PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Stockdale 8 - Very good game, good distribution, couple of good saves. Though also parried the ball and gifted Birmingham an opportunity to take the lead, and went missing for a cross late in the second half
Bruno 4 - Generally awful game. Poor passing, getting in Ince's way, was out of position when Birmingham got in behind and he overcompensated by bringing the player down for a blatant penalty, gets a point for providing the cross for one of our goals
Greer 6.5 - Good performance, a couple of nice through balls
Dunk 5 - Switched off for their first goal and played their guy onside, got turned for their second (and stood off for the third)
Bennett 6.5 - some good attack intent
Ince 7.5 - Generally good, though had some poor passes and untidy play
Kayal 7.5 - constantly wanting to be involved
Teixeira 8.5
Calderon 8
Baldock 7 - Couple of terrible decisions in the first half showing his lack of confidence in front of goal, but improving the defensive side of his game and putting some good balls into the box
Best 6 - One moment where he held the ball up well, otherwise quite anonymous

CMS 5.5 - One really good first touch, but inability to turn, or run with the ball negates his pace
Stephens - Good to see him back
Lualua - Seemed to not want to really go for it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale 7.5 Good save From point blank range, good lucky penalty save abysmal push back out to penalty spot but lucky it was blasted high.
Bruno 6 Did his defensive duties covering a poor CB
Greer 4 seems to have lost it.
Dunk 6 Not his best game gets turned to easily in the box.
Bennett 7 Composed and did well both defensive and attacking.
Ince 7 gets better each game
Kayal 7.5 Bossed our midfield and we noticed it when he went off
Calderon 7 gets 2 extra for 2 goals other ghan that he was poor.
Baldock 6 tries hard playing out of position but looked better when Lua Lua came on and he movedmore centre.
Tiexiera 8.5 MOM Great performance would have been higher but tired 2nd half.
Best 6 led the line well and dragged the CB out of position. Will score 6 - 8 goals between now and end of season
Subs
Lua Lua 5 did what he had to do held the ball
CMS 5 as per Lua Lua
Stephens 5 looked a yard short of oace and ideas but this will come with more playing minutes.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Hughton needs to sit down with the team and analyse those B'ham goals in great detail, going through the videos time and time again until those numbskulls in our defence have grasped what they should be doing in their defensive roles. Embarrassing.

Stockdale 9. MOM. We would have gone in 3-1 down at half time with the game over if not for him. Great saves and very good distribution. I don't think he was at fault for the goals.
Bruno 4. We need a new RB for next season. A couple of good passes, but mostly I recall misplaced passes, poor defending, and conceding a penalty.
Greer 4. A couple of lovely passes, but, as with Bruno, interspersed with too many poor ones and abject defending. He has to be dropped.
Dunk 5. Not his best game, but with the dross around him (see Bruno and Greer above) he had a lot on his plate.
Bennett 6. Probably the best of our back four, but most of he credit is for his attacking play.
Ince 8. Immense again. Constantly on the ball. Defending and passing good with the exception of a couple of poor balls in the second half.
Kayal 7. Very good, but not as some are suggesting on another thread a MOM performance. But give him time.
Calderon 7. Two very well taken goals and played OK without having a standout performance.
Tex 9. Two great goals and an excellent all-round performance. He has come along in leaps and bounds now that he has a manager who has the confidence to start him on a regular basis.
Baldock 7. A good game, but I still can't figure why we play a striker on the wing when we have two wingers on the bench?
Best 4. Didn't look interested most of the time. One crap shot from which it would have been easier to score. Cannot figure out why he is starting ahead of COG. Oh yes, of course, it's because Hughton brought him in and needs to prove he's the dog's bollocks. Well, Mr Hughton, he isn't, so start COG on Tuesday.

Subs:
CMS 5. Actually managed to control the ball better than we are used to seeing, but no end product.
Stephens 5. Clearly not yet match fit. Pulled out of one important tackle.
KLL - not on long enough to rate.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Stockdale 8 - Very good game, good distribution, couple of good saves. Though also parried the ball and gifted Birmingham an opportunity to take the lead, and went missing for a cross late in the second half
Bruno 4 - Generally awful game. Poor passing, getting in Ince's way, was out of position when Birmingham got in behind and he overcompensated by bringing the player down for a blatant penalty, gets a point for providing the cross for one of our goals
Greer 6.5 - Good performance, a couple of nice through balls
Dunk 5 - Switched off for their first goal and played their guy onside, got turned for their second (and stood off for the third)
Bennett 6.5 - some good attack intent
Ince 7.5 - Generally good, though had some poor passes and untidy play
Kayal 7.5 - constantly wanting to be involved
Teixeira 8.5
Calderon 8
Baldock 7 - Couple of terrible decisions in the first half showing his lack of confidence in front of goal, but improving the defensive side of his game and putting some good balls into the box
Best 6 - One moment where he held the ball up well, otherwise quite anonymous

CMS 5.5 - One really good first touch, but inability to turn, or run with the ball negates his pace
Stephens - Good to see him back
Lualua - Seemed to not want to really go for it.

I'm glad someone else noticed this, I thought it was just me.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Stockdale - 7 - saved the pen well and excellent one on one save but still left wondering whether he coulda shoulda got to the 2nd and 3rd goal? Seemed slow to go down bit like my ex.
Bennett - 7 - had a good game
Bruno - 5 - still annoys me, did some good stuff going forward but was badly at fault for the pen and some other errors.
Greer - 5 - just give it to Kayal or Tex don't try fancy long passes or lump it. Seems older and slower to me.
Dunk - 5 - meh, still over rated defensively. Credit due for those couple of occasions he STEAMS forward with the ball.
Calderon - 7 - bit iffy and slow when playing defensively but is getting in the right place at the right time in the box so that makes him priceless. Needs to teach the others.
Kayal - 8 - drops deep like Bridcutt used to but is much more of a ball player. Like him.
ince - 7 - was everywhere, winning the ball (and shock horror some headers) but still needs to find composure on the ball. good game, fan favourite. Reminds me a bit of Codner mixed with Smith.
Texy - 8 - frustrated me in the first half as he was a nearly man with his passing but second half he was mom.
Baldock - 7 - second half he put in some great crosses, in fact he seems to be the best crosser in the team at the mo (with his right). His natural position? No , not really but well played.
Best - 6 - seriously annoyed me first half - premier league quality ha! - but improved second half in his control and distribution. Seems moody tho.

Lua Lua - 7 - should have been on much earlier as he draws fouls and wastes time holding the ball - quality.
CMS - 5 - i really want him to be good again....but
Stephens - 6 - not ready yet?

I'd pretty much go with this. Thought stockdale should definitely have got to their third - seems slow down to a lot of those sorts of shots. Great penalty save though. Kayal immense, make him captain now and drop Greer for Hughes or Halford. Dunk making too many mistakes. Best played better than most giving him credit for - held the ball up well, brought others in to the game and created space for tex and baldock. He is moody though.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
I'll take that bet, that he won't

Put your mortgage on it! How anyone can give him above a 4 is absurd. Looked useless, disinterested and unwilling to go for anything that wasn't at his feet. There was a time in the first half where i think there was a cross into him in the six yard box and he refused to go for it

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Stockdale - 9 - I don't think it's possible to understate how important that penalty save could be to our season
Bruno - 3 - An absolute liability as usual. Unfortunately, he seems to have become a terrible right back. That contract offer may have come a tad early.
Greer - 4 - Distribution absolutely hideous (always the receivers fault incidentally)
Dunk - 6 - Our best defender as usual but turned too easily for one of their goals
Bennett - 5 - Not his finest game. If I'm honest, I don't see him as a long term answer for us at left back
Ince - 8 - An absolute beast of a performance. Continues to beg the question as to quite why Hyypia seemingly didn't trust/rate him
Kayal - 8 - A proper footballer. Oozes quality, demands the balls, looks for a killer pass. Too good for the Championship in my opinion
Teixeira - 9 - Little twinkle-toes. Dynamic, assertive and creative. Improving by the game under Hughton
Calderon - 9 - Just give him a bl**dy contract. I don't care about the business aspect, football has to have some heart in it and today proved that he still has a lot to give
Baldock - 7 - Looked tidy and neat. Impressive coupe of balls into the box too. I really like him
Best - 4 - Very much a weak link, but better than CMS

Subs:
CMS - 3 - Baffling substitution. O'Grady was clearly the option we needed simply because CMS cannot hold a ball up for toffee
Stephens - 6 - Didn't really get int the game but had some neat touches
Lua Lua - 7 - Brought something different to the side and looked lively and direct. Promising

Overall, it was a team of 4 parts today: excellent goalkeeper, hideous defending, brilliant midfield and pointless strikers. I have to admit, I didn't this the line up was very positive but I was proved wrong s happy with that. Kayal looks like a real gem, Teixeira and Calderon really proved their worth and Stockdale may have paid off his £1m price tag today with those two saves. The only negative was bringing on CMS, who for me, just does not cut it. Best is clearly Hughton's man but O'Grady must be really confused as to why he's not in the side given the miserly return of his competing strikers.

What a game though. Could be a real turning point...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stockdale 9 Penalty save added an extra point. Not luck at all.
Bruno 7 Bottled up Dyer completely in the second half*. Lost concentration but made up for it.
Dunk 5 Lost concentration
Greer 6 Lost concentration
Bennett 7 Good game but not totally convinced by him.
Ince 8 Dominant
Kayal 7 Ordinary
Teixeira 9 Getting better and score two
Calderon 8 Playing very well, which disguises his lack of pace (OK as long as he is not right back)
Baldock 6 Divided opinion about him. Contributed quite a lot but I was very disappointed about his lack of shooting skill
Best 5 Only saved by his ability to keep the ball. One shot was abysmal.

Mackail-Smith 6 I could see why has was introduced but did not get the breaks
Stephens 6 Out of match practice, but contributed.
Lualua 6 OK

Hughton 7 Against poor opposition we made a meal of it

Referee 7

* I was looking forward to see how Bruno dealt with Dyer. But Dyer was taken off.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stockdale - 9
Bruno - 6 - some good some bad, passing awful.
Bennett - 6 - usual poor defensive work, ok going forward
Greer - 5 - Needs a rest
Dunk - 5- Arguably culpable for 1st and 3rd.
Kayal - 8 - made a difference
Ince - 7
Calderon - 8
Texeira - 8 - just hope he doesn't revert now to his poor game following a good one.
Baldock - 7 great shift for the team, great cross for Caldy
Best - 5 - dire, poor movement and is not good enough. How he keeps O'Grady out (based on recent performances) is a mystery.

Stephens - 7 - composed when he came on
CMS - 6 - ran around a lot
KLL - N/A

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Sorry but I totally disagree about Ince, he was superb and rarely gives the ball away.Tex got 2 goals and was superb, Calds got 2 and is a legend, Stockdale turned the match for us but Ince ran them very close for MOM.

Ince allowed a striker with his back to him to turn and shoot to score their third goal, its moments like this that define players. I felt with us on the offensive more in this game he didn't stand out as much as usual. Not a massive criticism but he was responsible for their third.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
From the highlights, Dunk was culpable for the first 2 goals definitely, the second was very similar to the first Arsenal goal, where he just let the attacker turn and shoot. The first goal he was miles away from the man he should have been marking and was just standing watching. The third, Ince tried to win the ball from the guy turning, but went the wrong side and Dunk was just standing right behind Ince. Perhaps some are getting blinded by Dunk's goals, as from what I have seen of him (which is not a lot admittedly), he does not look a very good defender to me at times. But at least we have the staff now to help him get better. Kayal looks excellent so far and we have to get Baldock more central as he will score loads given the chances.

Having said that though, 4 goals is not to be sniffed at and is encouraging. Onwards.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
From the highlights, Dunk was culpable for the first 2 goals definitely, the second was very similar to the first Arsenal goal, where he just let the attacker turn and shoot. The first goal he was miles away from the man he should have been marking and was just standing watching. The third, Ince tried to win the ball from the guy turning, but went the wrong side and Dunk was just standing right behind Ince. Perhaps some are getting blinded by Dunk's goals, as from what I have seen of him (which is not a lot admittedly), he does not look a very good defender to me at times. But at least we have the staff now to help him get better. Kayal looks excellent so far and we have to get Baldock more central as he will score loads given the chances.

Having said that though, 4 goals is not to be sniffed at and is encouraging. Onwards.

As I said on another thread yesterday, Dunk has gone backwards since Hyppia's departure. Fortunately everyone else has gone forwards. Dumk has got into the bad habit of giving his opponent about a yard of space in the box - space to turn and shoot or space for a shot to take a deflection and away from Stockdale.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As I said on another thread yesterday, Dunk has gone backwards since Hyppia's departure. Fortunately everyone else has gone forwards. Dumk has got into the bad habit of giving his opponent about a yard of space in the box - space to turn and shoot or space for a shot to take a deflection and away from Stockdale.

Quite. Pretty basic stuff, but should be easily fixed on the training ground I would hope.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Stockdale 7 Some very over the top ratings from many on here. Great penalty save, at a crucial time, but penalty saves are often more luck than skill. Good 1 on 1 save, but lets not forget he conceded 3 goals and made one save from long range which he patted back to the striker on the 6 yard box.
Bruno 5 not as much flair as he normally shows.
Greer 5 age is against him. Will be surprised if he plays regularly next season.Been a superb servant for us.
Dunk 4 Worse that Greer. Was at fault for 2 of their goals. He has always lacked concentration. Makes far too many mistakes.
Bennett 6 Best of the defence. Couple of nice little touches to get round his man.
Ince 7 A very typical Ince performance. Beast.
Kayal 8.5 Brilliant. Showed what we have lacked in midfield. Great long range passes, great runs, and broke up play well. We looked worse when he went off.
Calderon 7.5 I love him, I really do. Not a winger but gives 100% every second. 2 very well taken goals.
Teixeira 9 a joy to watch at times. Not quite as good as he was against ipswich, but a MOM performance.
Baldock 6.5 in and out of the game. A great assist.
Best 5 Would like to see COG get another chance vs Leeds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports