[Albion] Mat Ryan new deal?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Im not saying we should get rid of Ryan by any means, but genuinely don't understand why it would "be harsh" if the club did buy a keeper who was better than Ryan?

Unless you already have the best keeper on the planet, I would be happy if the club bought a better GK.

Ryan is the best of what we have and should start for that reason alone, but cant be any room for sentiment if a better or competing option became available for the right price.

Who says he’s better? Short arsed goalkeepers have to be much more bouncy than great big lanky blokes!!

Socceroos number 1.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Alright, easy.

Nothing high and mighty. My opinion too!

I just think it’s an area that could be improved. The fact there are reports linking us with GKs suggest the club feel the same.

Fair enough. You do seem to mention that people didn't agree with you quite regularly if you think you've been proved right.

In terms of the reports, I haven't seen anything reliable to say we're after a keeper. At the moment we have four (and Sanchez too). If Sanchez goes on loan and Button goes to West Brom, we may well stick with what we've got (Ryan, Walton and Steele) or you may be right and we may look to sign another keeper. May well be more of a reflection on the club's views on the other keepers, than their view on Ryan

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maty is still our no 1 and a fine keeper ... though a little pressure on a place never did anyone any harm

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think he's been one of our best players in the Premier League so deserves his place. I also feel it's not an area we should be spending big money on, as Ryan is a very good first choice keeper for us. A relatively cheap keeper to compete more with Ryan than Button and Steele have I can understand, although I assume the club hope Walton will cover that.

agree generally, its not the highest priority area, though we would have been screwed if he got injured last term as Button isnt PL level, plus he was out of form/low on confidence for a part last season and thats when you need someone as capable breathing down his neck.

The old adage, that its not worth doing business unless its for better than what we already have, comes to mind.

I'd love cakir or similar (if money allowed) as iron sharpens iron, good competition drives you on.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
agree generally, its not the highest priority area, though we would have been screwed if he got injured last term as Button isnt PL level, plus he was out of form/low on confidence for a part last season and thats when you need someone as capable breathing down his neck.

The old adage, that its not worth doing business unless its for better than what we already have, comes to mind.

I'd love cakir or similar (if money allowed) as iron sharpens iron, good competition drives you on.

I do agree that more competition is needed. I thought Button did okay in his spell in the team while Ryan was at the Asian Cup. However, he and Steele are probably back up at best.

Will be interesting to see what they think of Walton. He didn't get great reviews from Blackburn fans from the sound of it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Maty is still our no 1 and a fine keeper ... though a little pressure on a place never did anyone any harm

I agree with this and have no anxiety about him. Having said that he seemed a shade off his usual standard in some of the lockdown games. His distribution is hardly Kuiperesque but it's not brilliant.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Or we’ve singed that crappy bloke from Celtic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thinking the same. Tom Rogic, tipped for PL move couple of days ago, linked with us......plus we have something they want. Duffy.

Could be that the tweet was referring too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports