Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marseille

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
I registered as I didn't want to exclude any options , I will go to one of the three games at most (all I can afford) and the Marseille game is now looking like the least likely. I would be surprised if if take anywhere near 5k.... but will be happy to be proved wrong.
All a bit pointless if people register to go but don’t have any real intention of going. I expect there is a massive amount of people who have registered because “in their ideal world” they would go. But the reality will be far, far lower.

Maybe the club should ask people:
A) you have travel/accommodation sorted and you want a match ticket
B) you haven’t sorted anything but want a match ticket

I expect the actual number would be far nearer option A

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
What is it about working for a train company that gets people so butt hurt whenever people then complain about trains on here? Take a step back, it’s not personal abuse towards you… You might all be ‘trying your hardest’ but it doesn’t mean the service isn’t frequently shit.
Well not to re-hash it, but I’ve been consistently referred to as a bastard in terms of my profession by one user on here, as well as “why aren’t more people attacking railway staff”. I just don’t think the service is that bad compared to some stadiums, a lot of the problems are never going to be solved unless we have a new stadium, so I don’t get why some so consistently complain about it and most of the time it works fine, but you never see anyone refer to that. It quite often is shit, but the original post here, is complete hyperbole, of course they know the security risks. It’s not a crisis, or a nightmarish situation. The idea that no one puts on extra trains stupid, because it’s not true. Just don’t think anyone has a clue how it works. Just taking it particularly up with the “no extra trains” because for the last two home games while the majority of the network shut down at 7pm, Brighton to Falmer ran until 11pm. This is a thread about Marseille away, I don’t understand what that has to do with Falmer trains, this is completely off topic. Most of the time I am trying to be helpful, but it is getting shoehorned into a lot of threads.

Last edited:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Debating whether the 23:10 flight back from Marseille to Manchester on the Thursday is at all possible.

French are an hour ahead so kick-off is 1830, earliest potentially leave the ground would be 20:30 but imagine away fans held back so could be 21:00 out the stadium, then it would be making it from the stadium to the airport and to go through check-in, as would imagine check-in closes at 22:00

tigerbeesteve

tigerbeesteve
Jan 18, 2010
Bristol
All a bit pointless if people register to go but don’t have any real intention of going. I expect there is a massive amount of people who have registered because “in their ideal world” they would go. But the reality will be far, far lower.

Is anybody in the same scenario as me?

I registered because I definitely want and intend to go to Marseilles, but I can't start arranging my travel because I haven't got a ticket yet, nor any idea whether I will get one as an MA+ member.

The transport arrangements are pretty challenging, to say the least, so I appreciate everyone who has pointed out alternatives, that highlight it's possible to take some detours to make it affordable.

If, while we are waiting to see if we can buy a ticket, prices go up, and routes get full, then you can understand why many who registered decide not to get a ticket because it goes way over the price range they were anticipating.

I hope I don't end up falling into that category because I registered as I really want to see this match and will do all I can to get to Marseille....if I get a ticket!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Debating whether the 23:10 flight back from Marseille to Manchester on the Thursday is at all possible.

French are an hour ahead so kick-off is 1830, earliest potentially leave the ground would be 20:30 but imagine away fans held back so could be 21:00 out the stadium, then it would be making it from the stadium to the airport and to go through check-in, as would imagine check-in closes at 22:00
I imagine if we take the full 3000+ allocation, I cant see a situation where we aren’t held back.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Not sure whether that was a dig at me or the club, but in my defence when I registered there was little information to go on and didn't want to not have Marseille as an option. It has since become clear that travelling is going to be a nightmare e.g. seagulls travel not being able to sort out a charter flight and even something like getting a coach to Ajax is already restricted by lack of capacity on Eurostar.

I like the pre-registration option , indeed suggested something similar should be in place to gage our away allocations and in my opinion it would come with a commitment to pay for a ticket assuming you have enough points.

Things are still be sorted but I guess those with time, money and passion will go others can only wish.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not sure whether that was a dig at me or the club, but in my defence when I registered there was little information to go on and didn't want to not have Marseille as an option. It has since become clear that travelling is going to be a nightmare e.g. seagulls travel not being able to sort out a charter flight and even something like getting a coach to Ajax is already restricted by lack of capacity on Eurostar.

I like the pre-registration option , indeed suggested something similar should be in place to gage our away allocations and in my opinion it would come with a commitment to pay for a ticket assuming you have enough points.

Things are still be sorted but I guess those with time, money and passion will go others can only wish.
I'm in the same boat. I really want to go Marseille but flight prices are ridiculous now. I'm not being ripped off. Its looks like it's going to be the same for the other away games. If we reach the knockout stages you need to book the flights the moment the draw is made.

Last edited:

VojFromMars

Sep 3, 2023
It's pretty easy to find Ryanair flights on 4th october through Eindhoven for 75€. : or easy Jet - Ryanair combos for ~50€ on the same day. As an alt, there are also LGW -> MRS through Bordeaux (departure at 08:25 ; arrival at 16:35 ; yes close call) for 48€. - On 3rd evening you can get direct flight for 21€ (Ryanair STN -> MRS at 19:25) . Sure you'd might need an extra day off but I wouldn't describe it as a complete rip-off.

Metro and railways are two different kinds of beasts. We're glad our stadium is almost in the center of the city, and therefore on a urban metro service. Most of the clubs don't have this chance ... sad for you people.

For the person who asked if going back home with a 23:something plane was doable, I'd say. Yes it's doable. But better book a cab or an uber at a specific place on the metro line a tad away from the stadium and run for it. Or rush to St-Charles station and put your faith in it. Transfers from the station to the airport are usually smooth (the motorway starts right after the station and goes almost all the way to the airport) but it's still better to have an alternative plan just in case.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Ryanair will do you return flights out of Bristol weds to Saturday for £38 to Marseille

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Well not to re-hash it, but I’ve been consistently referred to as a bastard in terms of my profession by one user on here, as well as “why aren’t more people attacking railway staff”. I just don’t think the service is that bad compared to some stadiums, a lot of the problems are never going to be solved unless we have a new stadium, so I don’t get why some so consistently complain about it and most of the time it works fine, but you never see anyone refer to that. It quite often is shit, but the original post here, is complete hyperbole, of course they know the security risks. It’s not a crisis, or a nightmarish situation. The idea that no one puts on extra trains stupid, because it’s not true. Just don’t think anyone has a clue how it works. Just taking it particularly up with the “no extra trains” because for the last two home games while the majority of the network shut down at 7pm, Brighton to Falmer ran until 11pm. This is a thread about Marseille away, I don’t understand what that has to do with Falmer trains, this is completely off topic. Most of the time I am trying to be helpful, but it is getting shoehorned into a lot of threads.
It’s not hyperbole at all. It was always bad but has got even worse since crowds increased. It’s no solution at all to just shrug and say 'tough shit, there’s no chance of improving things.' Twice during the coldest period of last season I’ve been stuck on that bloody railway bridge for an hour, and for the same time in the park and ride crowd. The only way to avoid this is to leave before the end of the match which is why so many do so. I’ve never been aware of any extra trains being laid on in the direction of Eastbourne. Public transport in the UK is absolutely atrocious but perhaps you have to have lived in mainland Europe, where transport is regarded as a vital public service, to fully realise just how bad it is here. The trouble is, we’ve become so inured over so long to it being shit that we no longer think that cancelled services or queuing for an hour or more in the open air in winter are things worth complaining about.

Over Christmas, my teenaged godson who lives in Scotland will be staying with relatives in London. After all I’ve told him about Brighton he’s mad keen to come down for the Tottenham game on Boxing Day. But do you think there’s any chance of getting a train on Boxing Day? Of course not, this is the UK, not any other normal civilised country with a functioning public transport service. Don’t tell me I’m imagining this. We’re all to blame — the government, the unions, and especially the long-suffering travelling public who just shrug and say, well that’s just the way it is.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s not hyperbole at all. It was always bad but has got even worse since crowds increased. It’s no solution at all to just shrug and say 'tough shit, there’s no chance of improving things.' Twice during the coldest period of last season I’ve been stuck on that bloody railway bridge for an hour, and for the same time in the park and ride crowd. The only way to avoid this is to leave before the end of the match which is why so many do so. I’ve never been aware of any extra trains being laid on in the direction of Eastbourne. Public transport in the UK is absolutely atrocious but perhaps you have to have lived in mainland Europe, where transport is regarded as a vital public service, to fully realise just how bad it is here. The trouble is, we’ve become so inured over so long to it being shit that we no longer think that cancelled services or queuing for an hour or more in the open air in winter are things worth complaining about.

Over Christmas, my teenaged godson who lives in Scotland will be staying with relatives in London. After all I’ve told him about Brighton he’s mad keen to come down for the Tottenham game on Boxing Day. But do you think there’s any chance of getting a train on Boxing Day? Of course not, this is the UK, not any other normal civilised country with a functioning public transport service. Don’t tell me I’m imagining this. We’re all to blame — the government, the unions, and especially the long-suffering travelling public who just shrug and say, well that’s just the way it is.
Most countries don’t have Boxing Day so the problem doesn’t arise. In any case there have never been trains on Boxing Day. You make other arrangements. There are also transport issues at any large event with thousands of people. Always have been. I have queued into tube stations at Upton Park and Stamford Bridge for similar lengths of time. At the end of the day the transport links to Falmer have been well understood since we moved in and were considered a price worth paying. It’s because there isn’t much of an alternative other than trains or buses so there is a huge bottleneck that doesn’t exist at city centre grounds where people walk off in different directions to park or go to different stations. That’s not shrugging shoulders and not caring. It’s being appreciative of what we have rather than demanding it is different. Btw I’ve lived in Switzerland. Wonderful railway system. Hardly any people.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

It’s an 18:45 kick off, 15 minutes is probably important to you!

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Ryanair will do you return flights out of Bristol weds to Saturday for £38 to Marseille
This is also the case for East Midlands.
If anyone lives close to London, a train to East Mids is probably just as quick as trains across France that some are considering.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Plus the 15 minutes of added on Villa time to factor in too?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It's pretty easy to find Ryanair flights on 4th october through Eindhoven for 75€. : or easy Jet - Ryanair combos for ~50€ on the same day. As an alt, there are also LGW -> MRS through Bordeaux (departure at 08:25 ; arrival at 16:35 ; yes close call) for 48€. - On 3rd evening you can get direct flight for 21€ (Ryanair STN -> MRS at 19:25) . Sure you'd might need an extra day off but I wouldn't describe it as a complete rip-off.

Metro and railways are two different kinds of beasts. We're glad our stadium is almost in the center of the city, and therefore on a urban metro service. Most of the clubs don't have this chance ... sad for you people.

For the person who asked if going back home with a 23:something plane was doable, I'd say. Yes it's doable. But better book a cab or an uber at a specific place on the metro line a tad away from the stadium and run for it. Or rush to St-Charles station and put your faith in it. Transfers from the station to the airport are usually smooth (the motorway starts right after the station and goes almost all the way to the airport) but it's still better to have an alternative plan just in case.
Haven’t looked into it yet but I have a really early flight back to Stansted on the Friday morning, do the trains/metro run early for a transfer back to the airport from St Charles? or would it by wise to Uber?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Bristol airport is a long way from Bristol!!
Actually, Bristol Airport is one of the closest airports in the UK to its city centre. Very easy journey to/from the station - shuttle buses approx every 10 mins.
Also, Ryanair shouldn’t be dismissed..,their reliability stats generally compare well.
Not that I’m suggesting it as a combo for the Marseille game (apart from me…as I live near Bath!!)

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
East midlands to Marseille flight is 16 quid the Wednesday evening before the match!

Bristol to marseille is £18 the Wednesday morning ! Suprised more of these haven't been taken

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here