Ayari,
Weir,
Veltman,
Alzate,
Undav,
Adingra,
Enciso,
Pedro,

The only significant Albion first team experience from last season being Veltman, Enciso and Undav. I thought the boys done good :albion2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So what was that red card all about?

Second yellow following a stupid challenge. I didn't see the first yellow being given (the foul is shown in the highlights) but I assume he did?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Second yellow following a stupid challenge. I didn't see the first yellow being given (the foul is shown in the highlights) but I assume he did?
I didn’t see the first yellow, and having watched the match back have no idea when it could’ve been given. I think the referee confused him with Hinshelwood who should’ve been booked just beforehand for an attempted drag back on Sterling around the half way line

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn’t see the first yellow, and having watched the match back have no idea when it could’ve been given.

He did a rugby tackle near the half way line. Gilmour then got fouled and Chelsea got a yellow - maybe Van Hecke did too?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Lamptey if he ever gets fit enough and probably Julio arriving this week. Milner can do a job if needed. Still could do with a left back.
I just think Lamptey is a wing back for us, and not a full back sadly. I'm not expecting he'll get much PL game time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
At least he tried to get us back in the game by giving the penalty away. Suspect he was taken off before he accidentally scored an own goal.
Shades of Duffy when Blackburn refused to sell him to us. Two own goals in one league match at Cardiff, wasn't it?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I thought we were good last night. First half by far the better team. Special shout out to Dahoud who looked great.

Did Van Hecke realise he'd already been booked? If he did then he was an idiot for making that needless foul on the wing.

Not sure RdZ knew he'd been booked. Maybe he'd have taken him off and left Webster on in that case.

Thought Pedro looked fantastic, giving us a very different option upfront to Fergie, Welbeck and Undav.
It was a shame Adingra ended up back in defence because I would have liked to see what he could do.
Enciso fell into his old habit of trying to do too much, although did lay off one good pass to Adingra.
Felt sorry for the new goalie. Comes on , loses his centre half and then has 3 put past him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As one has got used to match report virtually all about Chelsea……however when invited to click on a link to rate Brighton players it’s a tad annoying that it takes you to a link about Arsenal

Still it’s just a preseason friendly that will mean sod all when the real stuff gets going

At
As one has got used to match report virtually all about Chelsea……however when invited to click on a link to rate Brighton players it’s a tad annoying that it takes you to a link about Arsenal

Still it’s just a preseason friendly that will mean sod all when the real stuff gets going
At least there is a match report; The Guardian doesn't give the match a mention at all - although it does cover Arsenal v Man U (and has an article on Chelsea's reliance on youth).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Dunk, Estupinan, Milner, Lamptey, Buonanotte, Caicedo, Igor, Ferguson didn't feature at all last night. Three or even four or perhaps 5 (if Caicedo doesn't happen and it might) will probably start v Luton. Starting to wonder who is going to be left out of the matchday squads now. Can't fit em all in.

eg:

GK: Steele/Verbruggen
Defenders: Veltman/Lamptey Igor/ Dunk/JPVH/Webster Estupinan
Pivot: Gilmour, Dahoud, (Caicedo), Alzate, Gross, Milner, Ayari
AM: Lallana, Joao Pedro,
Wingers: Adingra, March, Enciso, Mitoma, Buonanotte
Forwards: Undav, Welbeck, Ferguson

* obviously there's a lot of versatility in there so the players will be popping up all over the place. Gross and Milner for example.

that's a squad of 26 already.

+ Palmer ? + Kudus ? + Colwill ?

with no room for any of the other u21s (most of whom will be on loan i imagine)

Last edited:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Takes a particular sort of dunce to earn 2 yellow cards in the same phase of play in a pre-season friendly. I know there's not much point to these games other than getting match fit, but it's hard to get any benefit at all if you get sent off.

Other than that, concur with all the above posters praising the quality and depth of that squad - looking good.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
How many of those plastics have ever been anywhere near Stamford Bridge. "Let's go Chelsea" - yeah, whatever.....

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Chelsea wanna be Brighton so much they have chartered a 2nd plane to bring all their holiday purchases back with them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So my team - today at least - for Luton is >>

Steele
Veltman, Dunk, Igor, Estupinan
Dahoud (Caicedo), Gross
March, Joao Pedro, Mitoma
Welbeck

Subs:
Verbruggen
JPVH
Milner
Webster
Gilmour
Enciso
Lallana
Adingra
Ferguson

Can't find room for Lamptey, Buonanotte, Undav, or Ayari.
(let alone any 1-2 future signings or 1-2 youngsters)
But hey we'll have injuries, players out of form etc. but thats decent depth right there.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
So my team - today at least - for Luton is >>

Steele
Veltman, Dunk, Igor, Estupinan
Dahoud (Caicedo), Gross
March, Joao Pedro, Mitoma
Welbeck

Subs:
Verbruggen
JPVH
Milner
Webster
Gilmour
Enciso
Lallana
Adingra
Ferguson

Can't find room for Lamptey, Buonanotte, Undav, or Ayari.
(let alone any 1-2 future signings or 1-2 youngsters)
But hey we'll have injuries, players out of form etc. but thats decent depth right there.
I'm not sure why Igor is in everyone's team just because he's new.

I'd say Dunk and Webster will start and if fit Lallana is more likely to start than Pedro.

De Zerbi has been great at introducing néw players but they all got phased in at the right times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here