Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mason Holgate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It amazes me that his captain among others said “he got the ball” Watch it again. The ball hit his standing left foot while his right foot was halfway up Mitomus thigh which, if it had been rooted on the ground, could have ended his career. I have never seen Dunk and the others so angry. Live by the sword, die by the sword in my book. Still angry and in no mood to feel sorry for the thick ****.
It amazes me people have this belief about “winning the ball”….it’s irrelevant and has absolutely nothing to do with the laws regarding fouls.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Holgate's tackle and the racism directed at Holgate are two separate things.

Intentionally or not, Holgate and Sheffield United are conflating the two.

The racism should not be allowed to lessen or detract from Holgate's foul. The FA should guard against giving Holgate a lesser punishment for his foul, based on sympathy for him being a victim of a different crime.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

The racism should not be allowed to lessen or detract from Holgate's foul. The FA should guard against giving Holgate a lesser punishment for his foul, based on sympathy for him being a victim of a different crime.
My point entirely!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All those moaning about no apology, we don't know whether he has apologised to Mitoma or not. That's between the two of them.

The racist abuse is an unacceptable stand alone issue. Hope there are investigations into the worst of it and action taken. There was a piece reabout footballers and social media on the news yesterday and they focused on Neal Maupay and the death threats he received after the collision with Leno.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So am I right in thinking you believe this is being raised by Holgate/Sheffield to try and reduce his punishment? Personally, I don't see this as conflating the issues at all. Wilder has already said that Holgate has to take responsibility for his actions and he seemed to accept in this day and age, it is a sending off offence. The ban will be based on the ref's report, not some panel. He's got a three game ban.

What do you think is worse, the tackle or the racism?

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Mason Holgate did a shit tackle that could have seriously injured Mitoma, and he deserves criticism and punishment for that tackle.

Racism is a scourge against humanity, and is never acceptable.

E,g: If racism is added to criticise a football tackle, anything, even serial killing, ffs; it renders that criticism invalid.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Disgusting. Asians are notoriously racist, I mean bloody hell, most races have a racism problem, I don't think it will ever go.
So much abuse online comes from outside the UK.

Neal Maupay's abuse was covered on BBC R4 today programme this morning (that Arsenal win during lockdown)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It amazes me people have this belief about “winning the ball”….it’s irrelevant and has absolutely nothing to do with the laws regarding fouls.
Unfortunately all sorts of old tosh is reinforced by the wing men on Sky sports. These be ex-players who don't know the rules of the game.

Some are convinced that if you touch the ball milliseconds before going through the opponent and delivering a season-ending injury, that's all fine and dandy.

They also have the mind-reading skills of Dynamo with their ability to judge what the players intentions were. A great deal of this is based on prior knowledge of the offender being 'not that sort of player'.

When a player lands his foot down on the foot or ankle of the opponent after the ball has gone, this is reckless and dangerous play deserving one of two cards, based on the perceived level of recklessness and danger. f*** off with your "no intent".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How many billions of Asians are there in the world? Have you met them all?
The irony of calling out a race for racism has not gone unnoticed.

Sorry, when I said 'irony' I meant racism.

By definition. :shrug:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
So much abuse online comes from outside the UK.

Neal Maupay's abuse was covered on BBC R4 today programme this morning (that Arsenal win during lockdown)

We can’t know for sure where it comes from. Just because a profile appears to look a certain way I.e in this case Asian, you don’t know it really is, it’s not hard to write in another language, or use a misleading profile picture. VPN’s can mask location. Plenty of Asian people reside in the UK as well.

I’m only saying this because sometimes you see people saying that as though there aren’t racists in the UK and it’s the problem of other countries being inflicted upon us, when I don’t think it’s true at all. (Not that I think you were saying that).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here