Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Match of the day tonight

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So apparently we're 7 places above last season because Maupay has scored a couple more goals. Ridiculous

If you argue that you take away his goals / thus his points earned then Maupay's goals this season have earned us >>

Burnley (2 points)
Leicester (2)
Palace - A (1)
West Ham (1)
Southampton (1)

and those assists at Everton and Leicester and the OG against Palace probably contributed to points too.

After 23 games last season his goals had earnt us points at
West ham (1)
Wolves (1)
Leeds (2)

So the difference measured like this is er, 3 points.
Mind you last season Maupay only scored once in the last 15 games.

Stumpy Tim

If you argue that you take away his goals / thus his points earned then Maupay's goals this season have earned us >>

Burnley (2 points)
Leicester (2)
Palace - A (1)
West Ham (1)
Southampton (1)

and those assists at Everton and Leicester and the OG against Palace probably contributed to points too.

After 23 games last season his goals had earnt us points at
West ham (1)
Wolves (1)
Leeds (2)

So the difference measured like this is er, 3 points.
Mind you last season Maupay only scored once in the last 15 games.

I'm certainly not saying he hasn't improved, but quite clearly we've improved in a lot of ways. To say a slight improvement in the goals tally by Maupay is the difference is ludicrous. That's the life of a pundit I guess... they need to make something complex sound simple

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I didn't mind, it to be honest. Gave Brighton credit for how they played and how they are difficult to play against and then laid into Watford, who were – on that showing – pretty gash.

Maybe the stuff with Maupay was a bit lacking in detail/accuracy, but there's still an element of truth in it...

Objectively, Watford was a 'bigger' story than Brighton on Saturday night: new manager (and no bounce); probably going down and had another shocker.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm certainly saying he hasn't improved, but quite clearly we've improved in a lot of ways. To say a slight improvement in the goals tally by Maupay is the difference is ludicrous. That's the life of a pundit I guess... they need to make something complex sound simple

Agreed . Even digging into the data is pretty inconclusive . Its far more nunanced that just Maupay has scored a couple more goals = Brighton in 9th !

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm certainly not saying he hasn't improved, but quite clearly we've improved in a lot of ways. To say a slight improvement in the goals tally by Maupay is the difference is ludicrous. That's the life of a pundit I guess... they need to make something complex sound simple

This.

The "Brighton don't score enough" mantra was the key issue according to everyone with an opinion.
Last season we managed 40 from 38, This season it's 25 from 23. Hardly an earth shattering improvement.

Last season we were one of the worst for dropping points from winning positions.
This season one of the best for taking points from losing positions.

Our improvement is all part of the evolution that Potter has been talking about since he started.
Learning and improving game, by game, season, by season.

Last edited:

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
This.

The "Brighton don't score enough" mantra was the key issue according to everyone with an opinion.
Last season we managed 40 from 38, This season it's 25 from 23. Hardly an earth shattering improvement.

Last season we were one of the worst for dropping points from winning positions.
This season one of the best for taking points from losing positions.

Our improvement is all part of the evolution that Potter has been talking about since he started.
Learning and improving game, by game, season, by season.

Exactly, we are conceding fewer goals too.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Exactly, we are conceding fewer goals too.

Which was something we were told, we didn't need to focus on, because our defence was so good, last season.

I made the point at the time, that it wasn't so much about the number of goals scored/conceded. as when we scored/conceded.

Potter has made huge inroads into squad mentality and game management this season.
That is the biggest difference to me.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Which was something we were told, we didn't need to focus on, because our defence was so good, last season.

I made the point at the time, that it wasn't so much about the number of goals scored/conceded. as when we scored/conceded.

Potter has made huge inroads into squad mentality and game management this season.
That is the biggest difference to me.

Agree 100%
I know we got lucky with Dennis hitting the bar, but otherwise looked in no danger.
In previous seasons, whenever we went 1 up, you just knew we would concede a soft equilizer soon afterwards and all our good work would go to waste.
Our game management is much better this season, and that is why we are 9th, not 16th.
Of course the other reason is when we concede first we keep going and get stronger as the game goes on. Another goal yesterday in the last 10 minutes. I think it is down to a stronger squad. We left Trossard on the bench for the whole 90 minutes and he has been one of our best three players this season.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agree 100%
I know we got lucky with Dennis hitting the bar, but otherwise looked in no danger.
In previous seasons, whenever we went 1 up, you just knew we would concede a soft equilizer soon afterwards and all our good work would go to waste.
Our game management is much better this season, and that is why we are 9th, not 16th.
Of course the other reason is when we concede first we keep going and get stronger as the game goes on. Another goal yesterday in the last 10 minutes. I think it is down to a stronger squad. We left Trossard on the bench for the whole 90 minutes and he has been one of our best three players this season.

I think "got lucky" is a bit strong. by the same token about 7 other teams got lucky against us last season.

Funnily enough the Spurs game last week felt like a throw-back to last season.
We conceded some sloppy goals.got back into it and then threw it away again straight afterwards.

I was a little concerned that the frailty we had sorted out had re-surfaced.
Hopefully that was acknowledged and sorted out again quickly.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think "got lucky" is a bit strong. by the same token about 7 other teams got lucky against us last season.

Funnily enough the Spurs game last week felt like a throw-back to last season.
We conceded some sloppy goals.got back into it and then threw it away again straight afterwards.

I was a little concerned that the frailty we had sorted out had re-surfaced.
Hopefully that was acknowledged and sorted out again quickly.
But last season, Dennis would have scored! Fortunately Dennis thought he was Leo Trossard (last season version), gets through 3 players and then smashes against the bar!

Agree about Spurs defensive performance, hopefully just the rustiness of no game for 2 weeks and Dunk coming back from injury.
But we can't afford to do it against Man U, they tend to punish us for those mistakes

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The MOTD failing is because they gave us bugger all time. Whilst an awful Manure team got acres of match and analysis time.

They only had five games to cover.

How the hell would they cope with 10 Saturday games?

Timed it:

Watford vs BHA
Highlights 7:42
Interviews 1:16
"Analysis" 2:43
Total 11:41

Man Utd vs Southampton
Highlights 9:25 (+22%)
Interviews 2:16 (+79%)
Analysis 7:10 (+164% !!)
Total 18:51 (+61%)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports