Match Tickets 2015/16 - To Be Dynamically Priced

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
But if we have a completely shit season next year, with horrible results and the gates plummeting, will there be season ticket refunds coming through during that season to reflect that non Sth can buy seats at £9?

I think what he was saying is that if the match day price is £10 then the ST price is £9.
I can't see it being anywhere near that cheap either.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Derby "demand pricing" system doesn't allow for prices to drop below what STH's have paid.
I'd have thought that as well, but that raises two points. Firstly let's assume that the ST cost is evenly spread throughout the season and works out at say £20 a game. If that were to be the base price for one-off tickets it still might be too high to attract casual fans. Speaking as a casual fan myself there is no way I'm going to pay £20 to watch Rotherham on a Tuesday night in the middle of winter when we're in the bottom half of the table.

That brings us onto mikeyjh's point where the ST pricing is NOT in fact an even pro-rata split, instead that too is done variably. It does admittedly open a whole can of worms, but the club could say "Yeah, that game against QPR on a Saturday in September was much higher value than the forthcoming one against Rotherham on Tuesday night in March". This would allow them to sell the individual tickets at a price below the 'even split' ST rate.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
... and further to my earlier answer I've just thought of a great money-spinner! If we DO have a good season then the club does the exact opposite of what you've suggested: They write to all the STHs and demand more money as the football is so much better than you thought it was going to be!

No, no, not all STHs, only the moaning minnies! Of course, they'll have to register their negativity pre-season. If it's a success it could be extended to include those with a purchasing history. We could extend the membership categories; Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze and a new Sludge Brown!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Anyone moaning, whinging and bellyaching over the new ticket announcements needs their heads seeing to.

- ST prices FROZEN. I'm sure no one was expecting them to go down? Even if we have deflation nationally greedy players and agents don't seem to notice that.
- Travel subsidy EXTENDED. Effectively a reduction if you live in Eastbourne or Worthing.
- 18/21s category introduced. Something we've been crying out for here and on other sites and Albion media. Will help atmosphere.
- Dynamic pricing - entirely sensible as far as I can see it.

I've been a big critic of the club this season. I've honestly felt we've been fleeced for more and more money to watch lower and lower quality. The above goes a long way to redressing the balance and, personally, I think the two Paul Bs have played a blinder.

Totally agree. Club have got it SPOT on here.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Firstly let's assume that the ST cost is evenly spread throughout the season and works out at say £20 a game. If that were to be the base price for one-off tickets it still might be too high to attract casual fans. Speaking as a casual fan myself there is no way I'm going to pay £20 to watch Rotherham on a Tuesday night in the middle of winter when we're in the bottom half of the table.

Agreed. £20 is a tough sell for Rotherham any day of the week :)
That said this is all highly speculative anyway. Albion haven't announced they're adopting this system (if they have - good to see a link ?) and they try all sorts of different methods throughout a season to attract casual fans with different pricing (half season tickets, student prices, evening season tickets, kids for a quid). i'm sure they'll be trying more...

NB: the average ST price for Adults / Average Match Day Pricing for Non STH (- there was a table in the Leeds prog)
North Stand/Zone A - £20 (£29)
WSU - £24 (£34)
WSL/East Stand/Zone C - £25 (£36)
WSL/East Stand/Zone D - £28 (£39)
WSL/Zone E - £31 (£39)
Family Stand - £22 (£29)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is no way the price for a single match ticket will fall below the pro-rataed season ticket price. I think my WSU price works out at about £23 per game. I can't see league match tickets being any cheaper than that, even for the crappiest opponents for a mid-Winter midweek game. To do so would disenfranchise season ticket holders and there is no way match ticket pricing would be set to a level that would lead to many questioning the economic value in their own season tickets.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Easy to predict this season

It still amazes me that so many people think that "good" games are predictable. Footy can be wonderful or crap but you never know which it's going to be.

Hitters, you couldn't be more right, especially in this division. No one would have really predicted that Birmingham and Ipwich woulld have 12 goals between them with us winning both. On the flip side, people may have thought we may have scored at least a goal against the team rock bottom of the table. If football was easy to predict, bookmakers wouldn't have a job.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
There is no way the price for a single match ticket will fall below the pro-rataed season ticket price. I think my WSU price works out at about £23 per game. I can't see league match tickets being any cheaper than that, even for the crappiest opponents for a mid-Winter midweek game. To do so would disenfranchise season ticket holders and there is no way match ticket pricing would be set to a level that would lead to many questioning the economic value in their own season tickets.

It absolutely does at Derby - As mentioned earlier, the argument is that the pricing for a season ticket for a 'lesser' game is apparently set lower than for the 'better' games. Obviously that's not really the case, the STH sees it as x / 23 but that's the sell....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is no way the price for a single match ticket will fall below the pro-rataed season ticket price. I think my WSU price works out at about £23 per game. I can't see league match tickets being any cheaper than that, even for the crappiest opponents for a mid-Winter midweek game.

I like to think of mine as being cheaper even than that, once I've deducted the £156 per season the train would cost me if it wasn't included :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm. Yes, but as mentioned earlier what if they DON'T equally pro-rata the games on your ST and they say that a QPR is worth more than a Rotherham?

Also, in either case, would you as a STH really be that upset if occasionally the one-off punters get a better deal? When the catering prices were increased way above inflation a lot said they would still pay them as it was 'helping the Albion'. Is the occasional financial loss really going to piss you off that much or would you accept it for the greater good?

And this does all assume that the club will be desperate to shift tickets next year. As I mentioned earlier if we're doing well the tickets will sell themselves and the point is moot.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Ta [MENTION=300]ac gull[/MENTION] - good spot.

Here's the Derby system explained... "Demand Pricing"

Derby County operates demand based pricing for Home League matches, (it is not in place for Cup matches as prices are confirmed by the competition operators i.e. The Football League or The FA).
When tickets go on sale they are subject to price increases depending upon the demand for tickets for that match. Tickets are also subject to decrease in price but will not decrease below their starting price nor will they ever drop below the price a Season Ticket holder has paid, (subject to age related concessions). Adult, Senior and Junior priced tickets are all subject to change.

Prices can change on an hourly basis and could affect seating categories differently i.e. if seats in Category E are selling fast then the price in those areas is likely to increase, whereas prices in other seating categories that are not selling so fast might not increase, and in some cases prices in those areas might even decrease

Where I got this from is on page 15 of the Leeds programme under the "average savings tables" it says:

"Please Note: We set our match day ticket prices on a dynamic basis on factors like opponent, time of year and day of the week. We are always actively encouraging new fans ...."

The first part above sounds to be like a mirror image of the Derby system given in detail above - only know about the Derby system as live near there - it was introduced by their previous Chief Exec who comes from the US and is now in charge at Man City, assume he got knowledge of such a system from US, have a vague recollection he said it was quite common over there - where we will have also got the idea re our north American links

As I can't justify a season ticket any more re expense, travel time, family commitments and wasted journeys to watch .... am quite keen to see how this works out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. The club struggle to sell regularly priced tickets without ****-ups. This will be total and utter chaos. Melt down on day 1?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports