Matchday Street Parking in Moulsecoomb and Coldean

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As part of the ongoing dialogue between the Club and B&HCC officers whilst the stadium extension application is under consideration, the results of the street parking surveys undertaken by the Club have been published on the Council website:

In Coldean an additional 241 parked vehicles (+32%) were recorded, for North Moulsecoomb the figures were 290 (+58%). Both surveys were undertaken on Sat 4 February with the baseline on Sat 21 January.

Verbatum from the Club's submission:

"Remedial Measures
The Club intend to introduce a number of remedial measures that seek to address inappropriate supporter parking in both Moulsecoomb and Coldean. These are as follows:
- The Club is intending to run a publicity campaign advising spectators of the official match-day parking facilities that are currently available and of the need to be ‘good neighbours’ and avoid parking within local residential streets;
- For the 2011/12 season ticket vouchers for the use of Public transport were sold separately from the match ticket. This was because of the unfortunate rules relating to the collection of VAT which penalises the Club if it combines the travel voucher with the match ticket.

However if the travel voucher is combined with the match ticket it is a further incentive for supporters to use Public Transport and so for the 2012/13 season it is proposed to combine the travel voucher with the match ticket. This was the ticket pricing mechanism that formed part of the Withdean transport strategy. Each ticket sold incorporates free travel to and from the stadium on match days on both buses and trains used within a wide zone in Sussex;
- The club has submitted a new planning application to deliver a temporary planning permission for a relocation of spaces within the land area of the former Falmer High School. It is anticipated that 684 spaces would usually be provided within the parking area.;
- The Club is to amend the current car park pricing policy and substantially reduce the cost of parking within the official match-day car parks. This will further encourage those supporters that wish to drive to the stadium by car, but that currently park inappropriately within Moulsecoomb and Coldean, to use the official match-day car parks.
It is anticipated that the above measures are likely to have a substantial effect in addressing inappropriate supporter parking that may occur in both Moulsecoomb and Coldean.
As previously stated, a mechanism for addressing any inappropriate parking in Moulsecoomb is included within the s106 for the original stadium consent and this obligation remains. With regards to Coldean, some measures have already been implemented. Temporary signage is being placed in this area on a match day, and a TRO has been implemented to ease traffic flows restricted by parked vehicles.
Further Action
Whilst the on-street parking surveys on both a non-match day and match day suggest that some inappropriate spectator parking may be taking place within both Moulsecoomb and Coldean, our strong
view is that, given the measures that are to be introduced, it would be premature to consider consultation on the implementation of a permanent residents’ parking scheme within either of these
areas. Instead, we recommend that Moulsecoomb continue to be identified as a ‘monitored parking zone’ with the retention of the current advisory ‘residents parking only’ signs for use on match-days, and that a similar scheme be extended to cover Coldean as part of the current application. This would allow the
effects of the remedial measures outlined above to be fully assessed and, should inappropriate parking continue to be taking place, then consultation on the implantation of a permanent residents’ parking scheme can be pursued at that time.
We do, however, acknowledge that the highway authority’s view is that the applicant should be required to fund a DfT ‘light touch’ match-day residents’ parking scheme to be implemented, subject to public consultation, at the start of the 2012/13 season.We would reiterate our view that it would be prudent for spectator traffic to be monitored during the 2012/13 season following the implementation of the remedial measures, and request that the Council consider this. However, in the event that the Council continue to consider it necessary to consult on the implementation of a match-day residents’ parking scheme, we would request that the Council provide details of likely costs associated with a scheme for this specific nature."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
An interesting read - thanks.

Are there any statistics out there regards to the percentage of available capacity currently being used in both the near/expensive parking and the P&R sites? The fact that a pricing reduction is on the cards would seem to suggest there is available capacity that is not currently being utilised.

Are there any statistics out there regards to the percentage of available capacity currently being used in both the near/expensive parking and the P&R sites? The fact that a pricing reduction is on the cards would seem to suggest there is available capacity that is not currently being utilised.

Yes Bozza, I'll look it up and post it in a few mins when I've made my mid-morning tea.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne

Mill gap usually get's filled to capacity most games, I don't know about the other sites?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Mt Mrs was on a first aid course last week at the council offices and some of the people on there were Moulescomb residents and they are getting really pissed off with people filling up the roads on match days

seemly a few weeks ago, one family came back and some dick had parked just over their drive so they couldnt get down. They spoke to their neighbours and bumped the car out of the way and then wedged the guys car front and back with a lorry and a skip wagon. the bloke came back and was told that the drivers had gone out and he could have his car back when they got back..about 11:30 that night.

Ended up he sat on his horn for 10 minutes until one of the neighbours came out with a baseball bat and a very scary dog. Suffice it to say he shut up and a taxi arrived to take the rest of the family home whilst he sat and waited.

Suffice it to say, if you are going to park there, be very careful not to block a drive.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I only park in Moulescoomb when I have to. Tonight I'm not going to finish work until around 7 and I'm going to have to pelt it down there. I'm not sure how sympathetic the club would be to me but I wouldn't be able to make the match otherwise. I always walk or take public transport on Saturdays.

I don't really think there would be a problem if so many people didn't try to park AS CLOSE TO THE STADIUM AS POSSIBLE. Every match the area around Lucraft Road is absolute chaos, as people are trying to move their cars in-amongst the hordes coming down from the stadium. 2 minutes further walk away there's acres of space.

Suffice it to say, if you are going to park there, be very careful not to block a drive.

Well said, you deserve what you get if you park illegally or block anyone in/out.

Bennett's Field C/P: 70-100 spaces currently unoccupied (I think the capacity is around 650)
University of Sussex C/P: 900 spaces available, only 500 currently used
Falmer Academy (retained land): 111 spaces available but are currently unused
Mill Road P&R: Fully utilised
Mithras/Cockcroft P&R: Fully utilised
Brighton Racecourse: 700 spaces available, 284 (max) currently used

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
The extra spaces next season and the reduction in parking prices sound interesting. I normally get the train like most fans but on occassions ( 2 I think!) I have had to drive and park in Coldean, this was some time ago and whilst it was clear that there were additional cars parked in the side roads most of these cars were parked ok. I had the "pleasure" of parking in Bennetts Field for the Leicester game and it took far too long to clear, it also seemed poorly stewarded. This might have been a one off bad day but if they want more fans to park in the official car parks next season they will need to ensure that they are well organised.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Isn't that something to do with the fact that there aren't as many available for evening matches?
I noticed this was suddenly full for the Pompey match so something's happened there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bennett's Field C/P: 70-100 spaces currently unoccupied (I think the capacity is around 650)
Mill Road P&R: Fully utilised
Mithras/Cockcroft P&R: Fully utilised
Brighton Racecourse: 700 spaces available, 284 (max) currently used

The one in bold is the one that surprises me because, even at the hefty prices, I think there was an expectation that these would be like the proverbial gold dust and be snapped up. In fact, that's what I thought had happened.

Since this season started, I'm not aware of any marketing from the club to let people know that there are spaces still available here that could either be booked for the remainder of the season or, perhaps, booked match by match.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The one in bold is the one that surprises me because, even at the hefty prices, I think there was an expectation that these would be like the proverbial gold dust and be snapped up. In fact, that's what I thought had happened.

Since this season started, I'm not aware of any marketing from the club to let people know that there are spaces still available here that could either be booked for the remainder of the season or, perhaps, booked match by match.

a mate tried to get one and was told they had all gone. Is that figure of 500 ones that are available or ones that have been sold but not used?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As part of the ongoing dialogue between the Club and B&HCC officers whilst the stadium extension application is under consideration, the results of the street parking surveys undertaken by the Club have been published on the Council website:

In Coldean an additional 241 parked vehicles (+32%) were recorded, for North Moulsecoomb the figures were 290 (+58%). Both surveys were undertaken on Sat 4 February with the baseline on Sat 21 January.

I don't necessarily object to reviewing the current arrangements ( although I do believe that just as long as you park legally and thoughtfully I see no problem parking in residential areas ) BUT to use a single Saturday to bench mark and then to only survey for a single Saturday isn't that accurate. Smacks of those stupid shampoo ads that claim 85% of women think the shampoo makes their hair shiny but in the small print they only asked a total of 7 women !!!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for that. And dare I say it, that seems to be a sensible response to the issue.

The club recognise that it is their own failure to provide appropriate parking space, and at sensible cost, that is affecting the two areas mentioned, and everyone want to see if an improvement in that regard will help before stopping fans parking there.

The cost currently is driving fans to Coldean etc, £15 or whatever it is is absurd, and this 'It's only £4 each' is irrelevant if you are not four people.

So presumably, the ongoing blue signs continue to have little/no weight until such time as a permanent residents parking order is granted?

Me too. We have a permit for UoS parking and I just don't believe that there are 400 available spaces in C/P1, which is where we normally end up because 2-5 are full by an hour before kick-off.
Verbatum from the Transport Assessment:
"University of Sussex Car Park
8.8.8 900 spaces are currently available at the University of Sussex for a weekday match,
however, only around 500 spaces are currently being used on a match-day.
8.8.9 The University of Sussex car park can, therefore, accommodate a further 400 spaces on
a weekday match, which based on the average occupancy observed at the car park of
3.1 supporters per vehicle, equates to an additional 1,240 supporters"

C/P1 is also used for stadium staff parking but this doesn't figure anywhere in the application (well, I haven't found anything yet).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Me too. We have a permit for UoS parking and I just don't believe that there are 400 available spaces in C/P1, which is where we normally end up because 2-5 are full by an hour before kick-off.
Verbatum from the Transport Assessment:
"University of Sussex Car Park
8.8.8 900 spaces are currently available at the University of Sussex for a weekday match,
however, only around 500 spaces are currently being used on a match-day.
8.8.9 The University of Sussex car park can, therefore, accommodate a further 400 spaces on
a weekday match, which based on the average occupancy observed at the car park of
3.1 supporters per vehicle, equates to an additional 1,240 supporters"

C/P1 is also used for stadium staff parking but this doesn't figure anywhere in the application (well, I haven't found anything yet).

Ah, is the weekday bit key there, what with lower attendances etc. Is it (more) full on Saturdays perhaps?

Ah, is the weekday bit key there, what with lower attendances etc. Is it (more) full on Saturdays perhaps?

The transport use surveys were undertaken at the Blackpool (Sat), Leeds and West Ham games; I guess the Club and/or its Consultants are choosing to only report the data from the two evening games (unless it's a typo). I could be a mega saddo and look through the raw data - if so, I'll be the one asleep in WSUD tonight.
Btw, for the Blackpool game (att.19,494), about 45% of supporters travelled by train; for the other two (att.20,646 & 20,686) the percentage was around 30%.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Btw, for the Blackpool game (att.19,494), about 45% of supporters travelled by train; for the other two (att.20,646 & 20,686) the percentage was around 30%.

That could well be the impact of poor experience using trains for evening games (the rush after Gillingham and Sunderland meant a shift of c2k from train to other means

I don't necessarily object to reviewing the current arrangements ( although I do believe that just as long as you park legally and thoughtfully I see no problem parking in residential areas ) BUT to use a single Saturday to bench mark and then to only survey for a single Saturday isn't that accurate. Smacks of those stupid shampoo ads that claim 85% of women think the shampoo makes their hair shiny but in the small print they only asked a total of 7 women !!!!

This is totally down to the Club. They have an obligation under the stadium planning consent to monitor in Moulsecoomb and the Coldean issue (whether it is a real one or not) has been evident since last autumn. They've had ample time to generate some more robust data but have clearly chosen the reactive approach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports