Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Barwell doesn't seem keen to answer questions as to if he suppressed a fire report when Housing Minister

[TWEET]875622281774473216[/TWEET]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The just let them die we can't do anything more to get them out safely is the Victorian solution.

i gather the "stay put " advise is based on the principle that you're in more danger in the stairwell from smoke and moving fire, while the fire brigade expect to get to the fire and put it out or get to you before it does. which works if the fire moves slowly, so the main protection in tall buildings is fireproofing between walls, floors and doors. though i wonder how many people prop open a fire door for convenience (answer, we all do it, though i take great issue when i see a fire extinguisher being used to prop :facepalm: )

Kensington council leader seems to be blaming the residents about sprinklers this morning, this chap could be in a lot of trouble.

what if he's right though?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Most large buildings are separated into zones that are protected from fire. As long as you are not in the zone that's on fire the best advice is normally to stay put. However in this case the fire bypassed this protection by spreading up the outside of the building and entering through windows. In that situation you need to get out as quickly as you can. You're better off taking a risk and making a run for it through the smoke and flames than waiting around for the fire to get to you. Which it will.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So what is coming out is that the cladding type used is illegal to install above four stories in the US, and the cladding recommended for high rise would have only been an added cost of £5000 on the £10m total refit.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So what is coming out is that the cladding type used is illegal to install above four stories in the US, and the cladding recommended for high rise would have only been an added cost of £5000 on the £10m total refit.

Cost of refurb of Buckingham Palace to the taxpayer?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

You lefties are all the same. There's not a magic money tree. And before you start going on about things such as the recent £130 million cost to the public purse of the election last week, remember we now have a strong and stable government, so it was money well spent.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the data specs for the cladding say that its specifically suitable for stories above 18m, about 4/5 stories. it also seems unlikely a product switch would be made for £5k saving on a £2.6m job (the value of the cladding contract). so i'd suggest being very careful about some of the information.

if you're reading the Indi article, there looks like a significant difference in the material, citing polythene rather than polyisocyanurate. it may be that the US has prohibited similar type of cladding? or that journalists are finding different bits of info that aren't all correct.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The real issue here is the hugh gap in equality and wealth, not just here but across the world some of which tragically caused lots of the victims to seek a better life here in the UK. It will never narrow, not before things become extremely violent anyway. Check your history books over the weekend, it's how we're programmed as a species. Millions of us don't give a feck about our fellow men and women. We all want a bit more than our neighbours, many want a lot more! And we justify this through our choice of work, career, spending etc. What if you had no choice though? Weren't born into certain advantages, everything from your basic biology to postcode you're brought up in? When this imbalance between the haves and have nots, who are always in the majority, becomes too big then it spills over into civil disorder and breakdown triggered by events just such as this. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen over course of this weekend, akin to Croydon and other riots in 2011. There are enormous splits in this country right now and a real sense of anger.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
the data specs for the cladding say that its specifically suitable for stories above 18m, about 4/5 stories. it also seems unlikely a product switch would be made for £5k saving on a £2.6m job (the value of the cladding contract). so i'd suggest being very careful about some of the information. if you're reading the Indi article, there looks like a significant difference in the material, citing polythene rather than polyisocyanurate. it may be that the US has prohibited similar type of cladding?

I get your point. This was from the Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...inquiry-latest-reynobond-london-a7792781.html

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You lefties are all the same. There's not a magic money tree. And before you start going on about things such as the recent £130 million cost to the public purse of the election last week, remember we now have a strong and stable government, so it was money well spent.

Do I detect a tad bit of sarcasm m'lord?! :)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
the data specs for the cladding say that its specifically suitable for stories above 18m, about 4/5 stories. it also seems unlikely a product switch would be made for £5k saving on a £2.6m job (the value of the cladding contract). so i'd suggest being very careful about some of the information. if you're reading the Indi article, there looks like a significant difference in the material, citing polythene rather than polyisocyanurate. it may be that the US has prohibited similar type of cladding?

And that's why we need a full public inquiry to go into every aspect of the reasons why this fire was so quick to spread.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? With c£10m spent on this building recently, it doesn't sound as though scrimping has taken place, but I say that as a complete layman.

It's difficult to try and not point the finger immediately following tragedies such as this, but it's clearly concerning to read that governments as far back as 1999 were given warnings about this:

Glyn Evans from the Fire Brigades Union told a Select Committee on Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs "we do not really recognise the problem of vertical envelopment. If you get multistorey buildings you will get fire spread up the outside if the cladding will permit it."

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You'r own posts on here link to the Rydon site which state the project was ECO funded. That's where the money came from.

I realise that. Do you realise that means they got it done even more on the cheap?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
it also seems unlikely a product switch would be made for £5k saving on a £2.6m job (the value of the cladding contract).

If a company thought a product was suitable and would save them £5k then they would go for the cheaper product.

It will depend on whether this product was believed to be and is accepted as suitable and fit for purpose; which it now appears clearly not be.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just a thought: Could it be that the company who actually made the cladding was and not the company who fitted it be at fault here?

There could be a whole host of possibilities regarding specification, certification, implementation, on-site quality control and inspections, existing cladding and materials, testing conditions etc. Very early to be speculating I feel on where the fault lies with the cladding.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is going to be one of the biggest, and most significant game-changing public inquiries we've had in years if it is done properly. I reckon most of us could come up with about 100 questions that need asking/answering for it - and that's as non-experts.

It's hard to recall a tragedy that was so accurately predicted and you suspect that a lot of people in authority will not be sleeping well at the moment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? With c£10m spent on this building recently, it doesn't sound as though scrimping has taken place, but I say that as a complete layman.

Its naïve to think like that though, I'm afraid.

To explain (apologies for massively simplifying):

1. The client wants a big construction job done. They write a specification of what is required (more accurately, pay someone else to write a spec). Various experts and consultants may have input into the spec. Various organisations and suppliers will happily provide free 'consultancy' that leans towards their preferred products being specified. Once your product is specified, the final contractor HAS to buy from you.

2. The client, invites main contractors to tender for the job of delivering the agreed specification. Most tender processes will lay out the criteria for choosing the successful bidder. 'Value' (ie price) is normally the highest weighted of the criteria. Other criteria will include experience in similar projects, quality of products, etc.

3. The company that wins the contract, undertakes to deliver the spec, in return for their quoted sum (lets say for example, £10m)

4. That Main Contractor may do some work themselves. Some main contractors these days (Wilmot Dixon, for example) don't really do any. They split the job up into smaller contracts, and invite sub-contractors to tender for those. (For example the cladding contract at Grenfell). Once again the tender process will 'weight' different criteria, to choose a winning bidder. I've personally worked on tenders for council projects (Leisure Centres) where the 'Value' is stated as the ONLY criteria. The companies tendering against those smaller contracts will each be working to an agreed spec, but each will want to strike a balance between winning the contract (so quoting as low as possible) whilst still making profit (keep costs as low as possible).

5. The subcontractor will then try to buy products to complete the job at lowest cost to themselves, without falling below the agreed specification. If there is any ambiguity in the spec they WILL seek to exploit it, by using materials / products that meet the wording rather than the spirit of that spec. We see this on a weekly basis in our industry.

Final point - a lot has been made of this '£5,000 saving' - suggestions that there's no way the compromise would be made over such a small figure. It might. Main contractors work to insanely small margins (sometimes as low as 2.5%). They will ALWAYS use the lowest price option that meets the spec.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It's difficult to try and not point the finger immediately following tragedies such as this, but it's clearly concerning to read that governments as far back as 1999 were given warnings about this:

Glyn Evans from the Fire Brigades Union told a Select Committee on Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs "we do not really recognise the problem of vertical envelopment. If you get multistorey buildings you will get fire spread up the outside if the cladding will permit it."

No it doesn't sound like scrimping, it's a failure on several levels. From what I understand about Brighton Council they will nitpick every aspect of a development and this is the sort of thing I am sure they would have spotted. The developer and council would be working very close with each other on large contracts like this. More than one person hasn't paid attention to a very important detail.

If it wasn't for the cladding the flats were probably very safe and didn't need sprinkler systems other than for piece of mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here