Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Keown. Truth or disrespectful?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the squad will be focused on trying to win, to achieve their big target and another historic season for the club, as well as showing Arsenal how well we can play, and putting a dent in their title hopes.

If they were thinking about moves to big clubs, this close to the end of the season they would probably be jumping out of 50/50 challenges to avoid injury, and ensure they are available for the move to a big club, and therefore the game would be a walk in the park for Arsenal.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Good word ... and something that Keown isn't IMO.

You didn't get any ex Liverpool players - now pundits (there are quite a few) - saying anything like that about last Sunday's game.

oops. Corrected. Typing over my lunch break.

I knew what you meant though (y)
Not sure it couldn't have been left in though! As in - yes it's a bit disrespectful, but not enough to incite me to want to punch him....

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Almost all our players are not ready to move this summer and I´m thinking aware of it as well need another year or two almost the whole lot. Only Mitoma and Estupninan ready to move on

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The epitome of “only employed as a pundit because he played for a big club” IMHO

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Fun fact:

Keown has never (not EVER) been seen in the same room as The Piltdown Man.

(Not @PILTDOWN MAN of course, the other one)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Martin on talk sport saying he worries a little about Brighton(playing his beloved Arsenal) as the Brighton players will be playing for a move to a bigger club, putting themselves in shop window!
McAnthony told him he was being a bit disrespectful to us likewise, the chap from MGM giving the odds.
Getting his wanky pathetic hair-transplanted excuses in early.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Too many pundits seem to think we are nothing more than the current Plucky Bournemouth under Howe, and will go the same way as Saints, used to it now.

They may of course be right but they need to stand back and look at what DK and TB have done for this club before comparing us to any club not owned and run by a fan.

We are basically a miracle club :lolol:
Praise the lord.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
He was at Arsenal from childhood. He was with Brighton on loan from them :shrug:
In fairness to Seagull58, Keown might have been with Arsenal for a a few years when he was 14 years old, but he left there and signed for Aston Villa , played for their first team for 3 seasons and then Everton for a further 3 seasons before signing for Arsenal again.

I remember seeing Keown make his professional home debut for Brighton ( can't remember who against ? maybe Ipswich) and likewise wasn't overly impressed. He was of course very young at the time.

Apart from him eventually becoming a very solid defender, I simply do not agree with his assumption that our players look to turn on the skills on each individual match to enhance their chances of an upward transfer.

I can't imagine that if they have a group huddle before the game, they quickly remind each other..." don't forget lads, cameras at 5 0 clock 6 o clock and 7 o clock in the Northstand. Remember to only shoot with style " etc etc.

They go on that pitch as a team....nothing else.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Good word ... and something that Keown isn't IMO.

You didn't get any ex Liverpool players - now pundits (there are quite a few) - saying anything like that about last Sunday's game.
Ye but they were banging on about RDZ putting himself in the shop window for the Liverpool job.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Ye but they were banging on about RDZ putting himself in the shop window for the Liverpool job.
Maybe I missed that then as was at the game. But that in itself is a little odd as I thought RDZ had already been discounted for the job.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Arsenal believe everyone is obsessed with Arsenal. They’re worse than the scousers.
I’d love us to win tomorrow, for the reason above but also because I have a real dislike of Arteta, not really sure why!
I do too. I think it’s because he comes across as an absolute tosser.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
In an ideal world, we'd have smart, intelligent pundits that give a balanced opinion and quality analysis. What we've actually got is a collection of grizzled ex pros who can't or won't forget who they played for decades ago. Keown is just one of many old lags littering the studios.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Too many pundits seem to think we are nothing more than the current Plucky Bournemouth under Howe, and will go the same way as Saints, used to it now.

They may of course be right but they need to stand back and look at what DK and TB have done for this club before comparing us to any club not owned and run by a fan.

We are basically a miracle club :lolol:
People on here moaning about to us being viewed as what we are, a smallish club, while disrespectfully referring to Bournemouth as 'plucky' or 'tin pot'
#self-awareness. :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not that I am a great keown fan but I get what he is saying

The club have made it abundantly clear that they will not stand in the way of anyone from the management team down to the tea ladies who wants to move on to bigger and better things.

That is why I am not convinced that we are keeping whichever player wants to go this season, like Pedro, mitoma, Ferguson, Enciso Van Hecke etc etc and therefore all this “ we will be a lot better next season” speculation is just that!

The model is to buy low sell high and that has done wonders for our balance sheet and bragging rights over other clubs who are more interested in winning competitions.

It would be interesting to know, and we won’t do so until he leaves, what is the 5 year plan that the owner has in his mind and what he has said to RDZ to try and persuade him that it’s worth him sticking around and of course if that matches RDZ short term ambitions!

We have of course returning loanees and the Ghanaian guy coming to to club for next season so maybe knowing how adringa and mitoma benefitted from loans is our reason not to splash the cash in the summer.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Martin on talk sport saying he worries a little about Brighton(playing his beloved Arsenal) as the Brighton players will be playing for a move to a bigger club, putting themselves in shop window!
McAnthony told him he was being a bit disrespectful to us likewise, the chap from MGM giving the odds.
He did add that Roberto is unhappy at lack of quality in transfer window so perhaps the players who play tomorrow will want to show Roberto that they're good enough!
Martin Keown always reminds of one of those characters from Gorillas in the Mist, that have ditched their agent, and ended up on TalkSport after graduation from Ladybird books level 1.
Incomprehensible durg that eminates from his gob.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here