset if we dont get Ward back as that will leave 3 big players from our back five to fill.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This
But get a grip. It's the 23rd MAY. 'Wheels are coming off', FFS.

If players like Matt were not possible to find, how did we sign him (and Bridge) in the first place?

Big loss, absolutely, but we'll replace him, just like we've replaced every single other player thats left the club, in the last 113 years.

Gutted personally, though. Absolutely my favourite ALbion player.

Yes, you're right of course. We've got time and no doubt a much healthier wage bill now. And yes, I'm aware we always replace players but in my mind it's about finding an adequate replacement - I'm sure that was obvious. Let's see who's available and try and get the best man we reasonable can in, but I'm not holding my breath that we'll find someone quite as good as Upson. A superbly talented player. It's a great shame to see so many good players leave the club in recent years.

We obviously need to invest in the playing side and the big question is do we go after targets now or do we wait until we have a new manager in?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
It's ashame he has gone, but its about how we react to this. Lets hope we get the right person in to replace him whether he is already at the club or not. At least its done now and not prolonged into pre-season training.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
The Leicester fans are huffing and puffing saying he's not good enough and past it... perhaps they should take a look at our defensive record since he came to us 18 months ago.

Perhaps we can sign Rio :thumbsup:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Lots of dodgy revisionism going on here.

He was FANTASTIC last year, and there's absolutely no reason to suspect that he would have been anything else next season either. It's a big loss.

By the same token though, there is LOADS of time, there are LOADS of options and it's not the end of the world.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Good luck to him. He's served us well and deserves one more decent payday and if gives us the opportunity to bring someone new in and give LD a decent run in the team. The glass is half full.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
annoyed.

This imo is another failing of the often poor club administration re contracts.

Did the club not consider him good enough if we made the prem? of course he was, as Leicester's faith has proved, and another one of our best players is allowed to run his contract down and walk, why oh why did they leave it too late and until his contract had run down?

rather than say oh well we move on (and lose our best defender) those responsible should answer why it was left to offer him a deal after his last deal ran out.... reeks of amateur hour, and somebody should be held to account so it never happens again

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
All the big earners are off!!

Am I missing something, who else has gone?

Upson wasn't under contract and he got a better offer (historically bigger club, more money, Premier League) what makes you think us having a manager would have made any difference - was he going to make up the shortfall in wages himself or something?

EDIT: I'm guessing you are referring to TK - I really don't think he's going to be a huge loss.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Sad to see him go. Hope it works out better for him there than it did at Stoke! Those on here saying 'he got worse towards the end of the season' don't forget he played with an ankle injury for quite a while.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Twitter always makes me laugh on days like this:

Still in shock at the way the club is being run at the moment it's a ******* joke #fuming #bhafc
and from the same bloke:
**** sake Upson has left gone to Leicester! Were ****ed next year we havnt got a team we need at least 6 players and a manager! #bhafc

It's not even June yet. Madness.

I hope Bloom doesn't read things like this. The way this club is being run is truly shocking indeed, recently spent 130million on state of the art stadium & academy. USELESS.

We do have some idiotic fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here