Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Ryan - SIGNED FOR CLUB RECORD TRANSFER FEE

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
FIVE years?

Long contracts, just like last time we were in the top flight...
He had 4 years left at Valencia, so we almost certainly had to match that at the very least.

Very happy about this one, based just on faith in the good reports I've read.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Pleased to get this one over the line. Young keeper and by Xmas 2019 maybe some of our youth will be ready to step in while Maty is away on International duty for a month.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Very pleased with this. i'm guessing that one big factor in him choosing us over any other clubs is that Brighton is the nearest PL side to Australia.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Good news this, glad to get the goalkeeper replacement sorted so quickly, sounds a good player too so probably no Graeme Smith :thumbsup:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just for seven weeks in the middle of the PL season.

Shoudn't represent a problem, as we'll have PL safety assured by then. :dunce:

Are you determined to see the negative side of everything? Asian Cup is not until January 2019 and a lot can happen in that time. We would be in our second season by then, if we stay up, and things will change.

You setup a whole thread about other clubs ambitions and then we break our transfer record on a new goalkeeper and you still moan. I bet if Huddersfield signed him he would be on your thread showing their ambition.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good news this, glad to get the goalkeeper replacement sorted so quickly, sounds a good player too so probably no Graeme Smith :thumbsup:
Oh gawd - please don't even mention him in the same sentence!

That's a lot of money for us for a GK - he'd better be bl00dy good; big boots to fill too. Not sure what message it sends to young Walton, though - 'You're in the youth set up.so don't expect to get anywhere near the first team until you're at least 26?' Or, 'Go and find yourself another club'.............................

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He had 4 years left at Valencia, so we almost certainly had to match that at the very least.

Very happy about this one, based just on faith in the good reports I've read.

Maybe it will help with their new stadium?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

That's a lot of money for us for a GK - he'd better be bl00dy good; big boots to fill too. Not sure what message it sends to young Walton, though - 'You're in the youth set up.so don't expect to get anywhere near the first team until you're at least 26?' Or, 'Go and find yourself another club'.............................

Walton will be on loan again this year, and would fully expect that to be the case. He can after a successful season elsewhere come back and push for second spo, that would make sense and if the young lad uses his head he can see that's the sensible approach. I don't think this purchase says anything like go find yourself another club.

Very pleased welcome to Sussex on Sussex day.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Neither. We need three goalkeepers going forward: two of them have to be top-notch, pushing each other to the highest level they can attain.
How many goalies in the premier league at 21?
I have no doubt we'll want him to play Championship football (sorry Wigan, but no) for two years prior to competing for a Premier League place. Obviously a fair chance one of those seasons would be with us.
Come back in 2019 and let's see if we can get you in the 25-man squad.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Neither. We need three goalkeepers going forward: two of them have to be top-notch, pushing each other to the highest level they can attain.
How many goalies in the premier league at 21?
I have no doubt we'll want him to play Championship football (sorry Wigan, but no) for two years prior to competing for a Premier League place. Obviously a fair chance one of those seasons would be with us.
Come back in 2019 and let's see if we can get you in the 25-man squad.

Spot on, so many goalkeepers take this path so I'm surprised anyone would take the view that we're trying to get rid of Walton. He needs to be playing regular league football and I also hope a Championship club will offer him a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here