Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Martinelli sent off

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Didn’t see the game although he did the same to Lamptey last season at Villa, two quick yellows after letting off Grealish for the entire game, shit ref.

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Harsh. If the ref had stopped play to give the first yellow card the second incident could never have happened and Mr Martinelli might’ve lasted until the end of the game. Possibly.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Harsh. If the ref had stopped play to give the first yellow card the second incident could never have happened and Mr Martinelli might’ve lasted until the end of the game. Possibly.

Naive from the player - they know most the time a ref won't do this.

To give 'play on' you are acknowledging a foul / incident but giving the attacking team an advantage to keep going, rather than stop the game / slow it down and the attacking team basically get no advantage. Excellent refereeing from a petulant bit of attempted shithousery

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good reffing that. Makes a change

100% agree, this was the right decision and you don't stop a game to award a yellow. However, I just think if this had been one of ours we'd be up in arms about it, which is why the call it the beautiful game!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Wolves were on the attack though as Martinelli had decided that pushing the player over was more important than defending and they took the throw quickly, why should they be penalised?

Don't have to stop play to book someone.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
As much as I enjoyed watching Arsenal (shit club with way too many fans round here) squirm in the last part of the game, this seemed harsh to me - reminded me of Davy's infamous rugby tackle and then chop down of a Bournemouth player a few years back which under Oliver's refereeing last night would of definitely got a red card. Think a yellow is right in the circumstances, as other posters have said he probably doesn't make the second challenge if he already knows he's on a yellow.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

I don't agree. We often see play waved on when someone commits a bookable foul. The ref then shows the card when there's a break in play. You're suggesting that play should be halted every time there's a yellow card offence?!

Martinelli lost his head. No one else's fault. Correct decision by ref (unless your name is Keown)!!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Agreed would be very easy to bottle a decision like that so fair play to him for not doing so.

We had a ref bottle a similar one the other week at Crowborough. Visiting player gives away a foul near enough on the half way line gets up and gives the ref some verbals. Dunno if he's booked for dissent or the foul, probably the former as it wasn't that bad of a tackle. After receiving his card he runs back past the Crowborough player waiting to take the free kick and toe pokes the dead ball off the field. Another booking and a red card surely? Nope!

What made it more annoying is in the second half the same player once again gave the ref a volley of abuse. The ref reached for his card and then saw who it was and decided a talking to was sufficient.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen posted on here.

:smile:

Stat puts down his paintbrush.
Stat puts his feet up on the sofa.
Stat rues another day wasted.

But there's honour at stake.
I didn't come this far for nothing.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's something that has annoyed me from time to time, so I'm glad to see a referee pick a player up on it

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

But then that would have denied Wolves the advantage they gained from the throw-in.

Very often refs will indicate to the player that they will be booking them at next break in play. No idea whether Oliver did that or not but it makes no real difference; they were clearly two separate bookable offences.

You can't lay blame at the ref's door just because a player is braindead.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

100% agree, this was the right decision and you don't stop a game to award a yellow. However, I just think if this had been one of ours we'd be up in arms about it, which is why the call it the beautiful game!

Not so sure. I'm not going to say he was wrong to give the two yellows. They were both yellow card offences, and he shouldn't get a pass on the second just because they didn't stop the first. The whole 'if he's already on a yellow he doesn't make the second challenge' is a bad argument for me - we shouldn't accept that the yellow card is there for everyone to have one free hit. That players will make an illegal challenge if they know it's only a yellow. That's not the spirit of the game. If he knows that challenge is yellow card worthy he shouldn't make it, and the whole 'if he's on a yellow' inherently requires him to know it's a yellow card challenge.

But at the same time, I can't say it was totally good reffing. That first foul wasn't an accident. He was clearly het up and getting 'over excited' - "good reffing" would have been to have noticed that and recognised if he let play continue Martinelli was at risk of going in with too much force.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But at the same time, I can't say it was totally good reffing. That first foul wasn't an accident. He was clearly het up and getting 'over excited' - "good reffing" would have been to have noticed that and recognised if he let play continue Martinelli was at risk of going in with too much force.

That's rubbish and not how a game should be managed. Why should the team being fouled - Wolves - be disadvantaged because of this?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That's rubbish and not how a game should be managed. Why should the team being fouled - Wolves - be disadvantaged because of this?

Not really. Because a player who is overexcited could lunge in and risk player safety, and player safety is one of the key things a referee has to consider. Recognising potential dangers is absolutely how a game should be managed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not really. Because a player who is overexcited could lunge in and risk player safety, and player safety is one of the key things a referee has to consider. Recognising potential dangers is absolutely how a game should be managed.

You can't referee on 'what ifs' though unfortunately. You can manage the game in a way, but to many times a game is stopped for a yellow card when play could be carried on. Especially as it was a spell of good attacking play for Wolves in this example

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You can't referee on 'what ifs' though unfortunately. You can manage the game in a way, but to many times a game is stopped for a yellow card when play could be carried on. Especially as it was a spell of good attacking play for Wolves in this example

They are constantly refereeing on 'what ifs'. Every weekend, multiple times a weekend, there are challenges that are ruled fouls because of what ifs. This time he mostly got the ball, but a foul is given because that type of challenge could potentially be worse.

And this isn't entirely a what if. This is a 'an offence has occurred and there is every reason to stop the game right now, but is there an argument to let the game continue; what is the benefit, what is the risk'. In this instance there was half a pitch and five defenders between the wolves player with the ball and the goal - there wasn't a clear goal scoring advantage, and there was a risk of the martinelli going in out of control risking the player safety.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
They are constantly refereeing on 'what ifs'. Every weekend, multiple times a weekend, there are challenges that are ruled fouls because of what ifs. This time he mostly got the ball, but a foul is given because that type of challenge could potentially be worse.

And this isn't entirely a what if. This is a 'an offence has occurred and there is every reason to stop the game right now, but is there an argument to let the game continue; what is the benefit, what is the risk'. In this instance there was half a pitch and five defenders between the wolves player with the ball and the goal - there wasn't a clear goal scoring advantage, and there was a risk of the martinelli going in out of control risking the player safety.

It doesn't need to be a goal scoring advantage, and it proves the ref got it right, Martinelli had to bring him down to stop the attack, he got sent off and they got a free-kick in a really dangerous area.

If he brings it back for the throw Arsenal re-organise and Wolves are highly unlikely to get that good a position from the re-start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here