Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Martinelli sent off

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not so sure. I'm not going to say he was wrong to give the two yellows. They were both yellow card offences, and he shouldn't get a pass on the second just because they didn't stop the first. The whole 'if he's already on a yellow he doesn't make the second challenge' is a bad argument for me - we shouldn't accept that the yellow card is there for everyone to have one free hit. That players will make an illegal challenge if they know it's only a yellow. That's not the spirit of the game. If he knows that challenge is yellow card worthy he shouldn't make it, and the whole 'if he's on a yellow' inherently requires him to know it's a yellow card challenge.

But at the same time, I can't say it was totally good reffing. That first foul wasn't an accident. He was clearly het up and getting 'over excited' - "good reffing" would have been to have noticed that and recognised if he let play continue Martinelli was at risk of going in with too much force.

But Wolves were on a break, good referring is to let the game flow and continue the advantage they'd created, shirley?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
There's is only one person at fault in any of this and that's Martinelli. He gave the ref a decision to make. I wouldn't argue that its unusual to get sent off like that, but that makes him even more of a plum for getting himself sent off in such a stupid fashion.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I remember watching Pascal Gross doing something similar a couple of years ago at The Amex - he could have been sent off....

Do you mean Davy Propper?

propper-davy.gif

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Question for everyone. If we say pushing a player in the chest and getting into words is probably a yellow....

Would you all give 2 yellows if the player in question did it to two different players in the same skirmish? It's 2 yellow's isn't it?

Or is that seen as one single moment of the player losing his head a bit? If so, then you could argue last night shouldn't have been a yellow.

I personally don't feel it's right to award the 2nd yellow if the player has no idea he has been booked for the first and advantage was being played from the first infringement.

Just my opinion, like.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Question for everyone. If we say pushing a player in the chest and getting into words is probably a yellow....

Would you all give 2 yellows if the player in question did it to two different players in the same skirmish? It's 2 yellow's isn't it?

Or is that seen as one single moment of the player losing his head a bit? If so, then you could argue last night shouldn't have been a yellow.

I personally don't feel it's right to award the 2nd yellow if the player has no idea he has been booked for the first and advantage was being played from the first infringement.

Just my opinion, like.

Should someone who drives at 90mph through two successive speed cameras receive two speeding fines/points...?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It doesn't need to be a goal scoring advantage, and it proves the ref got it right, Martinelli had to bring him down to stop the attack, he got sent off and they got a free-kick in a really dangerous area.

If he brings it back for the throw Arsenal re-organise and Wolves are highly unlikely to get that good a position from the re-start.

No, it doesn't have to be a goal scoring opportunity to allow advantage, but when assessing if it's wise to allow play to carry on, the degree of advantage should be important. This guy might lunge in and break someone's leg if I let it continue, if i don't what am I costing Wolves? In this instance it was progression up the pitch rather than a clear goal scoring opportunity.

He didn't have to bring him down to stop the attack. He brought him down because he was worked up and not in total control. He had other teammates around who could have assisted in defending the attack.

The freekick was barely in the final third and was out wide - not the most dangerous of areas - Arsenal were able to arrange a defence and fend off the danger, . Exactly the thing you say they would have done if the throw in was brought back. Ultimately, the only advantage Wolves got out of this passage of play, was their opponents being reduced to ten men. Are we really wanting refs to let play go on in the hope we can get lots more players sent off?

But Wolves were on a break, good referring is to let the game flow and continue the advantage they'd created, shirley?

As noted earlier, player safety is also an important part of good refereeing.

Let me be clear, in case anyone is confused - I'm not saying it was "bad" refereeing. I'm not saying he was wrong to give both yellows. I wouldn't say he was wrong to allow the play to continue. I just think a good referee would have recognised that:

- it was arguable the ball was even in play (- the foul occurred while the throw in was being taken. A reasonable argument can be made the throw wasn't legitimate and so the game hadn't restarted, with the ball out of play he needs to give the yellow card before allowing the game to restart).
- the advantage was limited
-the offending player was exhibiting overly aggressive behaviour at a point where he was already needing to be booked for an aggressive act, and player safety is one of the most important considerations.

How much criticism would the ref have received if he stopped play and gave the first yellow? I honestly don't think it would have even been a talking point. At most there would be "could it have been a red for a hand to the face?".

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here