Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marshall/Murphy/Buckley/Bennett

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I was wondering how, nowadays transfer fees are paid? Is it lump sum one club to another or do they do it in say, over a period of time? just wondering

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't think I'd pay £5M for him. Seems way over the top.

Boro & Derby throwing cash around have really f****d the transfer window this summer. Clubs are now holding out for stupid money. Hopefully this is not sustainable and come the end of August, prices will become realistic and we'll get some of these targets.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Because we have allegedly had good offers turned down for the other players and we kniw what we will get with Buckley and Bennett, more a safety first approach rather than take a chance and I feel that both could solve our wide man problem at a reasonable cost.

Buckley's good - on his day - unfortunately his day doesn't come often enough. His glass hamstring won't stand a whole season and what makes you think it'll be a "reasonable price" - he's been on Premier League wages so would (very likely) have to take a pay cut to come back here. Sunderland would want to recoup most, if not all, of the money that they spent on him too and, as mentioned above, he didn't exactly leave on the best of terms.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I would be interested in the Gigg's opinion of him. Gigg's had hamstring problems and had a very good fitness record. And Buckley played well against Man United for Sunderland.

Giggs' hamstring problems were solved when he stopped buying a new Ferrari each year. His physio also reportedly used to tear up phone books to put into Giggs' boots !

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Don't blame us tbh - we don't have poxy parachute payments so can't really throw that sort of money around. Wish we'd got that Iranian - abroad seems much better value.

And that is where our winger (s) will come from. No value in England. Bang average players go for ridiculous fees.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Apparently Rovers want £5m. So I guess it's off.

I have a feeling it isn't the transfer fee that's the problem. I think the player himself is hopping that a Premiership offer comes in for him. I don't think I have ever watched him closely enough to determine how good he is so I don't really know what his true value might be

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have a feeling it isn't the transfer fee that's the problem. I think the player himself is hopping that a Premiership offer comes in for him. I don't think I have ever watched him closely enough to determine how good he is so I don't really know what his true value might be

You're guessing again. And you're wrong again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No chance, Shirley? If they charge Villa £6m for Gestede (Knowing they've trousered £40m+) then £5m for Marshall is bonkers.

Could be because we are another Championship club.

In our own example, Lewis Dunk will only be sold for a top end figure.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
£5m does seem to be a tad over the top for Marshall, would be understandable if the club turned attention to other targets...

Wouldn't mind James Forrest from Celtic, can play on the right or left, good at taking full backs on, strong, has a good work ethic, knows how to cross and also where the goal is, also has less than a year on his contract left.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If Elliott Bennett did not make the Norwich squad yesterday then we should definately make a move for him

He's ideal in a 442

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I guess we'll get an overseas winger, and either Murphy or Benno.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Pointless putting Buckley in it as he was a **** and more than anything was shite for the last couple of seasons and bloody injury prone too...bloom would never have him or bridcutt back and rightly so.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pointless putting Buckley in it as he was a **** and more than anything was shite for the last couple of seasons
When he had 35 league appearances, scored 8 goals, and helped get us to 4th in the table? I guess we remember it differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here