Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Marvin Gaye estate suing Ed Sheeran over copyright infringement

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
And talking of Coldplay it should be noted that they managed to fight off a claim from guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani. Shame really as love Joe

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And talking of Coldplay it should be noted that they managed to fight off a claim from guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani. Shame really as love Joe

They didn't fight it off, they likely settled before it came to court, it was dismissed 'upon stipulation' which means that Coldplay probably paid up to avoid embarrassment. An army of outraged Coldplay fans would have us believe otherwise. Oh and Joe Satriani has more talent in his little finger than all Coldplay's dirges combined.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely there should be some sort of statute of limitations or something on this sort of thing. Mavin Gaye recorded the song about 20 years before Sheerin was even born - is there any evidence that young Sheerin will even have ever heard a Marvin Gaye song, let alone copied it?

Still, if it's an American court, any daft verdict is possible. Pick the right mad judge and somebody could probably claim that the C, F and G chord sequence was their invention, and everybody else has illegally copied it!

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Surely there should be some sort of statute of limitations or something on this sort of thing. Mavin Gaye recorded the song about 20 years before Sheerin was even born - is there any evidence that young Sheerin will even have ever heard a Marvin Gaye song, let alone copied it?

Still, if it's an American court, any daft verdict is possible. Pick the right mad judge and somebody could probably claim that the C, F and G chord sequence was their invention, and everybody else has illegally copied it!
Of course he'd heard it. He couldn't be unaware of Marvin Gaye. & I don't believe he got as far as releasing his song without at the very least (& kindest) realising he might've subliminally copied the original.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I'd put the chances of Ed Sheeran never having heard a Marvin Gaye song at somewhere between zero and nil. I haven't bothered to listen to Sheeran's song in question, and don't care to.

There is a limit on how long copyright lasts, albeit it varies depending on the purpose of the work and when it was made. Nowadays in America it's normally 70 years after the death of the author. There's an extremely long and boring "Duration of copyright" section in this Wikipedia article:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course he'd heard it. He couldn't be unaware of Marvin Gaye. & I don't believe he got as far as releasing his song without at the very least (& kindest) realising he might've subliminally copied the original.
I'm sure given the general demographic on NSC most of us will have heard of Marvin Gaye. Doesn't say we all listened to him much. Apart from 'What's Going On' I'd have trouble naming any Marvin Gaye songs. Oh, and the one he duetted with Tammy Tirrell, whatever that was called.
As for younger generations, I'm sure there's a whole lot of 60s and 70s stuff which they aren't aware of - and no reason why Marvin Gaye shouldn't be one of those (and even if they've heard of him, there's no guarantee they'd have listened to his material). Same as I'm aware of stuff before my time - Dean Martin, Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Glenn Miller - but I don't know much about them, let alone being familiar enough with their work to copy one of their songs!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm sure given the general demographic on NSC most of us will have heard of Marvin Gaye. Doesn't say we all listened to him much. Apart from 'What's Going On' I'd have trouble naming any Marvin Gaye songs. Oh, and the one he duetted with Tammy Tirrell, whatever that was called.
As for younger generations, I'm sure there's a whole lot of 60s and 70s stuff which they aren't aware of - and no reason why Marvin Gaye shouldn't be one of those (and even if they've heard of him, there's no guarantee they'd have listened to his material). Same as I'm aware of stuff before my time - Dean Martin, Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Glenn Miller - but I don't know much about them, let alone being familiar enough with their work to copy one of their songs!
Most of us, our age, will at least have heard heard it through the grapevine, let's get it on and sexual healing.

I couldn't name a single Ed Sheeran song though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wasn’t this Sheeran Gaye case thrown out some time ago?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yup. Following Sheeran bringing in his guitar and playing it for the jury, explaining music theory as he went.
Yeah. I remember this now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Most of us, our age, will at least have heard heard it through the grapevine, let's get it on and sexual healing.

I couldn't name a single Ed Sheeran song though.
Heard it through the Grapevine? Yes, I'd forgotten that one. Doesn't follow that younger generations know it though. I've heard of 'Sexual Healing', now you mention it, but I don't think I've ever actually heard it!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They didn't fight it off, they likely settled before it came to court, it was dismissed 'upon stipulation' which means that Coldplay probably paid up to avoid embarrassment.

I can't seem to hear anything in 'If I could fly' that's in Viva La Vida :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have heard about him.

Probably through the grape vine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here