Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match day Travel Survey

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You can’t have more than a 4 coach 377 if you want to turn around in platform 5 at Lewes. If you don’t turn around in platform 5 at Lewes you have 2 less trains an hour. If a 313 is provided you can have 6, there has not been a service in the last 3 weekend games where less than 40 carriages an hour have been provided on Brighton - Lewes - Falmer. If you can magic extra carriages out of nowhere and an extension to Lewes Platform 5, I would love to hear it. Compared to many other stadiums in the country that is a far better service, you just choose to moan about it, because you can’t get a seat, which I’m afraid is a completely unrealistic expectation. I think also despite your negativity, there are a lot of very hardworking people (and a lot of Brighton fans) who put a plan in every match day to provide a good service with the resources available, if you want to make the plan go ahead and come up with a better one.
You can prove anything with actual facts, knowledge and technical details.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
That's not a survey intended to canvas views on improving match day travel. That is a survey designed to judge whether they can charge more for a service we already pay for in the ticket price. It's not free, it's included.

As has been said, if they could use the additional income to improve the service that would be welcome. I'm betting they won't and the P&R charger is just to deter the walk & ride.

I'm ttrying not to be cynical but I hate consultations that are not meant to consult.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unfortunately the survey has come over as Albion have had enough of paying out for free travel and to retain would like to pass as much of cost as possible on to supporters. It will of course not be practical to remove free trains to and from Brighton and Lewes but looks like everything else is up for grabs.
I think it would have been far more positive from club if initial survey was just asking peoples opinion on travel arrangements and opinions how it could be improved.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
on the reflection it seems the survey is trying to do 2 things:
gauge reactions to removing subsidy/charging for P&R. Personally charging say £2 per person for P&R buses doesn’t seem unreasonable as that’s a £1 each way and can accommodate the many people that now use the service but park elsewhere and walk up.
Also seems to be trying to get support for an extended outside fan zone by showing there is a need for it to help stagger arrival and leaving times thus easing the crowds at final whistle.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Once again a poll rigged. Whatever your answer they'll twist it to their advantage.
Big question is the 'will you renew' to which I guess everyone will say no.
P&R surely should be per car as it always is with events other than EPL. Per person would encourage people to drop off passengers at the ground first thus causing chaos.
Training day parking at the ground was £5 and car (coach) park was full. A small cost people will pay, the same as P&R for the FA Cup.
I agree it should be per car.
gauge reactions to removing subsidy/charging for P&R. Personally charging say £2 per person for P&R buses doesn’t seem unreasonable as that’s a £1 each way and can accommodate the many people that now use the service but park elsewhere and walk up.
Also seems to be trying to get support for an extended outside fan zone by showing there is a need for it to help stagger arrival and leaving times thus easing the crowds at final whistle.
When we paid for cup games, it was £5 per car.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I agree it should be per car.

When we paid for cup games, it was £5 per car.

Per car is good as it encourages car sharing which is a good thing. However so many people now walk up to the P&R sites and use the service that something needs to be done to address that. Banning them from using the service seems churlish.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Collecting a quid or two from every car would be a nightmare……..huge queues to get in to the P&R sites, or to get on to the buses if collected there

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Collecting a quid or two from every car would be a nightmare……..huge queues to get in to the P&R sites, or to get on to the buses if collected there
That was one of the price points they had in the survey so obviously the club must have an inkling on how they’d manage it. Given it’s a cashless stadium and all that I’m guessing it would be pay online and show the ticket as you get on. It’s just a way to accommodate those that use P&R but don’t actually park there.

*Edit* I’m not saying the club should do this but seems the least harsh/most reasonable of the options that they put forward. Obviously £10 a person for P&R is bonkers given a car of 5 or more can park at the Bridge for £15.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've just done the survey and read bits of the thread. A few comments:

Firstly, the travel isn't really "free". It's part of the cost of the ticket. What I didn't see anywhere from the survey is the option that the travel subsidy would go and match tickets would fall in price in line with the drop. So they are effectively asking permission to put prices up again. The small rise this renewal is ok in isolation but when you consider that people's mortgages are going up by between £300 and more than £1000 compared to last year, the cost of energy and the cost of food this is very disappointing. However, those same increased costs are the reasons and we're the first ones to ask the club to buy decent players and renew contracts. Rock and hard place.

Secondly, the train service to/from Brighton is excellent. If you don't like standing, frankly, don't use it. If you use a bus back to Brighton or a P&R site you might be standing anyway. However, the connecting service from Coastway West is shocking and you are currently unable to get on at Portslade. This would mean I'd need a bus ticket (x2) and then get a train ticket at Brighton (we normally bus to Churchill Sq, have a pint in town then train it) and the same home, adding even more cost, just because the timetable on CW got reduced from every 20 mins to every 30.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The club are trying to create the ultimate fan through machine learning.
I'm assured that progress is being made.
A good topic for a thread if it’s own. What would the ultimate AI fan be?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Per car is good as it encourages car sharing which is a good thing. However so many people now walk up to the P&R sites and use the service that something needs to be done to address that. Banning them from using the service seems churlish.
I cant understand what is wrong with walking up to a P&R Site. Do you expect people who live say close to Mill Road to get in there car and park in Milll Road before able to use service

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
One option not shown is - transport supplied by 3rd Party vendor i.e. a pub , not sure how many pubs provide this but its the option I use and pay £5 return for it. P&R is no good if you want to have a drink and don't live close to the hub. Trains are no good if you don't live close to the route. So people are then forced to drive which is crazy and might be encouraging drink driving..

If you want to encourage people to the ground then make it easy for them (and cheap) and preferably green.

If the club want to start directly charging for the service then they will need to improve it significantly , queuing an hour after the game for a bus in the rain is nonsense.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Having slept on it i think we have to wait and see how this pans out. Hopefully there are surveys to follow and some opportunities to feedback genuine improvements rather than just testing the waters to a fee for P&R (which is probably more realistic than train). Not a great start though

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One option not shown is - transport supplied by 3rd Party vendor i.e. a pub , not sure how many pubs provide this but its the option I use and pay £5 return for it. P&R is no good if you want to have a drink and don't live close to the hub. Trains are no good if you don't live close to the route. So people are then forced to drive which is crazy and might be encouraging drink driving..

If you want to encourage people to the ground then make it easy for them (and cheap) and preferably green.

If the club want to start directly charging for the service then they will need to improve it significantly , queuing an hour after the game for a bus in the rain is nonsense.
I often drive - at no point have I felt ‘encouraged‘ to drink-drive. Sure most people are able to disassociate the two things

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I cant understand what is wrong with walking up to a P&R Site. Do you expect people who live say close to Mill Road to get in there car and park in Milll Road before able to use service
Absolutey nothing wrong with it and I’ve done it myself at times. (Not sure where I said it was a bad thing.)

If people are paying, per car, to use the P&R service then the club will presumably want the walk up folks to pay too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here